High Resolution Question

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I think the reason why people seem to care about the screen so much is because it's the thing that you will have to look at when you use your phone at any given time. Especially when it's at 4.52"haha.

Exactly!

And besides that, I think for me it was the fact that the qHD screen was such a major selling point and feature of the phone that maybe my expectations were too high. I've seen the iPhone screen, which is slightly higher res than qHD and that screen is freaking awesome, so I was expecting that the Photon's screen would be near as beautiful. When I actually saw it though, I was thinking this thing looks nowhere near the resolution advertised. I looked at it from a normal distance and can clearly see something funky, that screen door effect. I don't understand how you can see that with such a high res! Of course when I got home I looked it up and found out about PenTile displays and why they are no good.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
This was probably the biggest factor for me. When I have to look at the screen every day for 2 years it must look good. One pixel out would drive me nuts and seeing the Photon Screen it looks like thousands of pixels out. Retina display is by far the best I have seen but since the functionality isn't there in iOS, the android phone with the best screen tops my list, aka E4GT. Add in the room to grow with the awesome specs and I am set.

Yeah, I'd say this is my top 5 list of priorities

1. Proc.
2. Screen
3. Form factor (thinness)
4. Software
5. Camera

tom299

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Exactly!

And besides that, I think for me it was the fact that the qHD screen was such a major selling point and feature of the phone that maybe my expectations were too high. I've seen the iPhone screen, which is slightly higher res than qHD and that screen is freaking awesome, so I was expecting that the Photon's screen would be near as beautiful. When I actually saw it though, I was thinking this thing looks nowhere near the resolution advertised. I looked at it from a normal distance and can clearly see something funky, that screen door effect. I don't understand how you can see that with such a high res! Of course when I got home I looked it up and found out about PenTile displays and why they are no good.

I saw a Photon in real life last week. Also an EVO 3D.

NOT IMPRESSED at all by the screens.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
This was probably the biggest factor for me. When I have to look at the screen every day for 2 years it must look good. One pixel out would drive me nuts and seeing the Photon Screen it looks like thousands of pixels out. Retina display is by far the best I have seen but since the functionality isn't there in iOS, the android phone with the best screen tops my list, aka E4GT. Add in the room to grow with the awesome specs and I am set.

I agree that the Retina display is by far the best mobile screen I have seen as well. Haven't seen a Super Amoled Plus screen yet but I am assuming while it will look great it still won't be as good as the Retina display.........

So here is a Random question......If their was an Android phone that was released with a retina display like the iPhone 5 but the screen was only 4", would you buy that or still go with the larger, 4.5" Super Amoled Plus screen on the galaxy.

Just curious if people would prefer the larger screen over the better screen. I myself don't think I can go back to a 4" screen.....

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Know whats interesting about your list?

You don't even have anything on your list about call quality and actually using the device as a phone???

For me that also holds true. I almost NEVER make a phone call, not to my spouse or siblings or kids or friends. It's all text messaging and group messaging apps. My one exception is my 71 year old mother, so the phone abilities/quality mean very little to me.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

You don't even have anything on your list about call quality and actually using the device as a phone???
well its only a top 5 list . #6 was call quality , I saw the original top 10 list . :)

I talk on my phone a good amount so I would have that as #5

1 Software ( I like Sammy)
2 process
3 screen
4(a) Form factor (b) camera
5 call quality/radios

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree that the Retina display is by far the best mobile screen I have seen as well. Haven't seen a Super Amoled Plus screen yet but I am assuming while it will look great it still won't be as good as the Retina display.........

So here is a Random question......If their was an Android phone that was released with a retina display like the iPhone 5 but the screen was only 4", would you buy that or still go with the larger, 4.5" Super Amoled Plus screen on the galaxy.

Just curious if people would prefer the larger screen over the better screen. I myself don't think I can go back to a 4" screen.....

Well I'm used to 3.7" on my OG Droid so 4" would be fine by me. 4" makes a nice screen size. Not sure I could go any lower than that or any higher than 4.5.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

His list fits in pretty close to mine and for me radios and call quality is the bottom. I use less than 200 min a month. A smartphone is a phone that is least used as a phone for me lol.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I agree about the iPhone's retina display. However, to answer your question, once Samsung has the manufacturing process in place, I would probably prefer a SAMOLED Plus 4 to 4.3 inch display that is around qHD resolution and 300+ ppi. That to me would be the perfect screen.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

What the hell is a phone??? (sarcastic) lol
But I never really call anyone so it's sort of redundant for me and if I do, it's only for like a 10-15 second call.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Some of actually use phones as phones for work, family communications, etc. I do a ton of work on the web on it as well but for those of us who rely on them as tools and not just playthings, I'd put phone first (along with all communication types), web2nd and camera third.

Pretty scary that a generation is loosing the ability to actually communicate via voice with one another......

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Some of actually use phones as phones for work, family communications, etc. I do a ton of work on the web on it as well but for those of us who rely on them as tools and not just playthings, I'd put phone first (along with all communication types), web2nd and camera third.

Pretty scary that a generation is loosing the ability to actually communicate via voice with one another......

? How did you get that no1 cares about talking? People talk in many different ways. Texting is a form of communication. Some times its just way easier to send a text then to dial then wait to connect then it rings like 5 times eventhough they just herd it once to then ask your question get you answer and hang up...there are certain people you text and those that are really close or old you call :O). in your case then you would completely happy with the D Bionic or Photon , they have great radios for calling... :cool:

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I communicate via voice just fine. I'm 41, not one of the younger generation. I choose not to talk on the phone if I don't have to. There's not a thing wrong with that and I think you'll find the younger generation can communicate via voice just fine when they have to as well. I'd bet they communicate more than most adults.

ControlledChaos

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

My job requires me to communicate, by voice, IN PERSON, for 8+ hours a day. The last thing I want to do is talk to other people when texting them is 1)faster 2)easier to ignore if I am done with a conversation 3)quieter! :p

Latteart

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It has been proven that because the younger generation is typing more they are actually building a bigger vocabulary, spelling more precisely, and better at using grammar than their fathers and mothers. Happy now?!?!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It has been proven that because the younger generation is typing more they are actually building a bigger vocabulary, spelling more precisely, and better at using grammar than their fathers and mothers. Happy now?!?!

Yeah and when they have to interact with another person face to face, they blubber all over themselves, never make eye contact and can't wait to get the hell out of there. ;)

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
lol Interacting with people face to face has always been a problem for the younger people . Even when we were kids , that situation never changes for kids. But let them download tango or skype and video chat this way they can work on that problem. But if they are face to face they still wouldn't need a good radio on there phone to talk so were are back to square 1 I think we need to add more numbers to this to 5 list and make them all equal in value to each other so that they are all important to have on a phone.. :D