1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Galaxy won't Turn off?

My phone won't turn off when I press the power button. I can remove the battery and it will power down, but as soon as I put the battery back in, it turns on by itself. It rarely locks, and in order to get it to lock, I need to press the lock/power button about 8 times. The screen randomly goes black and then turns back on but isn't locked, even after it should have been locked. Half the time my home/back/search/menu buttons don't work either.
    I've tried removing the battery...what else can I do?

Global Posts
    2,717 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: My Galaxy won't Turn off?

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Eastham View Post
    My phone won't turn off when I press the power button. I can remove the battery and it will power down, but as soon as I put the battery back in, it turns on by itself. It rarely locks, and in order to get it to lock, I need to press the lock/power button about 8 times. The screen randomly goes black and then turns back on but isn't locked, even after it should have been locked. Half the time my home/back/search/menu buttons don't work either.
    I've tried removing the battery...what else can I do?
    Can you check to see what apps are running in the background? It might be something that is keeping it up.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Can you check to see what apps are running in the background? It might be something that is keeping it up.
    I don't have any active applications right now, the only background apps I have running are ones that say if I stop them from running, some features of my phone may stop working until I turn it off and then turn it on again.
    I could clear my RAM, would that work?

Global Posts
    2,717 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

I don't have any active applications right now, the only background apps I have running are ones that say if I stop them from running, some features of my phone may stop working until I turn it off and then turn it on again.
    I could clear my RAM, would that work?
    You could do that, but it might not make a difference. It could just be a faulty power button. How frequently does it do this?
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

You could do that, but it might not make a difference. It could just be a faulty power button. How frequently does it do this?
    It does it every now and again. I've had the phone for nearly two years now, but it usually only lasts a few minutes. So far it's lasted all of today.

Global Posts
    2,717 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

It does it every now and again. I've had the phone for nearly two years now, but it usually only lasts a few minutes. So far it's lasted all of today.
    Hmmm, it's weird it turns on automatically even when you put the battery back in. You can leave this as a last resort, but maybe a factory reset could fix it? If that doesn't work, then something is faulty it seems.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hmmm, it's weird it turns on automatically even when you put the battery back in. You can leave this as a last resort, but maybe a factory reset could fix it? If that doesn't work, then something is faulty it seems.
    Thanks! I think I'll bring it in to a store tomorrow, see if they can do anything about it. It's getting kind of annoying.

Global Posts
    2,717 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Thanks! I think I'll bring it in to a store tomorrow, see if they can do anything about it. It's getting kind of annoying.
    Alright then, good luck, and nice horse!

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

It may be the power button is stuck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here