How to get this phone to play through AUX on my Car Radio

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The device is a multi-media hub given both devices are COMPATIBLE.
IN your case your car stereo is not compatible. It was designed to work via USB with Apple products. had you had the BT option it would be working just fine.. more then likely that is.

Thru my WiFi i can go home and play music / videos / pictures via the media share app on my PS3.
I can stream music thru bluetooth, when i am in my truck i have a stereo with a 3.5mm stereo jack to plug into.
Hell its even got MHL support.

Apple products are designed to play music thru the cable because they dont use a standard micro usb pin out. They have thier own 30 or 32 or what ever number pins thier wide adapters have. This allows them to be hooked up to docking stations and charge, play, and manipulate controls via that data port. Audio is not designed on our devices to be played directly thru the micro usb port.

I would have to respectfully disagree.

My stereo is compatible with many other Android devices, including others made by Samsung. It is simply THIS phone that is not compatible. It is not the stereo lacking the capabilities, as evidenced by other Android devices playing just fine through the cable.

And Samsung should be smart enough to tailor their devices towards the market and make it compatible as such. They should not expect every other manufacturer to change their products to suit the Epic Touch 4G. Companies do this for Apple products because they dominate the market. If Samsung, or any other manufacturer, wants to compete with Apple then your products better be capable of operating in that universe and being user friendly. This is the perfect example of how Samsung has failed. Don't get me wrong...I love this phone. The stereo issue is really my only complaint. But it is a big one in my book.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Found an article on the galaxy nexus that helps explain things.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus won't play in-car USB audio | CNET UK

Thank you for that article. Very interesting and informative read.

However, the question now posed is: According to that article the Galaxy Nexus WOULD be able to play through USB using the UMS method IF it had a separate SD Card.

So why is it that I do have a separate SD card with music on it and the UMS method still doesn't work? I have a feeling this question is beyond the scope of these forums and might be better directed to Samsung...but just my thoughts after reading that article.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for that article. Very interesting and informative read.

However, the question now posed is: According to that article the Galaxy Nexus WOULD be able to play through USB using the UMS method IF it had a separate SD Card. .

Yeah, very interesting indeed ... learn something new every day.

If I read the article correctly, just having a separate SD card doesn't necessarily mean that it implements UMS ... just that it would be possible. The Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) is apparently "better" in many ways, but unfortunately requires that the connecting device support it. Which, it seems, most car players do not ... just tried it in my USB equipped car stereo, and no joy :(.

FWIW, I just use a copy of all my MP3s on a 16gb thumb drive in my car ... the drives are pretty cheap these days. I do have Bluetooth A2DP also which works pretty well for my E4GT.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, very interesting indeed ... learn something new every day.

If I read the article correctly, just having a separate SD card doesn't necessarily mean that it implements UMS ... just that it would be possible. The Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) is apparently "better" in many ways, but unfortunately requires that the connecting device support it. Which, it seems, most car players do not ... just tried it in my USB equipped car stereo, and no joy :(.

FWIW, I just use a copy of all my MP3s on a 16gb thumb drive in my car ... the drives are pretty cheap these days. I do have Bluetooth A2DP also which works pretty well for my E4GT.

I've thought about doing that. I also have an ipod I could use as well. It just becomes a hassle to update multiple devices instead of just one. I purchase all my music on this phone only so transferring becomes a pain.

I know someone with a Lexus and Mazda that have this same phone. Both have bluetooth capability which makes me so envious because he can play Google Music...so in essence he also has access to all his songs on his home computer while in his car...without actually having to transfer anything.

Jexeighteen

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok..tried searching, found nothing.

I own a 2010 GMC Terrain that has a USB input for audio devices. It works fine with an iPod, iPhone, Evo 4G, Evo 3D, Nexus S.....but I've had my SGS2 for a couple of months and still won't work.

When I plug it in, it says the device is not supported. I don't understand why it wouldn't work when everything else worked fine. Pretty annoying because I like playing the music on my phone rather than the radio. Was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and figured out a solution.

Jexeighteen

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
What is the size of the memory on your SGS2? if it's more than 32GB & see if the system used to format the memory is NTFS. If that's the case then that's the problem.
I experience the same problem when I tried playing music from my 500GB external hard drive. But I discovered the solution and now my external hard drive is now working with the USB on my car stereo. U need to format the memory using FAT32 system which car stereo will recorgnize it. you car stereo can not detect drives that are formatted with NTFS.

akershaw3

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
hi, i dont know if you have solved this problem but i had a samsung galaxy s 2 and i connected mine fine through the usb connection, settings, usb utilities, connect device (or something similar) it should then tell you to connect the cable, it wont work if you connect the cable first, i have just upgraded to the galaxy note 2 and that wont work so im a bit miffed as i have the usb port in my car and hifi at home so i think im going to try and exchange it, hope ive helped x

mootcat

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
It looks like you have root the phone and then get the mass storage app that others are talking about in this string.I just tried the app and it will not work with the phone not rooted. Rooting looks fairly complicate and may or may not F up the phone. So I am not sure if I want to attempt it. I am currently using a Blue tooth device that I got at the Verizon store which cost around $70 This plugs into the aux jack and works fairly well but you don't have the benefit of the radio display or controls :-(.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38