Great Non-Rooted Back Up App

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably one of the few unrooted users of the device that stalks these forums quite a bit and I wanted to tip my cap to an app I've been using that is really worth the money/effort. I was looking for a non-root solution to use when it came to backing up app data. I spend hours playing these games and beating these levels, etc and every time I bought a new device or performed a hard reset, i'd have to beat all the Angry Birds levels with 3 stars, again. I know there are plenty of root based solutions (MyBackup Pro, Titanium Backup) that work wonders. My problem with those is that when I bought a new device (always day one since I'm an inpatient a-hole) root wouldn't be available to me. I'd download my apps, play away and forget to save the data over.

Well, now that the intro is out of the way, Carbon BackUp is an AWESOME utility to be able to do exactly that. I can save APK and APK+Data. It can also save a collection of other data points that might be valuable to the user. While it does require plugging into a computer, it doesn't require root. I was able to backup all my games, perform a hard reset, and bring everything back to where it was. I found the app and the desktop companion VERY easy to use and it saved everything I was looking for. The devs have done a solid job continuing to update the app.

Well that's all, back to waiting for MD4 to drop :)

Daanyyaal

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably one of the few unrooted users of the device that stalks these forums quite a bit and I wanted to tip my cap to an app I've been using that is really worth the money/effort. I was looking for a non-root solution to use when it came to backing up app data. I spend hours playing these games and beating these levels, etc and every time I bought a new device or performed a hard reset, i'd have to beat all the Angry Birds levels with 3 stars, again. I know there are plenty of root based solutions (MyBackup Pro, Titanium Backup) that work wonders. My problem with those is that when I bought a new device (always day one since I'm an inpatient a-hole) root wouldn't be available to me. I'd download my apps, play away and forget to save the data over.

Well, now that the intro is out of the way, Carbon BackUp is an AWESOME utility to be able to do exactly that. I can save APK and APK+Data. It can also save a collection of other data points that might be valuable to the user. While it does require plugging into a computer, it doesn't require root. I was able to backup all my games, perform a hard reset, and bring everything back to where it was. I found the app and the desktop companion VERY easy to use and it saved everything I was looking for. The devs have done a solid job continuing to update the app.

Well that's all, back to waiting for MD4 to drop :)

Indeed! I was struggling to find an application that would back up the app data, until I came across Carbon Backup. Which by far, in my honest opinion, is the best non-root back up application.

Recently, I rooted my phone and when watching the rooting tutorial, the guy said don't worry about losing your data, adb-backup will be able to backup your data. Just in case I thought I'd back up all my applications using Carbon before unlocking and rooting. After unlocking and rooting, I began to restore my data from the adbbackup file, however my phone froze half way and was trying to restore a particular application for about 5 minutes then just stopped restoring and went to the homescreen.
Then I thought to myself, I did a backup in Carbon! Restored the missing apps and I voila! :D

For any non-rooted user, definitely get Carbon backup.. You're missing out! The free version will do the job, no doubt.

By the way, what stops you from rooting your phone?

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
By the way, what stops you from rooting your phone?

At this point I'm not even sure anymore. I rooted and rommed up my Galaxy S2 so its not being unfamiliar with the process. The tutorials and one click solutions out there make it easy so that certainly isn't it. I guess at the end of the day I'm comfortable with everything my phone does, nothing I'm really missing so I haven't seen a need to do it. I believe there is probably something there that I would like, just haven't seen it yet.