I Found an Epic 4G Touch Extended Battery & Protective Case Combo

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: I Found an Epic 4G Touch Extended Battery & Protective Case C

I still don't see how your speaker isn't covered by the case if its for the Skyrocket.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

Nice! Thanks for the pics. That should give some doubters an idea of how negligible the size difference is between the phones.

So, do you insert the phone into it like a rubber/silicone sleeve? Or does it come apart somewhere and you slide it in?

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

DrummerBoy1975, after receiving your feedback, I took my phone to the Sprint store and asked them to look at it. They were amazed to see how ideally this case fit and worked with their phone (Epic 4G Touch). After examining, they said that everything appeared to line up ideally besides the speaker being off by a mm. Interestingly enough, they observed that I could still talk and hear with no problem; and that this did not affect communication. Nevertheless, being the stickler that I am, I had him to slightly enlarge the opening for the speaker that was already there (which was only off by a smidgen) and it did the trick. I realize now that the phones are not perfectly 100% identical, but the 99% commonalities makes this case the ideal case for me. Again, if the options currently used are doing the trick for you, then there is no need to change by any means. But as an earlier poster (Murphy5111) replied, the options for our Epic 4G touch are just so limited and virtually non-existent. Therefore, until viable options come available, this one (by far) is the one that works best for me!!!

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the support djjr50. I was actually expecting more excitement about this option than received. But, nonetheless, I am glad to have had the opportunity to post and share this information. To answer your question, it does simply slide in like a rubber/silicone sleeve. What's so ideal is that the battery is built in the case. So, you plug the case cable into your phone, quickly and smoothly insert your phone, and you are in business. I cannot believe the amount of battery talk time I have. I was so frustrated with spending $70 for a Seidio battery and could never double my talk time (even after discharging it and recharging it several times). But this one is simply and straightforward and considering that no other comparable options (as it pertains to both having an extended battery and protective case) are just not available, I will count my blessings on finding this one. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks 2ndaccord. It may appear big, but for an extended battery/protective case combo, it is actually sleek compared to my ballistic case I was initially using with simply my standard Epic 4G Touch battery. You still may want to go to your local AT&T store and check it out. It is just nice to have some type of an option until more attractive options become available. Thanks again!!!

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Y'all do know that there are several Otterbox like cases available for our phone?

Seidio has one as does Ballistic and several others.

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

DrummerBoy1975, there are actually numerous cases (probably too many to count) including the Otterbox that are available for our Epic 4G touches. That was not the challenge. The challenge was the availability of any protective cases that would accommodate an extended battery. Even Seidio provides a replacement door with its extended battery but not a protective case (although they do for other phones). So, this post is not for those simply looking for a case but a viable option to securing both an extended battery coupled with a protective casing solution.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Those pictures are great! Thanks for sharing them, Wise. This solves the issue of the camera shape not being the same, because the case just has a whole top 1/3 section cut out at the top. However, as for the speaker port on the backside on the bottom, the sprint version is on the left, where the att version is on the right. It's not a mm difference, it's a 1" difference. Other than that, the phone dimensions themselves are negligible on case fit - I'm sure it's snug as a bug in a rug.

If ATT or Frys or Best Buy ever carry it, then I'll check it out. Thanks!

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Chrisingrassia, thanks for your kind words. However, the case that I have has the insert for the speaker itself on the left side of the phone (the same exact side that the speaker port is one my Epic 4G touch). So, I don't know why they would put the AT&T Skyrocket phone speaker's port on the right yet put the speaker port on the case on the left. So, something is not right here. So, for credibility purposes, please see the attached photo (I took the phone out the case and lined it up) of phone speaker port and the opening on the AT&T skyrocket case for the speaker port. They are not only both on the same side (the left side) but they are almost perfectly aligned (off by a mm). The picture speaks for itself. And even it being off by only a smidgen, it still did not affect the speaker quality (although I slightly extended this opening). Hope this helps. Thanks!!!

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

Chrisingrassia, thanks for your kind words. However, the case that I have has the insert for the speaker itself on the left side of the phone (the same exact side that the speaker port is one my Epic 4G touch). So, I don't know why they would put the AT&T Skyrocket phone speaker's port on the right yet put the speaker port on the case on the left. So, something is not right here. So, for credibility purposes, please see the attached photo (I took the phone out the case and lined it up) of phone speaker port and the opening on the AT&T skyrocket case for the speaker port. They are not only both on the same side (the left side) but they are almost perfectly aligned (off by a mm). The picture speaks for itself. And even it being off by only a smidgen, it still did not affect the speaker quality (although I slightly extended this opening). Hope this helps. Thanks!!!

That's the mic that you are indicating in the Pic. They are referring to the speaker on the back of the device.

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Sorry djjr50, I stand corrected. As I mentioned on my very first post, I am not the most technically experienced person when it comes to cell phone. Hold on, I am about to play music on my phone and see what happens!!! Stay tuned...OK, it sounds good (I can't tell any difference). But to be on the safe side, I will cut a small opening in the event the sound is compromised in any manner. Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

OK, this is all starting to make sense now :). Except for the whole extra battery thing. In one of your pics, is there a cord running actually within the case? I charge the case's 1500mah battery, and the case has a cord that plugs into the micro usb port to use the 1800mah battery? Which battery draws down first? I've read some other sites (XDA, etc), and it sounds like this powerskin stuff is bad for the battery in the phone....

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

OK, this is all starting to make sense now :). Except for the whole extra battery thing. In one of your pics, is there a cord running actually within the case? I charge the case's 1500mah battery, and the case has a cord that plugs into the micro usb port to use the 1800mah battery? Which battery draws down first? I've read some other sites (XDA, etc), and it sounds like this powerskin stuff is bad for the battery in the phone....

The MicroUSB port on your phone is what the battery pack/case uses to power your phone. So you plug the phone into the case, and the case has its own charging port. with the case on, you can charge the phone's battery with the power that is in the case. The phone's battery will always be the first to drain, but if you have the case activated, it will replenish the phone's battery. Its like using your charger.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

The MicroUSB port on your phone is what the battery pack/case uses to power your phone. So you plug the phone into the case, and the case has its own charging port. with the case on, you can charge the phone's battery with the power that is in the case. The phone's battery will always be the first to drain, but if you have the case activated, it will replenish the phone's battery. Its like using your charger.

Got it! It wasn't until I saw the picture with the cord inside the case that I started to understand it. Thanks!!

Ya know, wouldn't it be nice to have a manufacturer build us a 3000mah battery and nice branded case/cover/protector, but then also build a docking station for it as well? Dude, everyone I know with this phone would be all over it :).

Wise-Wright

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I could not agree more Chrisingrassia. Maybe if we put all of our resources together and lobby, we could get someone to develop the batter, case/cover/protector as well as the docking station. And by the way, the battery life of my new power pack coupled with the standard battery has more than exceeded all of my expectations. It by far outlasts the Seidio extended battery. I am so pleased. Of course as discovered earlier, the speaker is covered, but I still have good sound and I am willing to compromise this one component for everything else gained until we as "Epic 4G touch" advocates get our own customized "extended battery" accessories. Thanks and take care!!!

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I don't get it, I have a nice rubber wrap around and 2 extra batteries. The Epic 4g boots so quickly why would anyone want that big super battery? I would rather have the slim profile and carry a spare 1,800 + 1,800 = 3,600 not 3,300 when I need it. My 2 spares and the charger cost $10 and the case $3. Makes no sense to me to get that big monster battery. Again, the Epic 4g back comes off in a jiffy and reboots in 15 seconds. Oh well. :)

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I stopped by 2 ATT stores and finally got one.
Here are my thoughts.
I had to cut a new hold just above the volume keys, this is a 2nd mic used for noise canceling.
I had to cut a new hold for the headset jack on the top of the unit.
I had to cut a new hold a the bottom of the unit for the external speaker. What saves this is the fact that the Epic Touch is loud compared to other smart phones. The audio is a tad bit muffled but i compared it to my EVO 3D and guess what, with the audio being muffled a bit its still LOUDER then the EVO 3D. LOL Gotta love it.
I also had to widen the hold at the bottom for the primary microphone. As the OP pointed out this hole is pretty close to the skyrocket. But thats about all that matched up.
What i like about it -
1. Extra battery.
2. Soft gel case in case i drop it.
3. by using a different micro usb port, i now save wear and tear on the devices micro usb port.

Now i just need to find a big enough case / pouch i can wear on my belt and i will be happy.

is it worth 80 bucks. not sure, but since i love the phone so much i decided to get one. The value will depend on the individual buyer.

My case doesnt look pretty with all of the extra holes i had to make, but damn its functional.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I stopped by 2 ATT stores and finally got one.
Here are my thoughts.
I had to cut a new hold just above the volume keys, this is a 2nd mic used for noise canceling.
I had to cut a new hold for the headset jack on the top of the unit.
I had to cut a new hold a the bottom of the unit for the external speaker. What saves this is the fact that the Epic Touch is loud compared to other smart phones. The audio is a tad bit muffled but i compared it to my EVO 3D and guess what, with the audio being muffled a bit its still LOUDER then the EVO 3D. LOL Gotta love it.
I also had to widen the hold at the bottom for the primary microphone. As the OP pointed out this hole is pretty close to the skyrocket. But thats about all that matched up.
What i like about it -
1. Extra battery.
2. Soft gel case in case i drop it.
3. by using a different micro usb port, i now save wear and tear on the devices micro usb port.

Now i just need to find a big enough case / pouch i can wear on my belt and i will be happy.

is it worth 80 bucks. not sure, but since i love the phone so much i decided to get one. The value will depend on the individual buyer.

My case doesnt look pretty with all of the extra holes i had to make, but damn its functional.

Possible to see some pics of all the mods you had to make? Sounds like a whole lot of effort. I'm very glad tho that the OP has been validated in her recommendation. The product as a whole sounds nice, but the area around the camera (with the top 1/3 section basically missing) seems like it will look goofy.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Pics attached.
The only thing i screwed up on was the top right corner. I pulled on a piece of rubber i cut and it ripped the front part. So i completely tore it off. Other then that its ugly but works.
Oh and for some odd reason at the bottom in the middle where the 4 buttons are, theres a little bit of a gap.
That might be from me stretching and pulling when i was modifying it.

EDIT upon further examination, it seems the USB port inside is a tad bit pushed forward on our devices, this is causing the bottom to buldge up.
I went in and shaved some of the rubber and it helped. Will do more tomorrow..

Last edited: