Where is the USB box?

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
When I used to connect my phone to the computer I would get a little pop-up screen on the PC with about 5 options to select from: sync my phone, see the folders and files, etc. I have not seen that little box in about 4 days. Luckily, when I bring up Windows Explorer (file manager), the PC does recognize the phone in the USB port and I can proceed as normal. I really have no need to sync my phone anyways but I am curious what happened. I have removed the battery more than once, using the same USB cable I have used for 3 months, and reinstalled the drivers just in case. Rooted with the LIH Jellybean leak. Any ideas where the USB box has gone?

Last edited:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Well idk how rooted phones work... but when I connect my phone to my computer (Windows), I have to select on my phone how I want it to be connected to the computer. It appears in my notifications to select. Maybe try that?

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
The notification says "Connected as a media device". It is interesting that both the phone and PC recognize the connection but the little USB box on the PC with all the options is missing. Thanks for the input Joe.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yep, the phone is recognized and I can see all folders and files. Just wondering why the pop-up screen with all the options doesn't come up anymore.

You may have checked the block not to show again... i will see if i can't figure a way to get it to come up. Mine is doing the same thing

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same thing... If I plug my phone in, unplug and plug it in again the window with choices comes up.
Hope this helps.
J

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh cr**. Now, I can't get the box. In fact My phone won't connect to my pc in media mode... My pc thinks it's a lan connection with an unplugged cable. Nothing in the notification bar at all. Noticed the Usb debug box won't stay checked.Tried Odin to see if it will recognize and it does. Tried un and re the driver but no go... ARRGH. Haven't made any major changes. Installed Nova Prime, Cerberus and an app for my bank. Was working after that though... May be a long night...
J

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Getting the little box is not important. As long as you can find it going to my computer. Not getting the box has more to do with the computer than the phone.

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
if you are using windows PC, the little box is part of the autoplay option when connecting a media device.

Try this on your computer if you are using Windows 7.
Click on start menu, choose Control Panel
Click on the Programs, then under Default programs, choose "Change Default Settings for Media or Devices"
Find the specific item and select "Ask me every time" as the action to take.

hope this solves it, but as mentioned by skunk before me, the box poping up is not necessary if you can find the drive in the My Computer icon.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
if you are using windows PC, the little box is part of the autoplay option when connecting a media device.

Click on the Programs, then under Default programs, choose "Change Default Settings for Media or Devices"

hope this solves it, but as mentioned by skunk before me, the box poping up is not necessary if you can find the drive in the My Computer icon.

Thanks I was looking for this answer in the wrong place (my computer properties). I knew it was somewhere. You're correct in that it hasn't bothered me any. I was searching for the others.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Let me preface this post by agreeing with you and Skunk that the point here is really moot and this is more out of curiosity. In fact the pop-up was kind of a pain to go through each time.

That being said, I do use Windows 7 and I went to Control Panel and chose Programs (Programs and Features) and did not see the option you were referring to. All I saw were uninstall, change and repair options and there was no specific choice for me. I did find an option in control panel called Auto Play which allows you to change the default setting for devices or media. However I could not find my particular device there. (Not even a generic USB connection, but it did show my daughter's ipod :)) I even unchecked the main box at the top that says to use autoplay for all media and devices. Still no pop-up. Did I miss something? Thanks.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm not concerned with the box but PC (XP) and phone will not recognize each other. I uninstalled my anti theft app (Cerberus) but that didn't help. Thinking about a restore from recovery. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Restored from CWM recovery and all is well again. I believe it was Cerberus anti theft app that caused the problem. Apparently it blocks access to the phone - PC connection as an added security measure.
Thanks for you're willingness to help. I like many others appreciate it greatly.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Let me preface this post by agreeing with you and Skunk that the point here is really moot and this is more out of curiosity. In fact the pop-up was kind of a pain to go through each time.

That being said, I do use Windows 7 and I went to Control Panel and chose Programs (Programs and Features) and did not see the option you were referring to. All I saw were uninstall, change and repair options and there was no specific choice for me. I did find an option in control panel called Auto Play which allows you to change the default setting for devices or media. However I could not find my particular device there. (Not even a generic USB connection, but it did show my daughter's ipod :)) I even unchecked the main box at the top that says to use autoplay for all media and devices. Still no pop-up. Did I miss something? Thanks.

Yes it's in the auto play area. My phone shows up there when it's connected but the option of always ask was already selected for my phone. But it still doesn't have the pop up. Again, I'm not concerned as my phone is showing in my computer as it's supposed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non