Galaxy Nexus (later) OR Galaxy SII (now)?

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
So I want a Galaxy Nexus but as you all know Sprint doesn't have it yet and the way things are going they may never have it. I have an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket and with Christmas coming this would be the perfect time to for me to say I want to spend $300 on a new phone.

I do like the feel and look of the of the GSII but I don't really care for TouchWiz all that much. I also like the idea of getting updates right from Google. I do root and put CM7 on my phone and I know that the GNex will have a lot of development to support it.

My Evo 4G is still rockin' with CM7 running but I really love the thin light feel of the new Samsung phones.

As you can read I am torn quite a bit and I need some advice from my friends here at Android Central. What do you guys think?

downtown jewelry bryan

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
same boat you're in except I'm with tmobile. called the loyalty department and they offered me a pretty good deal on either the amaze or s2 ...$200 down which I'll get back after rebate and $65/mo. i have till tomorrow to decide. I'm leaning towards Verizon.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
No Verizon in this area and the rest of the family is on Sprint with me so I can't even move. I hate to sit with an upgrade for months and months but I don't want to buy a phone that is already months old. Oh yeah, did I say how much I dislike TouchWiz. Give me pure Google or CM7 or CM9 when that comes out over Touch my Wiz any day.

Kind of stuck though and I am hoping others will give advice or thoughts on this tough spot.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
EVO 3D with viper rom

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Yeah, my wife has the Evo 3D and I drool over the battery life the thing has, I HATE Sense even more than TouchWiz though. I am also kind of over the black slab hard corners of HTC. I am digging the rounded corners of Samsung better and holy crap are the Samsung phones light as air compared to HTC slab phones.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
No Verizon in this area and the rest of the family is on Sprint with me so I can't even move. I hate to sit with an upgrade for months and months but I don't want to buy a phone that is already months old. Oh yeah, did I say how much I dislike TouchWiz. Give me pure Google or CM7 or CM9 when that comes out over Touch my Wiz any day.

Kind of stuck though and I am hoping others will give advice or thoughts on this tough spot.

you can use an alternative launcher to hide touchwiz. personally, i don't' mind touchwiz, it's a bit refreshing to use after sense. also, you have to take into consideration that there's a possibility that CM7/CM9 might not come to the epic touch if it has similar 911 issues like it does on the vibrant & epic 4g.

either way, if you can wait for the nexus, then do it. the evo4g is still a great performing phone and you are not missing much from not having the epic touch (except the awesome battery life & buttery smooth performance).

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought Evo 3Ds for my wife, my mom and dad, and I on release day and loved them over my Evo 4g. Few weeks ago a friend lost job and needed to bail on her GS2ET4G so I bought it. Well, I have been using it now for about 4 weeks and love everything about it so i sold my 3D last week. I bought this Galaxy cheap so i could try a Sammy phone before i bought the Nexus from Sprint when it comes. But now, I have decided i love this phone and no need to spend the big money on a Nexus. This phone will keep me happy until a quad core monster comes next year. I alwaus like Sense, bit I think this Touchwiz is better, although, I could do without any of it. I have ADW so if i get bored i willchange out to it.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Why would you get the Galaxy Nexus in this case?

E4GT has almost identical hardware, and has a better graphics chip than the Nexus (Mali vs. SGX). Both processors can be overclocked to the same speed, identical RAM, identical camera software (you can take panoramic shots with the E4GT, most people don't know that. A lot of the GN's 'camera features' are actually just features of TouchWiz they imported over), same screen size when not watching a video. The only thing the Nexus ACTUALLY has over the E4GT is the fact that it gets updates faster and has a 720p screen. However on the E4GT you have a MicroSD slot, which you don't have in the GN.

The E4GT is the newest Galaxy phone. It will more than likely be the first Sprint phone to get ICS. If you are running CM9 anyway, then it doesn't matter if you have the GN or E4GT because they will both function identically.

In my opinion, the hype of the Galaxy Nexus has gone down a ton over the past few days. As it should.

Verizon messed up and pushed the date back and pushed the date back. If the Galaxy Nexus had come out in September like originally planned, it would have beat out the RAZR and the Bionic in hardware and would have been the flagship phone it should have.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If you download go launcher you can make it look like ics. Also go dialer and go SMS with ics skins. I also downloaded widget locker and had a pretty in depth ice cream sandwich theme with a themed dialer, contacts, lock screen, launcher, and icons.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Fyahstarter

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd highly suggest that u go Epic over Nexus. Let's remember that the Exynos is still a better processor than the TI in the Nexus. You are also getting a thinner phone with a better camera and what has been reported...better battery life. Since ICS has been guaranteed for the GS2, you can't lose.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
EVO 3D with viper rom

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

You kidding. They still make that POS? The best I did with my EVO 3D was to sell it and buy a E4GT. It run circles around that phone. Anyone who claims not, never owned them both.

Just for the screen alone it was like going from B&W to Color. I prefer color TV's, not sure about you.

Battery life is by far better on the E4GT. Responsive and smoothness is also far better on the E4GT. I finally have a phone I do not need to root and over clock and hack with a million things to try and get it to run smooth and have decent battery life. The E4GT just does all that right out of the box and you can actually enjoy the phone and worry more about themes and things of that nature more then actually getting the device to run like it should.

The one thing I learned from owning the E4GT is that Samsung sure knows how to make a phone for performance and also they Super Amoled Screen is hands down the best viewing experience I have ever seen on a mobile device. It makes HTC's Super LCD look like it is 3 generations old.

terreos

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Screw the Nexus, if you are going to wait, you might as well wait for quad core phones. The Nexus is far from next Gen technology, we already had better tech out before it was even released.

I'd be wary of the quad-cores first few phones. Yes it would be awesome for gaming and web browsing but, how is it going to be on battery at first? Most phones get you through a day and yet there are new ones that are only a month old that don't even do that. Just my $0.02

dude9000

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd get the GS2 unless its set in stone they will be getting the nexus.The GS2 will have a ton of support since its on almost every network all over the world. I love the Samsung build quality. For how big this phone is, I can't even tell its in my pocket.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk