Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skunkape60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Default GS3 Sucessful root, freeze at startup, did factory reset-is this ok?

Sprint Galaxy S3 used Qbking77's latest root method. Went through without a hitch but as some others have reported, the phone locked up everytime, multiple times, just after booting up into Jelly Bean.

Rather than try to unroot, I just did a factory reset. This was faster given that I needed my phone functioning again and was short on time to download the 200MB? files needed.

The phone did freeze up one last time after this, prior to installing any apps, I rebooted, it seemed stable, I was able to navigate and launch apps, so I went ahead and re-installed all my apps manually. it still seemed stable and since then-about 2 days ago, everything seems fine no crashes or freezes at all even after my apps (about 57) installed. It seems that last freeze was just a fluke freeze.

The phone still has root access as verified by the app root checker, and several apps that require root access Titanium Backup, Adfree Android, Wifi Tether all seem to work just fine.

So my bottom line question-Should this be ok, just doing a factory reset after rooting or should I have unrooted before doing the factory reset? Should I expect some data corruption down the road? Like I said it seems perfectly fine.

Thanks
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: GS3 Sucessful root, freeze at startup, did factory reset-is this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by daveross View Post
    Sprint Galaxy S3 used Qbking77's latest root method. Went through without a hitch but as some others have reported, the phone locked up everytime, multiple times, just after booting up into Jelly Bean.

Rather than try to unroot, I just did a factory reset. This was faster given that I needed my phone functioning again and was short on time to download the 200MB? files needed.

The phone did freeze up one last time after this, prior to installing any apps, I rebooted, it seemed stable, I was able to navigate and launch apps, so I went ahead and re-installed all my apps manually. it still seemed stable and since then-about 2 days ago, everything seems fine no crashes or freezes at all even after my apps (about 57) installed. It seems that last freeze was just a fluke freeze.

The phone still has root access as verified by the app root checker, and several apps that require root access Titanium Backup, Adfree Android, Wifi Tether all seem to work just fine.

So my bottom line question-Should this be ok, just doing a factory reset after rooting or should I have unrooted before doing the factory reset? Should I expect some data corruption down the road? Like I said it seems perfectly fine.

Thanks
    This is fine. There's no problem doing a factory reset. It shouldn't effect your root at all.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
    daveross likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: GS3 Sucessful root, freeze at startup, did factory reset-is this ok?

Edit : Nvm he beat me lol
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by tlrsax54 View Post
    Edit : Nvm he beat me lol
    There is no problem doing a factory reset on a rooted phone with custom recovery. I haven't a clue where you got that from. You do a factor reset every time you wipe data factory reset before flashing a Rom.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    This is fine. There's no problem doing a factory reset. It shouldn't effect your root at all.
    Cool-so there shouldn't be any corruption of the (stock) rom? I chalked up the original constant freeze to an app that the root didn't like or something that, but that one time after the factory reset still bothered me.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by daveross View Post
    Cool-so there shouldn't be any corruption of the (stock) rom? I chalked up the original constant freeze to an app that the root didn't like or something that, but that one time after the factory reset still bothered me.
    All the factory reset does is remove your apps and settings. It does nothing to the Rom. It just removes what you put on it.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    stock for now

He might of had an optimus s before the sgs3. If you did a factory reset from the phone and not recovery you'd ebd up with a paperweight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Ya, with the OptiS, factory resets were a BIG no-no. To this day, I still freeze up when I run my finger over that button.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0

ROM
    stock for now

So is it ok to do a factory reset if you have a custom recovery from the phone or do you have to do it from the recovery

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Either is fine. Won't hurt a thing

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mcasas View Post
    So is it ok to do a factory reset if you have a custom recovery from the phone or do you have to do it from the recovery

It's already been answered...

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    There is no problem doing a factory reset on a rooted phone with custom recovery. I haven't a clue where you got that from. You do a factor reset every time you wipe data factory reset before flashing a Rom.
    On my old phone, if you did a factory reset within the actual phone settings with a custom recovery (NOT recovery) it would brick your phone :O but I edited my post because I'm not sure that's what he meant or if it's ok on the GS3. I was stupid to post what I said, my bad

ROM
    stock for now

If you did a factory reset on my old optimus s from within the phone and not recovery you would get a brick. But as reluctant as I was I trusted skunape and reset from within the phone and no problems. Im glad I dont have to worry if I do a reset within the phone

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

New one on me.

ROM
    stock for now

That was if u had a custom recovery

Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mcasas View Post
    That was if u had a custom recovery

Good thing it doesn't happen on this phone or I would have already had a brick on my hands.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I would have had three so I am with you...

ROM
    stock for now

I was scared when I pressed reset from whitin the phone. Im so glad I dont have to worry about it. I would have never done it that way if skunkape didn't tell me it was ok. I would have always booted into recovery to reset my phone

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Either works. For me it just depends on why I am doing it. Most of the time it is to flash something so I do it in recovery

Thanked by: