High Resolution Question

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What's up with the Infuse's colors? Is the brightness just down? Cause I thought the Super Amoled Plus display was supposed to be much more vibrant and contrasty than that.

Well you're really not seeing colors in that shot. Colors are where the screen really shines (if you like vibrant saturated colors). What you're seeing is the white difference, which I mentioned in another thread. The whites on the Atrix's qHD Pentile screen look much better (to me) than the whites on the Infuse, even at full brightness.

When I held the Infuse and Atrix side by side, the Infuse white backgrounds looked more grey. I don't think it's simply a design choice that Samsung opts for black backgrounds on the settings, calendar, and other apps in TouchWiz. Blacks on SAMOLED+ screens are the best, and they try to take advantage of that while minimizing it's weaker whites. That's my theory anyway.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Its all in the video coding. they have a new program that resizes the pixels you they look twice small so even though they are the same screen the picture will look way better due to this. so 480x800 will be more like 960x1600 ...:-! lol

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
When I held the Infuse and Atrix side by side, the Infuse white backgrounds looked more grey. I don't think it's simply a design choice that Samsung opts for black backgrounds on the settings, calendar, and other apps in TouchWiz. Blacks on SAMOLED+ screens are the best, and they try to take advantage of that while minimizing it's weaker whites. That's my theory anyway.

Actually, they go for back and dark color schemes because darkers colors consume less battery. Since the sub-pixels are switched off to produce blacks, that consumes no power. But for white, all subpixels drive at full, requiring max power for each pixel. That's why the phones with SAMOLED screens came in last in the power consumption tests based in web surfing -- most pages have white backgrounds, and that killed battery performance. That's why the E4GT has separate screen brightness controls on the browser level.

If you go with dark color schemes and don't surf a lot of web pages, you can get very good battery life, and that's the optimum scenario that was the basis for SAMOLED being kinder to batteries than LCD. But if you read a lot of webpages or read Kindle books with white backgrounds, battery consumption goes the opposite way.

Reactions: JayWill

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Is there some way we could turn the page background black and font white in android web browser? Any browser does it by setting?

cawkmaster

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually, they go for back and dark color schemes because darkers colors consume less battery. Since the sub-pixels are switched off to produce blacks, that consumes no power. But for white, all subpixels drive at full, requiring max power for each pixel. That's why the phones with SAMOLED screens came in last in the power consumption tests based in web surfing -- most pages have white backgrounds, and that killed battery performance. That's why the E4GT has separate screen brightness controls on the browser level.

If you go with dark color schemes and don't surf a lot of web pages, you can get very good battery life, and that's the optimum scenario that was the basis for SAMOLED being kinder to batteries than LCD. But if you read a lot of webpages or read Kindle books with white backgrounds, battery consumption goes the opposite way.

however on my droid charges whites really do look like ass so he has a very valid point and i wouldnt be surprised it aesthetics was in their logic

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
What's up with the Infuse's colors? Is the brightness just down? Cause I thought the Super Amoled Plus display was supposed to be much more vibrant and contrasty than that.

It could also be the fact that the whites on SAMOLED+ have a blueish hue to them rather than the true white of a traditional LCD. Personally, I don't really notice it unless there's another phone right by mine that has an LCD screen.

Latteart

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Is there some way we could turn the page background black and font white in android web browser? Any browser does it by setting?

I have always been able to do this in the browser. It is usually called inverting as someone else pointed out earlier.

BTW. If you want confirmation of pentile's downfall go look at the Bionic reviews. The only people that think it looks good are people wearing glasses(person confessed) or think that SAMOLED looks washed out.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have always been able to do this in the browser. It is usually called inverting as someone else pointed out earlier.

BTW. If you want confirmation of pentile's downfall go look at the Bionic reviews. The only people that think it looks good are people wearing glasses(person confessed) or think that SAMOLED looks washed out.

So thats why the pentile screens don't bother me , because of my glasses lol

Latteart

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So thats why the pentile screens don't bother me , because of my glasses lol

If you went and read the reviews you would understand what I was talking about. One guy said he didn't notice a problem but that it was probably because he didn't have his glasses on. I didn't generalize the statement just pointed out his situation.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
If you went and read the reviews you would understand what I was talking about. One guy said he didn't notice a problem but that it was probably because he didn't have his glasses on. I didn't generalize the statement just pointed out his situation.

That's strange because I wear glasses and when I went into a Sprint store to check out the Motorola Photon I CLEARLY saw the 'screen door' effect on its screen. I didn't know if it was a bad display unit or what... but it looked horrible and pretty much all of the other phones they had on display looked better.

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
That's strange because I wear glasses and when I went into a Sprint store to check out the Motorola Photon I CLEARLY saw the 'screen door' effect on its screen. I didn't know if it was a bad display unit or what... but it looked horrible and pretty much all of the other phones they had on display looked better.

I also noticed it on the nexus s and epic, drives me crazy

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it has anything to do with our eye's ability to focus, but rather our eyes and brains perception of colors. I've had very good vision all of my life and while I can see the screen door effect slightly, it doesn't bother me or lead me to the conclusion that the screen looks poor. Oddly enough, I think Moto's LCD PenTile RGBW screens look rather nice. I still prefer Sammy's SAMOLED Plus screen overall though.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
without my glasses i couldn't see the unlock screen on my phone let alone the screendoor effect lol . Its bad that people put down a phone based just on the screen but its the way things are. Alot of people don't care to much. I know that i can see tv on my 720 hd sreen and is prefect by my brother can't look at tv onless its 1080p and like 5 mil contrast or what ever is the highest . He can tell like in to seconds when it comes to stuff like that. He loves the Iphone screen and thought the Epic screen was good. He can't look at the Evo screen lol . If you are looking into the sreen you will see what your looking for and there are some people who's eyes are really good that they can just tell...

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
without my glasses i couldn't see the unlock screen on my phone let alone the screendoor effect lol . Its bad that people put down a phone based just on the screen but its the way things are. Alot of people don't care to much. I know that i can see tv on my 720 hd sreen and is prefect by my brother can't look at tv onless its 1080p and like 5 mil contrast or what ever is the highest . He can tell like in to seconds when it comes to stuff like that. He loves the Iphone screen and thought the Epic screen was good. He can't look at the Evo screen lol . If you are looking into the sreen you will see what your looking for and there are some people who's eyes are really good that they can just tell...

I think the reason why people seem to care about the screen so much is because it's the thing that you will have to look at when you use your phone at any given time. Especially when it's at 4.52"haha.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the reason why people seem to care about the screen so much is because it's the thing that you will have to look at when you use your phone at any given time. Especially when it's at 4.52"haha.

This was probably the biggest factor for me. When I have to look at the screen every day for 2 years it must look good. One pixel out would drive me nuts and seeing the Photon Screen it looks like thousands of pixels out. Retina display is by far the best I have seen but since the functionality isn't there in iOS, the android phone with the best screen tops my list, aka E4GT. Add in the room to grow with the awesome specs and I am set.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair