Phone screen cracked internally

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I have some pretty basic questions on my now defunct E4GT. I dropped my phone on a cement porch on Friday evening and the screen cracked internally. There are not any visible scratches on the screen itself, but when powered on the screen is just black. There is some light at the top near the status bar, but overall, it doesn't work.

Here is the awesome part. Like an idiot, I didn't have insurance on my phone. So, they wouldn't accept my phone to replace it since it wasn't insured. Fair enough.

So i looked into replacing the screen myself and it looks like it can be done for $80 but looks mildly difficult. I've never taken apart a phone, aside from popping the battery in or out. Before I go spend $80 on a new screen and digitizer (i think thats what it is called) how difficult is this process?

Do you guys have any other tips, ideas, workarounds to replace my phone? I've talked with Sprint and the Asurion (insurance provider) and they basically said "You're screwed." I bought a used EVO 4G on ebay for $100 which comes with an otterbox, charger and SD card. It is in fair condition and wanted to use that to hold me over until I can fix my GSII.

Edit: fixed last sentence

Last edited:

lololovestech

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I don't have any experience replacing a cracked screen on an S2, but I did replace a broken screen on my Droid Incredible when I was with Veri$on. I ordered a kit from amazon - one that came with tools (this part is important) - and the tape that seals the screen to the phone (also crucial). I'm assuming they work about the same way... But forgive me if I'm wrong.

I found plenty of videos on YouTube that detailed exactly how to do it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums