Why all the whistling?

khigh65

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there a list somewhere of what all whistles? Because I clearly don't know what all whistles.

I've turned off notifications on all my email accounts. I don't really get texts, and I don't use the regular Sprint voice mail.

My phone goes on a mad whistlefest - 20, 30 whistles in 10-20 minutes. I get to where I can check it, pull down notifications, and it's the same two ongoing apps, the same two texts, and the same 12 voice mails from before I switched. MAYBE an app update, but not usually.

What is my phone trying to tell me and/or how do I stop it without missing actual/notifications?

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Do you have social apps in your phone? I know the FB and the FB messenger app set off the whistle notification.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3.

khigh65

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I slide them away - all except voicemails and text, which of course won't go away.

I THINK it feels the need to renotify me about everything every time I change networks. I sleep with it, and it doesn't wake me up at night or do it much in the house, but shortly after I leave home, it starts in, and since I live in Atlanta, of course it changes networks about every three feet.

Basically I'm trying to find a setting of "if you have something to tell me, tell me, and then quit telling me"

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Turn off system sounds.

LOL! I Have!

System sounds I can live without but I like being able to hear the tones of the numbers as I'm dialing.IDK, just call me old school but it's something I've heard most of my life....and I'm 40.

Last edited:

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I slide them away - all except voicemails and text, which of course won't go away.

I THINK it feels the need to renotify me about everything every time I change networks. I sleep with it, and it doesn't wake me up at night or do it much in the house, but shortly after I leave home, it starts in, and since I live in Atlanta, of course it changes networks about every three feet.

Basically I'm trying to find a setting of "if you have something to tell me, tell me, and then quit telling me"

I'm able to clear txt and voicemail notifications. Slide and clear button both work. I don't know why they won't clear for you but that would explain the problem you're having.
CORRECTION: whoops, I was mistaken and cannot clear those. I guess I've always viewed/listened right away which makes the notifications clear.

Last edited:

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine was whistling all day for weeks even with my Yahoo! Mail app set to no notifications.
So i still could not find what was causing it. I chased it down that everytime it whistled I did in fact have new emails in my Yahoo!.

The other night my wife found in Yahoo! Mail you need to go into notification sound under settings, and select "No Sound". As long as there is a sound selected, even if you have it on No Notifications, you will still get a whistle to each email that comes in.

Check that and see if that is what is happening.

khigh65

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't change mail sounds unless I set them to notify - so I did and they were all set to silent, then I set unnotify.

I guess I just have to live with it or get off TW.

New thing of the moment: a rash of "poom ping!". Sometimes once a second, for about 20 minutes. Like the whistling, I just wish I knew what it was doing or what it wanted.

There goes a blast of quicker than one per second - probably 100 in 30 seconds.

For a communications device, it's not too communicative sometimes.

khigh65

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I figured out what the poom ping was, with no help from the phone.

It means "please don't use the Micro USB cable from your HP Touchpad to charge me from the wall. Even though I've charged nicely to 100%, I'm very unhappy about it".

Curiously, in a house full and two vehicles worth of dangling cables, that particular combination had never come up before.

In case it comes up for anyone else.

wegrzcm

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you...Thank you....THANK YOU!! That whistling noise was making me crazy. Every time I heard it during the night I would wake up and check my phone - but no notifications. Your tip was exactly my problem. No more Yahoo whistle for me! :D

selectiveeye

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I was having the annoying whistle come on instead of my preferred sound, whenever I received Gmail message. I figured out that it was a “default sound” setting. Even though my selected “default sound” was selected, somehow it was ACTUALLY defaulting to the Samsung whistle. SO just go in and change the default sound to the actual sound instead.
What I did…
Go into mail setting through google app/inbox sound and vibrate/
select the sound tab un select the default and reselect the sound you want to use.
This is the key. For some reason, when the “default sound” is selected it will whistle. Even if the default sound referenced is NOT the one you are hearing.