S-Voice used to recognize names, now it doesn't. Anyone else?

ce2dope

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I got my Sprint Galaxy S3 on August 2, and at that point, it recognized my voice and was able to find contacts without a hitch. I had to do a hard reset two days ago and Sprint sent some updates, and now it doesn't recognize anything.

And, I am not talking about functionality, as it's always worked pretty well in that regard. But, it doesn't understand me at all, and did before right out of the box.

Did S Voice completely change its algorithm? Fees like it can't understand me at all anymore, and worked perfectly before. I figured an update wouldn't make it worse, but it has. Is there a way for it to be connected to your contacts better?

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
this might have something to do with the universal search function being disabled on the phone (i.e. searches your contacts and on-phone stuff). It would be interesting to see if you install the old google search apk, whether s-voice then works again.

google quick search box thread here

let us know if that works

ce2dope

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure I am just dumb, but do I need to root the s3 to install apks? I already have it set to allow me to install from unknown sources. Or can I just add the googlesearchapk to the phone storage via my laptop

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to just download the App then navigate to where you put it using the built-in 'my files' app. Once you've found it, click on it and it should install I believe. It won't persist after a reboot unless you do some things with cwm recovery (rooted) but you should be able to at least see if that was your issue. To check if it installed properly try to do a quick search on your phone using the Google quick search bar and see it searches your contacts

Reactions: ce2dope

ce2dope

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Definitely glad I got the universal search back, but it didn't help with the voice recognition. Oh well.

Interesting side note, for s and giggles I emailed the apk to myself from my PC, and in the Gmail app, it let me download it as an app directly into my phone with no other steps needed.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

ce2dope

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Question for you, hiero. Which root procedure/app is most consistent and stable? Not looking for easiest, just the best. Not a noob at jailbreak/rooting, either, so don't worry about complicated, either.

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Definitely glad I got the universal search back, but it didn't help with the voice recognition. Oh well.

Interesting side note, for s and giggles I emailed the apk to myself from my PC, and in the Gmail app, it let me download it as an app directly into my phone with no other steps needed.

Darn, that sucks. Seemed perfectly reasonable too.

As far as root, I've been using the Team Epic root from recovery since the beginning and I've had absolutely no issues with it at all. I use that and their remove root from recovery procedure as well and it's been great. I can't tell you if it's more stable than the other methods, but I can say it's been 100% stable in my experience so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress