Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    2,867 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock...for now

Default Re: I Found an Epic 4G Touch Extended Battery & Protective Case C

Quote Originally Posted by Wise-Wright View Post
    Chrisingrassia, thanks for your kind words. However, the case that I have has the insert for the speaker itself on the left side of the phone (the same exact side that the speaker port is one my Epic 4G touch). So, I don't know why they would put the AT&T Skyrocket phone speaker's port on the right yet put the speaker port on the case on the left. So, something is not right here. So, for credibility purposes, please see the attached photo (I took the phone out the case and lined it up) of phone speaker port and the opening on the AT&T skyrocket case for the speaker port. They are not only both on the same side (the left side) but they are almost perfectly aligned (off by a mm). The picture speaks for itself. And even it being off by only a smidgen, it still did not affect the speaker quality (although I slightly extended this opening). Hope this helps. Thanks!!!
    That's the mic that you are indicating in the Pic. They are referring to the speaker on the back of the device.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

Sorry djjr50, I stand corrected. As I mentioned on my very first post, I am not the most technically experienced person when it comes to cell phone. Hold on, I am about to play music on my phone and see what happens!!! Stay tuned...OK, it sounds good (I can't tell any difference). But to be on the safe side, I will cut a small opening in the event the sound is compromised in any manner. Thanks again!!!

Carrier
    UnNamed v.2.0.1

OK, this is all starting to make sense now . Except for the whole extra battery thing. In one of your pics, is there a cord running actually within the case? I charge the case's 1500mah battery, and the case has a cord that plugs into the micro usb port to use the 1800mah battery? Which battery draws down first? I've read some other sites (XDA, etc), and it sounds like this powerskin stuff is bad for the battery in the phone....

Global Posts
    2,867 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock...for now

Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    OK, this is all starting to make sense now . Except for the whole extra battery thing. In one of your pics, is there a cord running actually within the case? I charge the case's 1500mah battery, and the case has a cord that plugs into the micro usb port to use the 1800mah battery? Which battery draws down first? I've read some other sites (XDA, etc), and it sounds like this powerskin stuff is bad for the battery in the phone....
    The MicroUSB port on your phone is what the battery pack/case uses to power your phone. So you plug the phone into the case, and the case has its own charging port. with the case on, you can charge the phone's battery with the power that is in the case. The phone's battery will always be the first to drain, but if you have the case activated, it will replenish the phone's battery. Its like using your charger.

Carrier
    UnNamed v.2.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by djjr50 View Post
    The MicroUSB port on your phone is what the battery pack/case uses to power your phone. So you plug the phone into the case, and the case has its own charging port. with the case on, you can charge the phone's battery with the power that is in the case. The phone's battery will always be the first to drain, but if you have the case activated, it will replenish the phone's battery. Its like using your charger.
    Got it! It wasn't until I saw the picture with the cord inside the case that I started to understand it. Thanks!!

Ya know, wouldn't it be nice to have a manufacturer build us a 3000mah battery and nice branded case/cover/protector, but then also build a docking station for it as well? Dude, everyone I know with this phone would be all over it .
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

I could not agree more Chrisingrassia. Maybe if we put all of our resources together and lobby, we could get someone to develop the batter, case/cover/protector as well as the docking station. And by the way, the battery life of my new power pack coupled with the standard battery has more than exceeded all of my expectations. It by far outlasts the Seidio extended battery. I am so pleased. Of course as discovered earlier, the speaker is covered, but I still have good sound and I am willing to compromise this one component for everything else gained until we as "Epic 4G touch" advocates get our own customized "extended battery" accessories. Thanks and take care!!!

I don't get it, I have a nice rubber wrap around and 2 extra batteries. The Epic 4g boots so quickly why would anyone want that big super battery? I would rather have the slim profile and carry a spare 1,800 + 1,800 = 3,600 not 3,300 when I need it. My 2 spares and the charger cost $10 and the case $3. Makes no sense to me to get that big monster battery. Again, the Epic 4g back comes off in a jiffy and reboots in 15 seconds. Oh well.

I stopped by 2 ATT stores and finally got one.
    Here are my thoughts.
    I had to cut a new hold just above the volume keys, this is a 2nd mic used for noise canceling.
    I had to cut a new hold for the headset jack on the top of the unit.
    I had to cut a new hold a the bottom of the unit for the external speaker. What saves this is the fact that the Epic Touch is loud compared to other smart phones. The audio is a tad bit muffled but i compared it to my EVO 3D and guess what, with the audio being muffled a bit its still LOUDER then the EVO 3D. LOL Gotta love it.
    I also had to widen the hold at the bottom for the primary microphone. As the OP pointed out this hole is pretty close to the skyrocket. But thats about all that matched up.
    What i like about it -
    1. Extra battery.
    2. Soft gel case in case i drop it.
    3. by using a different micro usb port, i now save wear and tear on the devices micro usb port.

Now i just need to find a big enough case / pouch i can wear on my belt and i will be happy.

is it worth 80 bucks. not sure, but since i love the phone so much i decided to get one. The value will depend on the individual buyer.

My case doesnt look pretty with all of the extra holes i had to make, but damn its functional.

Carrier
    UnNamed v.2.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Here are my thoughts.
    I had to cut a new hold just above the volume keys, this is a 2nd mic used for noise canceling.
    I had to cut a new hold a the bottom of the unit for the external speaker. What saves this is the fact that the Epic Touch is loud compared to other smart phones. The audio is a tad bit muffled but i compared it to my EVO 3D and guess what, with the audio being muffled a bit its still LOUDER then the EVO 3D. LOL Gotta love it.
    I also had to widen the hold at the bottom for the primary microphone. As the OP pointed out this hole is pretty close to the skyrocket. But thats about all that matched up.
    What i like about it -
    1. Extra battery.
    3. by using a different micro usb port, i now save wear and tear on the devices micro usb port.

Now i just need to find a big enough case / pouch i can wear on my belt and i will be happy.

is it worth 80 bucks. not sure, but since i love the phone so much i decided to get one. The value will depend on the individual buyer.

My case doesnt look pretty with all of the extra holes i had to make, but damn its functional.
    Possible to see some pics of all the mods you had to make? Sounds like a whole lot of effort. I'm very glad tho that the OP has been validated in her recommendation. The product as a whole sounds nice, but the area around the camera (with the top 1/3 section basically missing) seems like it will look goofy.

Pics attached.
    The only thing i screwed up on was the top right corner. I pulled on a piece of rubber i cut and it ripped the front part. So i completely tore it off. Other then that its ugly but works.
    Oh and for some odd reason at the bottom in the middle where the 4 buttons are, theres a little bit of a gap.
    That might be from me stretching and pulling when i was modifying it.

EDIT upon further examination, it seems the USB port inside is a tad bit pushed forward on our devices, this is causing the bottom to buldge up.
    I went in and shaved some of the rubber and it helped. Will do more tomorrow..

Carrier
    UnNamed v.2.0.1

Pics attached.
    The only thing i screwed up on was the top right corner. I pulled on a piece of rubber i cut and it ripped the front part. So i completely tore it off. Other then that its ugly but works.
    Oh and for some odd reason at the bottom in the middle where the 4 buttons are, theres a little bit of a gap.
    That might be from me stretching and pulling when i was modifying it.

EDIT upon further examination, it seems the USB port inside is a tad bit pushed forward on our devices, this is causing the bottom to buldge up.
    I went in and shaved some of the rubber and it helped. Will do more tomorrow..
    Awesome pictures!! Those pics in the beginning of this post would have saved everyone a lot of
    time . Judging on the looks of that case, i think i will have to pass. Hopefully someone else is looking for something exactly like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  

wolfiered1, it really comes down to preference. However, I have never been a fan of carrying a spare battery because I personally don't want the inconvenience of removing a case (to gain access to battery compartment) and then having to replace it. With this case, I can basically charge by phone battery as well as the battery pack in one convenient setting (lasting me easily for the entire day). And that in itself makes it worth the extra funds for me. But again, this is just simply preference.

This case with battery sure does trap the heat in. That's something I didn't take into consideration earlier.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Here are my thoughts.
    What i like about it -
    1. Extra battery.

You may be able to save some cutting, I think the hole over the volume rocker is a lanyard strap. Unless you use a lanyard of course!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

What's interesting is the only adjustment I have made to this case was expanding the mic hole by just a mm and everything else has been working find. I turn it on and off by the button on the case, I adjust the volume by the buttons on the case, and although the speaker is covered, I still have good quality sound. Now, as it pertains to the headphone jack, I use a bluetooth and this is not a factor for me. And so far, I am noticing that it is more than doubling my talk time (The Seidio gave me about 1.5 between sometimes 2x extra talk time but this device is appearing to be 2.5 X although it claims 2X). And it has not run hot on me at all. For some reason, it just has worked completely flawlessly for me. I really don't think it is necessary to cut as many holes. I would advice trying the case and see what works for you (as IAmSixNine did) and what doesn't. You more than likely will be pleasantly surprise. Thanks again!!!

From an engineering perspective, most devices have a 2nd mic for noise canceling.
    Theres a great wiki explination but i never book marked it so i cant reference it now. sorry.
    BUT that hole above the volume keys should be the for that purpose. What ever makes you happy.
    If your phone is working great with it covered then who am i to argue. LOL
    Just as long as YOUR happy with it is all that matters.

The epic unfortunately only has one mic. The hole above the volume buttons is for a lanyard.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Damn It your absolutely right 2ndaccord Thank You.
    Im man enough to admit when i am wrong. (hold on while i mark this down on my calendar) Im allowed 2 mistakes a year. LOL

Simple answer for all of this. On amazon I got a 3800 mah extended battery and back cover for my epic 4g touch. I got a gel case at the sprint store and cut out the back. VOILA! Tons of time for talk, playing and strreaming data with (1) 3800

No fuss. no muss and only ONE battery.

Ya'll aren't gonna believe this... you're both right. I just found this out today.

After reading this confusing page, I've hit three AT&T stores with my Sprint Galaxy S II wanting to ask if I could take their powerskin out of the box and see if it fit. None of them carried it. At Best Buy as well, two mall AT&T stores, and one AT&T store outside of a strip mall, the same was true. I was about to give up. In all cases, I took my Galaxy out of the case, held it up to the Galaxy S II Skyrocket they had, and kept thinking, yep... these are two completely different phones. Not similar at all. But this thread insists the Powerskin will fit, so I wanted to check it out even still, and considered risking $50 at Amazon. But juuuuust didn't trust it yet.

Today I was on my way somewhere and had time to kill. I noticed an AT&T store. I figured, WTF, let's try one more time. I go in, and while I'm waiting for someone to help me so I could ask if they carried the Powerskin, there was the Skyrocket. And... holy cow, it's exactly like MINE! For some reason all the other Skyrockets I looked at were entirely different, but here I was, at an AT&T store, and their Skyrocket was... well okay, a little different, but completely different than the Skyrocket at all those other stores, and so very very similar to mine. And they did carry the Powerskin, and it did fit my Sprint Galaxy S II.

So you're all right. This is weird as can be, but it turns out different AT&T dealers have one of two very different models of phones called the Galaxy S II Skyrocket. That is why we've all been confused here, with some of you saying it's the same and some of you saying it's not. Keep looking and eventually you might discover the same thing I did. Find an AT&T store with one like your Sprint phone and you'll probably find they carry the Powerskin, while others do not.

My conclusion, therefore, is that they do not make a Powerskin for that smaller other version at all. So if you see a Powerskin for the AT&T Skyrocket, it will fit your Sprint Galaxy S II, so it's a safe purchase. I'm ordering mine now for $50 instead of $80 in the store, and have every confidence it'll fit based on what I did in the store.

You might be confusing the Samsung Galaxy S II with the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket.
    They look alike.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Here is one way to solve the dilemma. I have included contact info for Power-Skin with this post. I will be calling in the morning and doing my best to compel them to release a version for the Sprint branded phone. The current lack of a specific battery/case has nothing to do with Sprint. The case manufacturer has fo decide if the market is viable, which it certainly seems to be. If we pass this on and start pushing we might just get this accomplished. Also, when you connect the battery in the case to the phone it does increase the capacity in the aggregate, so in effect you get the same result as if it was one larger battery. So let's all bother the hell out of Power-Skin. As the man says, Get-er-done!

General Questions
    Tel. (866) 972-5769
    Fax. (209) 578-9912

Technical Support, Returns & Exchanges
    Tel. (866) 972-5769
    Fax. (209) 578-9912
    Contact Form
    Media
    Jennifer Reiss
    Max Borges Agency
    (305) 374-4404 x 144

Sales
    David Becker
    (310) 415-0433

I charge my phone every night..... and it last about 9 to 10 hours (with bluetooth and GPS on the whole day). At the end of those hours, I return to my car and drive home (using car charger).

I've lived through the EVO battery crisis....the S2 is a dream compared to that.
    Wicell likes this.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Just spoke to David Becker, sales manager at Power-Skin. He advised that they ARE going to release a specific product for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch and it is scheduled to be available in March of this year. Can be ordered direct or thru Amazon. Ain't capitalism great?!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast