Question About Overclock App

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I just rooted and was looking around at different apps in the market that I can use now. I downloaded this app called no frills cpu. It says the maximum overclock is 1.2 which is stock. Under the governor settings there is a option for conservative, performance, ect... What exactly would those options change? I didn't think it did anything but when I switched it to conservative it made my phone slow down quite a bit.

If the max and min were still set to 1.2ghz and 200mhz then what exactly is the conservative setting doing?

Would I gain any benefit from using the "performance" setting?

Thank you

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
They all have the same "governor" settings. I'd still like to know how these work. Even with the stock CPU settings, the "conservative" and "performance" setting s yield vastly different benchmark scores when applied. Can someone elighten me?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
They all have the same "governor" settings. I'd still like to know how these work. Even with the stock CPU settings, the "conservative" and "performance" setting s yield vastly different benchmark scores when applied. Can someone elighten me?

I remember seeing a more detailed explanation on XDA, but if I remember correctly they basically determine how it will scale between different frequencies and they will effect your performance and battery life some.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but take a look at this: http://www.acsyndicate.net/which-cpu-governor-should-you-go-with/

I believe on our phone the lazy governor is like the power savings one but I'm not sure. I'm currently using it and it's been working great. I'm also underclocked to 800 and undervolted -100 and am using blazer 4.1 with the gunslinger 1.4.1 kernel.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Did u install a custom ROM or Kernal that allows for Overclocking? There are Kernals that will let ou go up to 1.7 if you wanted to. Though it may not be safe.

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
No I wanna stay stock rooted so I get pushed the ICS update. I froze all the sprint bloat and started using ad free and some other stuff. Hopefully none of that will affect me getting the update.

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
No I wanna stay stock rooted so I get pushed the ICS update. I froze all the sprint bloat and started using ad free and some other stuff. Hopefully none of that will affect me getting the update.

If you're just wanting the OTA update, you'll be able to get it earlier by doing it manually and then you'll also be able to stay rooted instead of losing it with the OTA.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There's an app called Tegrek in the Play store that I think will Overclock a stock Kernal. Otherwise, you can use any other app to underclock amd conserve battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38