Screen won't turn off ever, even in safe mode, lock screen won't work either

ziilch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Ok let me give some details first:

I have a samsung galaxy s3, rooted with odin 3.07 on android 4.4.2, L710VPUDND8

Everything was fine until I started trying to get rid of the standard boot animations, I was tired of seeing the sprint boot and shutdown animations, and replace them by using a tutorial on how to convert a bootanimation.zip into a qmg file, I tried a couple of times each time the phone wouldn't recognize the qmg files and the boot animation was blank. But I deleted the old boot animations without doing a back up, I restarted one time to check if the custom animation worked but never did, and suddenly I couldn't turn off the screen, the power button would work, but only if I pressed it down hard, if I clicked it, it would not turn off or go to the lock screen or do anything like it once did. I turned off all my apps like some forums suggested, went to safe mode and problem still persisted, tried turning on and off all the different lock screen and automated time out options in the settings and developer settings with stay awake and stay on with the eyes and deleting my battery saving app to see if there was a conflict as many forums suggested, nothing worked, I wiped my data and went back to factory settings multiple times and wiped the system cache, when I tried re doing odin again it failed, and then I downloaded a recovery .tar that got it back and up and working, but the same problem still persisted, the screen won't turn off and the power button won't do anything when clicked.
I used the camera function to test if clicking the power button indeed works and it does for that app, so the button itself is not busted. I downloaded an app that forced the screen to lock and turn off and the phone would turn itself back on and only stay black for a second.

After resetting and downloading the old recovery firmware my phone still says its 4.4.2 and still has supersu and but when I try to do what I did originally to get it rooted again it fails every time, so I revert back to the recovery firmware I downloaded but techincally I'm still rooted I guess. The phone is useless if you can't turn off the screen, its a huge battery drain.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How about just reloading the stock firmware using Odin and starting from scratch?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Ranveer Rathore

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Did you manage to fix the phone? I've deleted the same files and got the same problem, the screen won't turn off by pressing the power button. Just wondering how this can be fixed

SlimDroid

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue.
I just wanted the T-Mobile startup and shut down screen and music gone.
Luckily I just renamed the old files instead of deleting them, after I named the files back to original state, my button worked again.

Guess I'll deal with the T-Mobile garbage for a little longer until I figure out a proper way to make this work.

I have a GalaxyS4
rooted and unlocked.
SD card writable

Vinamre Sood

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello Guys

Need your help!!

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with Cyanogenmod 11 few months back..it was working perfectly fine till today, while i was using my phone camera and my phone freezed suddenly. Nothing was working..then i restarted my phone by long pressing the power button , but the phone is not starting up...first the samsung logo appears on the screen ..then it goes to boot animation of Cyanogen and gets stuck at it. nothing happens after that....I have tried to remove the battery and place it back and then starting the phone...issue still persists .. i have tried to bo the phone in recovery or download mode by using volume key, home and power button ..but nothing happens... i am not able to go to any mode and still stuck at the boot animation screen.

Please please please help me

Vinamre Sood

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello Guys

Need your help!!

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with Cyanogenmod 11 few months back..it was working perfectly fine till today, while i was using my phone camera and my phone freezed suddenly. Nothing was working..then i restarted my phone by long pressing the power button , but the phone is not starting up...first the samsung logo appears on the screen ..then it goes to boot animation of Cyanogen and gets stuck at it. nothing happens after that....I have tried to remove the battery and place it back and then starting the phone...issue still persists .. i have tried to bo the phone in recovery or download mode by using volume key, home and power button ..but nothing happens... i am not able to go to any mode and still stuck at the boot animation screen.

Please please please help me