Doesn't anybody else have a problem with camera functionality?

notyrmma

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I got my Galaxy S II yesterday and I learned within an hour that if I tried to use camera while listening to music, it shut the music player off. After the photo taken, I had to manually restart the music player!
Today I tried to take a pic while on a call. Can't do it! What??
I've been searching the web all afternoon looking for other threads on this issue, and have found very few. Really? Nobody has a problem with this? It's ridiculous that an old phone like the HTC mytouch could do both those without a hitch and this fancy new phone cannot.
I had to download winamp app to be able to use phone while listening to music, and Camera 360 to take pics while on a call. But camera 360 makes you choose a mode before taking a pic, thereby wasting valuable time when you are trying to get a picture of something that may be fleeting. How's that for crappy?!
And though this is not camera related, I find it very disappointing that I can't use the internet while on a call. Really? I mean, I could do all these things with an old, slow mytouch, but not with this. Calls to Sprint resulted in a "yeah, it's true. Sorry." response. I'm truly confused as to how Samsung figured people would not want or need to use the camera while doing other stuff on phone.
If I wanted a camera that couldn't be used as anything else, I'd have bought a camera. I want a camera that I can 1) snap shots immediately w/o choosing what style I'd like them to be; and 2) do so while talking to the person to whom I'm describing whatever it is I'm shooting; and 3) be able to email the caller the pic while still on the phone with them.
All of the above I could do with the crappy mytouch. Why not with the Galaxy S II?

vintage712

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Meh, that's a level of multitasking I'm just not interested in.

It's a CDMA thing, not a phone thing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Doesn't anybody else have a problem with camera functionality

The whole not being able to surf the internet while on a call is strictly a CDMA issue. Coming from T-Mobile (I'm assuming based on the "Mytouch" comments") I imagine they can do that on most GSM networks.

As for the other things you mention, I agree with a previous poster, that is a level of multi tasking that I'm just not interested in so I don't find them disappointing. If I'm listening to music and snap a picture I'm actually okay if my music stops playing for that moment, especially given the quality of picture this phone takes. Likewise with being on a call, I can't say I've ever tried snapping a pick while on the phone with someone, usually concentrating on that call. I've certainly never tried to listen to music while on a call, that just seems distracting.

My apologies that I can't offer much assistance. I imagine 3rd party apps will wind up being your solution.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you're on 4g that is when you can be on the internet and on the call at the same time. Only then.

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Just tried it playing my Google music app over 4G & WiFi, as soon as i tapped the camera app to open the music stopped. Although its something thats not a big issue for me it does show the limitations we have. I'll try it out today but i use to be able to play my music and have GPS opes at the same time. If that doesn't work then i would have a issue with that. we will see... Just tested at home and it works!!! over both 4G & 3G so I'm good... Maybe the camera app is not set up to work while other apps are running in the background like the music app. Would be nice though if it did.

Last edited:

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Go back to tmo or live with it. Vzw would be the same
Most people probably don't care about that kind of multitasking, I knowI don't
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

notyrmma

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

So, I was told by Sprint and have read on various forums that it's possible to place a call and browse web simultaneously when there's a 4g connection. Well, it's not working for me. I tried numerous times when my phone shows 4g connectivity, and the web goes nowhere. Just says "page not available." And yes, I tried a variety of pages, it wasn't just a matter of the one website being down.

After reading a ton last night I finally got that Tmobile is a CDMA network. So, they have a version of the Galaxy sII (Hercules) supposedly coming out next week. I assume that means if I go back to the (very horrible) Tmo and get their version I will be able to multi-task?

I'm really surprised people are not interested in being able to do both at the same time! When trying to make plans with someone and you need to get info on restaurants, etc while on phone, you all hang up, look it up, and then call back? Damn.
I love being able to take pics of something I've just the told the caller about, and then emailing while still on phone so they can see it and we can then discuss!

notyrmma

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Maybe the camera app is not set up to work while other apps are running in the background like the music app. Would be nice though if it did.

yeah, the default camera does not work with music or on a call, and I'm sure when using other apps, though I don't know what.

I got the Winamp, and now I can listed to music and take a pic without interruption. The Doubletwist app did work for that.

I also got the Camera 360 app, which seems to let me take pics while on a call.

Now if there were just some way to browse/talk at same time...I don't want to go back to Tmo!