Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

Unhappy Epic 4G can't get a GPS lock

I have tried everything from resetting the phone to reinstalling maps. Sprint even sent me a new phone. I can't freaking get a lock anymore even with full signal just a big circle and in navigation is says "Searchign for GPS....". Anyway to fix this. Please help

Global Posts
    2,814 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock...for now

Default Re: Epic 4G can't get a GPS lock

If you go into the 'Location and Security, setting, I would try enabling the "Use Wireless Networks" option. I think that helps get a lock on faster.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch->Samsung GS3 16GB Pebble Blue
    Thanked by:
    Biggnaa20 likes this.

I have the same issue, some day it would lock on in seconds, some day (especially when I need it). Would lock on like never. I got gps status application, and it helps when I clear a-gps history, but not always. But definitely frustrating enough that I am starting to not like the phone
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

None of the above works for me. What gives? It used to work perfectly now when I drive the same place it is just searching and searching.... even spent 40 min on the phone with sprint and they had no idea how to fix.

Mine does the same thing. I did reset the agps though an app and that helps sometimes buy not always.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Have you guys gotten the latest update from Sprint? The one that brings you up to Android 2.3.6 ? I had the same exact issue and it was infuriating. I was about to go into a Sprint store and demand a new phone but the day I got the update, my GPS works marvelously. Lock in 5-6 seconds. And now, when I'm in my apartment, as long as I'm near a window, it will lock on WITHOUT wifi.

Before, it would never EVER find me when I was indoors. I hope this helps.

I haven't tried GPS after i updated. Maybe i should see if it works now.

Quote Originally Posted by bringdownthesky View Post
    Have you guys gotten the latest update from Sprint? The one that brings you up to Android 2.3.6 ? I had the same exact issue and it was infuriating. I was about to go into a Sprint store and demand a new phone but the day I got the update, my GPS works marvelously. Lock in 5-6 seconds. And now, when I'm in my apartment, as long as I'm near a window, it will lock on WITHOUT wifi.

Before, it would never EVER find me when I was indoors. I hope this helps.
    Mine's the opposite. Worked perfectly before EK02, so much so that I was in the process of forgiving Samsung for months of frustration with GPS on my Epic 4G. After EK02, however, and it takes forever to lock when it actually will lock, and then this morning it wouldn't lock at all. Rebooting didin't help. Only thing that did was to load up GPS Status and refresh the GPS cache.

Why Samsung can't make a reliable GPS is beyond me. Truly it is.

since the update my gps has failed me. .used it for the first time since the update and it couldn find my starting point correctly, had me lost and i was late for a rehearsal.. i tried rebooting and everything

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

My GPS has been hit or miss but for the most part it locks on immediately. The times where it doesn't is when it requires a restart but generally a restart fixes the issue. One thing I did, and someone in this thread I'm sure already mentioned this, is turn off "use sensor aiding" and since I've done that I've gotten an immediate lock every single time I've used it thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Unibrow View Post
    My GPS has been hit or miss but for the most part it locks on immediately. The times where it doesn't is when it requires a restart but generally a restart fixes the issue. One thing I did, and someone in this thread I'm sure already mentioned this, is turn off "use sensor aiding" and since I've done that I've gotten an immediate lock every single time I've used it thus far.
    Okay, thanks, I'll give that "use sensor aiding" thing a try. Anybody know exactly what that does? What are we losing by turning it off?

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

I messed around with mine today and yesterday while going places and was able to get a GPS lock immediately. The only strange thing that happened was while using Google Nav it thought I was on the service road instead of the Expressway which runs adjacent to it. TeleNav was able to get a proper lock, however. I'll continue to test this over the next few days while I go out and about and see if I have a problem and will report back regardless.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Before the update I was getting great GPS signal, now if I'm using Gmaps it wont connect, and Telenav either wont lock on quick, or I have to drive a good distance before it goes from "Too weak" to a connection.

I used my GPS and it locked on without a hitch today. Usually i have issues. Maybe the update might have helped.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Mine's the opposite. Worked perfectly before EK02, so much so that I was in the process of forgiving Samsung for months of frustration with GPS on my Epic 4G. After EK02, however, and it takes forever to lock when it actually will lock, and then this morning it wouldn't lock at all. Rebooting didin't help. Only thing that did was to load up GPS Status and refresh the GPS cache.

Why Samsung can't make a reliable GPS is beyond me. Truly it is.
    Have the exact same problem. Got it to work great before the update (as long as I wasn't indoors). After the update, the phone sees the satellites (up to 10 of them, using GPS test), but it won't lock onto them. I think part of the problem may be that it's not using wireless networks correctly to get an initial position as my phone often has me not close to where I am but where I was like 20 minutes prior if i moved.

Extremely frustrating

LISTEN people...there's no two or more ways to SLICE it...SAMSUNG hardware is KNOWN for having GPS locking ISSUES...the Epic 4G Touch INCLUDED

Weatherbug Elite fixes my ET gps ,I have gps forecast update interval set at 4 hour.
    Its refreshing agps clearing cache so when I start telanav , Gmaps etc solid 7-9 sat lock occurs within seconds
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II

After the update, my GPS works great so long as I turn on "Use sensor aiding" under "Location and security" in "Settings."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Shine View Post
    After the update, my GPS works great so long as I turn on "Use sensor aiding" under "Location and security" in "Settings."
    yeah disabling sensor helps lots but doesn't fix pathetic gps drivers Samsung has on board.
    Your GPS may seem great but if cache isn't cleared your more then likely not getting 7-9 satellite loc a majority of the time
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II

ROM
    AC!

Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    yeah disabling sensor helps lots but doesn't fix pathetic gps drivers Samsung has on board.
    Your GPS may seem great but if cache isn't cleared your more then likely not getting 7-9 satellite loc a majority of the time
    Disabled or Enabled?

Only thing i use the GPS Location down to its street Level option but it is sad, that you can't use the phone when there isn't any Data available due to having to clear it's cache to be used. :/, which defeats clearing it,being that it has to be downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, thanks, I'll give that "use sensor aiding" thing a try. Anybody know exactly what that does? What are we losing by turning it off?
    It uses the non-gps sensors to figure out where you are. For example, if you enter a tunnel and GPS is lost, it will try to use the compass and gyroscope to figure out where you are by taking the last GPS location and extraopolating using sensor data. If you have an accurate GPS signal, I don't believe it does anything.

Angry Re: Epic 4G can't get a GPS lock

WHAT...THE...HELL!!! The GPS locking on this thing sucks...I keep getting a looping and circling "Waiting for location" message while in the notification bar just see that crosshair symbol looking icon for GPS with a constant blinking dot...but NO LOCK on gps. What gives?? This is so frustrating...is it related to the recent update??

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

I do think it is an issue with the E4GT in general. I sent my original one back - thinking it was faulty due to lack of GPS lock. However my replacement phone behaves pretty much the same way. I am on EL13 but not sure I see an improvement.

I will run GPS Fix from time to time...

However - after reading these forums - what seems to help the best is a reboot from time to time...

Also - have noticed it does better if I use my wifi to help.

Hopefully some firmware update will help correct this at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    I do think it is an issue with the E4GT in general. I sent my original one back - thinking it was faulty due to lack of GPS lock. However my replacement phone behaves pretty much the same way. I am on EL13 but not sure I see an improvement.

However - after reading these forums - what seems to help the best is a reboot from time to time...

I have a topic on here...I was in Europe for 12 days and couldn't get a GPS lock once. Without Wifi or carrier service, you are really screwed.

Lightbulb Re: Epic 4G can't get a GPS lock

Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post

I think its safe to say that the GPS locking issue is for real across the board with the majority of these units. For those that say they havent experienced such issues with their device; I'm envious. Another thing ive noticed is that if an 'update PRL' is done...it greatly helps in getting a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljc70 View Post
    I have a topic on here...I was in Europe for 12 days and couldn't get a GPS lock once. Without Wifi or carrier service, you are really screwed.
    I remember reading you saying that; that sucks. Without GPS working; seeing as how so many of us are dependent on it...it can be an unnerving thing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast