[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

liv2surf

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this mean that the method and files at the top of this 23 pg thread work with all Sprint GS3 independent of OS version.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am going to attempt to root my phone. Very new to this.

Instructions say:

Preparing your Phone

Download the following file and place it on the root of either the internal or external SdCard. I prefer the external as that is where cwm defaults to.

Team Epic Root From Recovery

Question. Should this file be sent to SD card as a zip file? Or unzipped?

Thanks.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I am going to attempt to root my phone. Very new to this.

Instructions say:

Preparing your Phone

Download the following file and place it on the root of either the internal or external SdCard. I prefer the external as that is where cwm defaults to.

Team Epic Root From Recovery

Question. Should this file be sent to SD card as a zip file? Or unzipped?

Thanks.

It should remain zipped.

kingnothing

May 17, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is, "WOW!" Thanks for the absolutely superb write-up and easy links to make rooting a simple task. I have been wanting to do this for a while but was entirely too scared to try it. Thanks so much.

Ooooh! Lookie there! "Superuser" in my app drawer!

unamailer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After reading this thread multiple times, and debating it for several weeks, I finally decided to try it. Followed the instructions and everything worked like a champ! Thanks for the well-laid-out instructions...VERY well done!!

scottyshao

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
i got signature verification fail when i tried to download the zip file from sd card....anyone knows what to do next or have had this problem when rooting a tmobile s3?

mrconfer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried rooting with the directions/files from xda and I still dont have root. I did odin and have cwm recovery on it, I have superuser in my apps list but root checker still says no root. what can I do? maybe install the tem epic zip from the files in this forum? Its a brand new sprint s3 with jellybean L710.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried rooting with the directions/files from xda and I still dont have root. I did odin and have cwm recovery on it, I have superuser in my apps list but root checker still says no root. what can I do? maybe install the tem epic zip from the files in this forum? Its a brand new sprint s3 with jellybean L710.

I would certainly give that a try. If you still have cwm, I would put team epic root from recovery on the sdcard and flash it in recovery.

JFortBro

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Trying to do this from my Macbook, I know you don't know of anyone who has successfully done so yet. I've downloaded Heimdall and the other files as per your tutorial, only question I have is about the drivers that I need to first install. As they are an .exe, is there any way I could get a .dmg version of them as I'm assuming they will still be needed to make this work. Sorry if this is a dumb question first time rooting anything...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Trying to do this from my Macbook, I know you don't know of anyone who has successfully done so yet. I've downloaded Heimdall and the other files as per your tutorial, only question I have is about the drivers that I need to first install. As they are an .exe, is there any way I could get a .dmg version of them as I'm assuming they will still be needed to make this work. Sorry if this is a dumb question first time rooting anything...

According to samsung tech support they don't have drivers for the MAC... Below is my conversation with online support....

Margaret: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Yes, I am looking for drivers for the SPH-L710RWBSPR. I am looking for MAC drivers. all I see are windows drivers.
Margaret: I understand that you are looking for MAC drivers.
Margaret: I will provide you with the information.
Visitor: thanks
Margaret: You are welcome.
Margaret: For MAC PC, Google? offers a free Android? File Transfer application. Please install the Android transfer on the MAC.
Visitor: I am rooting my device I need drivers.
Margaret: Samsung doesn't recommend to root the device. However, to connect the phone to the MAC , you have to install Android transfer on the MAC PC>
Visitor: thanks
Margaret: Android.com

From what I gather, you may need to borrow a friends computer.

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Total novice here with first smart phone (two weeks).
Followed Skunkape's directions and am now rooted. No problems.
THANK YOU Skunkape, you are an asset to mankind, and good looking too.

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
im trying to root my sgs3 but i cant cant get a sucess in odin bottom says fail as well as top this isnt my first time rooting, i do have the current jb update. it sems to take forever on get PIT for mapping. then it fails

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
im trying to root my sgs3 but i cant cant get a sucess in odin bottom says fail as well as top this isnt my first time rooting, i do have the current jb update. it sems to take forever on get PIT for mapping. then it fails

Are you putting something in the pit block? It should be empty...

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No just checked pda and put the file in it.before I tried to root I did do a facory reset thru stock recovery (my phone was doing weird stuff ) I also noticed I have the triangle in the android but no flash count. I don't know out any of that makes a difference

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
No just checked pda and put the file in it.before I tried to root I did do a facory reset thru stock recovery (my phone was doing weird stuff ) I also noticed I have the triangle in the android but no flash count. I don't know out any of that makes a difference

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Are you getting com and any number in the id com block ? If not remove the drivers and reinstall them. I would try that anyway since you are having trouble. Also you want to make sure kies is not installed. Kies causes problems with Odin.