Menu key self-activating, I'm frustrated! What's happening here??

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I have been with this phone almost three weeks now, and I really love it. I ordered it from wirefly, and things were great, with one exception: battery life was horrible; and from horrible I mean loosing 10-15% average an hour for almost no use. I used to run out of the juice with low to medium use in about 6-7 hours. I did hard reset twice, installed juicedefender, and still no noticeable benefits. I realized something was wrong, so I contacted wirefly and they shipped me a new epic touch, which I activated this morning, but could not ship the old one back today. Battery life has been amazingly better on this new phone. It has been off the charger for about 15 hours, with some heavy use, and it still has managed to keep 32% juice saved, so yes, it should almost confirm that my first epic was a lemon probably. For the first time ever since I got my epic touch have I crossed 12 hours limit without touching a charger.

Thats all good, but interestingly the old device, which is set to go back after I finish its hard reset, (and which was taken off the charger 15 hours ago too), has still managed keep 75% of the juice on it after 15 hours. Yes I was not using it whole day, but it was on wifi all this time, it was syncing my gmail and checking yahoo mail, and it still has all the apps it had till yesterday, with only difference being today its been deactivated, and cant use its radios. It used to lose 10% per hour till yesterday just by sitting on the table, and today it lost only 1.67% per hour. Why such a drastic change after deactivation??

Now I wouldn't even bother asking the above question if my new epic didn't have issues of its own. Although Its really good with the battery, today its menu soft key went wild by self activating. I was watching a video, and decided to place a call. Suddenly after the call the menu soft key started activating on its own continuously, even tough I was not touching it. Every time I would unlock the device, menu key would start self activating, and reboots did not help it. It was as if someone invisible is continuously tapping the menu key, and the device would keep vibrating in my hand with each such press. Then all the soft buttons froze up, and didnt respond till after a soft reset. I uninstalled all of the installed apps, and still the issue remains, albeit its not consistent now. It happens when it happens, then I lock the device and it goes away upon unlocking, but comes up again later. I havent done a hard reset, because if its a hardware problem, I would rather face it now, and get the device replaced rather than let it get hidden behind a hard reset, and later face it when I am outside replacement period.

Second, for some reason the battery use graph is reporting less time being on battery than how long its actually been. Its been on battery almost 16 hours now, but device reports 12 hours on battery. Moreover, this time actually jumped backwards - it was reporting 12hrs an hour ago, then it went to reporting 11 hours on battery, then it grew back to 12 hours on battery, I just did a reboot and its again saying 11 hours on battery now. Whats happening?

All my excitement of having found the perfect epic touch for me since morning went down the tube. Needless to say I am extremely frustrated right now. Wirefly replacement process is not as quick and walking into a sprint store. So my question is: has anyone any idea why the menu key is acting up? and Should I ask wirefly for another replacement, to try to get the first one activated again? First one had poor battery life but was usable. Second one has excellent battery life, but is totally unusable and annoying to hold/use when the problem comes up.

End of my long post... But seriously, what should I do :mad: :mad: :mad:

arieljanae19

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Menu key self-activating, I'm frustrated! What's happening he

My menu button is doing the exact same thing my battery life is ok but this phone is aggravating me. I too thought i found the best phone everything is good besides the constant menu button activating itself. Not just that sometimes the keys dont work at all :( its soo annoying to have to lock the phone and unlock just to get them to work. What's ggoing on? Trade for iphone four? Don't want to have to go that route

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Ok, so I have been with this phone almost three weeks now, and I really love it. I ordered it from wirefly, and things were great, with one exception: battery life was horrible; and from horrible I mean loosing 10-15% average an hour for almost no use. I used to run out of the juice with low to medium use in about 6-7 hours. I did hard reset twice, installed juicedefender, and still no noticeable benefits. I realized something was wrong, so I contacted wirefly and they shipped me a new epic touch, which I activated this morning, but could not ship the old one back today. Battery life has been amazingly better on this new phone. It has been off the charger for about 15 hours, with some heavy use, and it still has managed to keep 32% juice saved, so yes, it should almost confirm that my first epic was a lemon probably. For the first time ever since I got my epic touch have I crossed 12 hours limit without touching a charger.

Thats all good, but interestingly the old device, which is set to go back after I finish its hard reset, (and which was taken off the charger 15 hours ago too), has still managed keep 75% of the juice on it after 15 hours. Yes I was not using it whole day, but it was on wifi all this time, it was syncing my gmail and checking yahoo mail, and it still has all the apps it had till yesterday, with only difference being today its been deactivated, and cant use its radios. It used to lose 10% per hour till yesterday just by sitting on the table, and today it lost only 1.67% per hour. Why such a drastic change after deactivation??

Now I wouldn't even bother asking the above question if my new epic didn't have issues of its own. Although Its really good with the battery, today its menu soft key went wild by self activating. I was watching a video, and decided to place a call. Suddenly after the call the menu soft key started activating on its own continuously, even tough I was not touching it. Every time I would unlock the device, menu key would start self activating, and reboots did not help it. It was as if someone invisible is continuously tapping the menu key, and the device would keep vibrating in my hand with each such press. Then all the soft buttons froze up, and didnt respond till after a soft reset. I uninstalled all of the installed apps, and still the issue remains, albeit its not consistent now. It happens when it happens, then I lock the device and it goes away upon unlocking, but comes up again later. I havent done a hard reset, because if its a hardware problem, I would rather face it now, and get the device replaced rather than let it get hidden behind a hard reset, and later face it when I am outside replacement period.

Second, for some reason the battery use graph is reporting less time being on battery than how long its actually been. Its been on battery almost 16 hours now, but device reports 12 hours on battery. Moreover, this time actually jumped backwards - it was reporting 12hrs an hour ago, then it went to reporting 11 hours on battery, then it grew back to 12 hours on battery, I just did a reboot and its again saying 11 hours on battery now. Whats happening?

All my excitement of having found the perfect epic touch for me since morning went down the tube. Needless to say I am extremely frustrated right now. Wirefly replacement process is not as quick and walking into a sprint store. So my question is: has anyone any idea why the menu key is acting up? and Should I ask wirefly for another replacement, to try to get the first one activated again? First one had poor battery life but was usable. Second one has excellent battery life, but is totally unusable and annoying to hold/use when the problem comes up.

End of my long post... But seriously, what should I do :mad: :mad: :mad:
Menu key going nuts would be enough for me to swap out for new.
You might want to do the same.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Why are you guys just complaining about your phones menu button not working instead of taking it in for an exchange?

Its a hardware issue that clearly justifies being replaced. Take it in and I hope the replacements you receive last you years to come.

Best of luck and dont wait any long to get it exchanged

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

arieljanae19

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I went to sprint and they would not give me a replacement then when I called a Rep told me that there was nothing they could do since they can't see it happen basically or I could pay the 100 bucks for a deductible for insurance replacement and I refuse. So sprint store just did hard rset and I think maybe it was an all..

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Same thing happened to me so I quickly called Wirefly for an exchange before the 14 days were up. I opted for them to ship the new phone first and I won't have to be without a phone. That required a hold on your credit card for the phone's full price, which would be removed once they received the old/defective phone.

On the new phone now and haven't ONCE experienced that menu key self activating. I made sure to test everything thoroughly too to see if there are any other problems or defects and everything seems to work perfectly so far!

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear that things are better now, just stay positive and make sure you wait a few days before reinstalling each app. This might help you identify which one was causing you issues.

Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

Last edited:

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

This can't be app specific problem, at least it is not in my case. I did a hard reset twice, and the problem is still there. I haven't installed anything after hard reset, so it is device's problem. It doesn't show up for most of the times, and then suddenly menu starts doing the up-and-down dance with accompanying vibrations providing the annoying music:'( .

arieljanae19

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Yea mine started doing it again so I called back today and when said she is just going go give me a replacement because I have no apps installed and the ghost came back. Try to get a replacement make sure no apps are on when u take it so don't won't give u excuses. I've had problems since I got the phone and I always got the excuse that it's an app. This phone is supposed to handle everything almost I thought!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty