Music Player Issue w/Artist Name

laxpinkie

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm a huge fan of my Samsung Galaxy S3 and I'm usually pretty good at figuring out solutions to my problems, but I'm stuck and hoping for some guidance from my fellow smartphone users.

I have many different mp3s on the SD card in my phone. Today I downloaded a few new songs using GTunes. I usually plug in my phone and tag my files using MediaMonkey so that I can get the album art and all the right info on there.

Today, I did the same thing I have done in the past but I have an issue. If I downloaded a song with from a new artist, the artist's name shows up in lowercase when using the native Music Player. However, if I had the artist in my phone already from a previous file, then it was fine with the artist name capitalized.

I double checked my tags to make sure the error was not there. If I open the file with Google Play Music, it shows the artist's name capitalized.

I am self-admittedly anal when it comes to my mp3s. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get my artist names capitalized in the Music Player? It's my go-to for playing music but this is driving me crazy! I'm not sure if it's just the phone that wants to default to a lowercase or if it's something weird saved from when I downloaded or what. I've pulled the SD card, cleared out the data from the Music Player, restarted the phone...I'm out of ideas.

HELP??? :)

laxpinkie

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ugh I lie. Google Play Music also sees the file with the artists' names lowercase. Can anyone brainstorm for me what it could be? I still don't think it's the tags. Not only did I use Media Monkey but I've retagged using apps in the App Store too...the tags show the artists are capitalized...what could it be?

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
artist, album artist, extended tag. just some options on where to look for differences. its a pita for sure. hope this helps

Rwagner34

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is anal
about this. I've noticed the problem is only when you download from gtunes. I'm having the same problem.

laxpinkie

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I will be trying out a few more tagging apps again this morning but am glad to know I'm not the only person having this problem or this anal!

Could there be a reason that files from GTunes would not allow tagging to be altered? I have been able to change file names and add album art, but no matter what I do, I can't get the artists' names capitalized on the phone.

laxpinkie

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I tried different tagging apps but no success.

I did put the SD card from my S3 into my old Evo and lo and behold, the songs there showed up with the artist capitalized. So I do not thing my tag is the issue.

I cleared the cache for like EVERY app I could on the S3 but I still am having the same issue with songs showing up with the artist in lowercase, despite my tag being correct.

I think GTunes must have something on the phone that prevents the file from responding to the tag. I deleted GTunes but still nothing fixes it.

I'm hoping that someone smarter than me has a suggestion of what to do or where to look to resolve this.

Thanks!

Owen Simpson

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I've been having the same problem for a long time now. I have gone into the music and application files of the phone on my computer, and tried 3 different tagging applications, but nothing seems to work. The tags were correct (my problems were with Tim McGraw and Luke Bryan - each read all lowercase, annoying because i love their music but OCD disagrees with how they looked in the player) but the default music player didn't recognize the correct tags because GTunes did something awful to them in which i couldn't figure out. I finally figured out an alternative, not exactly a fix. First off, i would stay away from GTunes - I use an application called Music Paradise and it works wonderfully and it doesn't visually glitch and screw with your music player -_-. Now for the music you already have that is screwed up, there's an alternative music player in the Google Play Store called 'Rocket Music Player' and i cannot say enough good things about it. I'm not going to go on a marketing ploy for the app, but it recognizes the correct music tags (Luke Bryan and Tim McGraw are listed right!), its great quality (it has built in tuning presets for all genres of music), it has a tag editor and cover art finder built it, its user interface is beautiful, and its easy to use. This solution does not fix the original problem but it gives you the same product (I actually like it better) so you don't have to use the default music player and look and the tags that make you oh so frustrated. This application remedied my issue times ten, and if messed up music tags (that cannot be fixed -_-) are your issue, get the app. Cheers. :cool:

-Owen
-Galaxy S3

Jusjas12

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
So I have never posted on one of these forums before, I always just used them for help! But I had to give a huge thanks and support to Owen's post! He was so on point with Rocket Music Player. AWESOME! As soon as I downloaded it, it found all my songs from all the different apps and stored it into one app; yet still separating them by the playlists that I had set up and all that.

And like all of you, I am also anal with the tags and Rocket Music Player makes it so incredibly easy to edit!

Jazz
Samsung Galaxy Note 2

KatyRed

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for suggesting Rocket Music Player. I was having a problem with all .mp3 files I copied from my computer to the Music folder showing as "Unknown Artist." I would name the folder, album, etc. and it was still only showing the songs under "Songs." The Rocket Music Player allowed me to edit the crucial "Artist" field to allow the various lists to see the files.

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Player Pro and all my cover art and artist art has had to be re-downloaded at least once a day, no bueno.

I will give Rocket Player a try. I have used simple mp3 download pro as a way to get music but what does everyone else use?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I have been using Player Pro and all my cover art and artist art has had to be re-downloaded at least once a day, no bueno.

I will give Rocket Player a try. I have used simple mp3 download pro as a way to get music but what does everyone else use?

Thanks

NeonZX

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I use 'Pimp My Muisc'. Its free off google play and works for me on my s3 :)

Sent from my rooted debloated GT-I9305 running stock 4.3 using Tapatalk

MetallicaGirl

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
So I love my s3 but just the other day instead of the artists name saying Metallica it changed to M E T A L L I C A and i don't know how to fix it.....i tried the itag thing and it just kept it the same. Ive restarted my phone multiple times and dont know what to do because its just for the artist metallica everything else is fine.....help please?

D2051

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
This sounds similar to my problem. I have an issue with artist names that start with "The". I don't want the Beatles and the B-52s listed under T. Half of my music would end up alphabetized under T which is useless, but no matter how I edit the tags on the phone in the Music player the "The" always reappears, even when I edit the tag on the phone in the app under the track details. It's crazy. I'll try the Rocket Music Player, but there should be some way to fix this and clearing the caches did not help.

ashleyowens003

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I am having a problem with my music player the one that's on the phone when you buy it but when I got to play the song it plays good but it has a dinging sound the whole time the song plays how do I fix it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa