New Owner - A Few Questions

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. I'm coming from a Moto X to the G2.

I picked up my phone on Wednesday evening and here are the pros/cons I've noticed so far:

Pros:
1. Beautiful screen
2. Nice size phone - a bit too big for my hand by manageable
3. Fast enough UI - comparable to the Moto X
4. Great battery life - comparable to the Moto X
5. Really good phone call reception - no problems with people hearing me - my biggest problem with the Moto X
6. The camera takes very good photos (comparable to the Moto X). It does wash out the photos a bit and it's definitely not "true color" but the photos look really crisp in broad daylight. I haven't tried taking photos in low light

Cons:
1. Minimal-to-nonexistent data reception (I get 4G on my other phones, I barely get 3G on this but mostly "cannot connect to data"); I've never been able to connect to 4G/LTE and
2. Wifi is slow to connect (compared to my other phones); it cannot connect to my 5Ghz N wireless router. I've changed the router to 2.5Ghz/G to make it connect, but it's still VERY slow (router is the top of the line Motorola)
3. Slow to connect to car blue tooth
4. Streaming HD videos on wifi make the picture pixelate/break up/be blurry quite a bit. Definitely not high def
5. The phone is set to FULL vibrate and when it's in my trouser pockets or on my desk, I miss calls - a lot - because there's no vibration
6. Sprint Zone app says I have a lot of dropped calls and need to call Sprint customer care (I did; they're useless)
7. I have hard reset the phone to fix all of the above, no luck
8. Too much bloatware
9. The knock-knock feature requires 4-5 knocks to respond and it only is responsive 90% of the time
10. I'm still getting used to the volume/power button in the back (this would be a minor/non-issue if the above didn't exist)

I know my Cons list is longer, but I actually do like the phone. The screen is amazing - I've even read a lot of text on it and it doesn't strain my eyes like most phones. Call quality has been exceptional. But no data?

Also, I found out too late that tri-band phoneson Sprint are not capable of talk/surf, which completely handicaps me. I take business calls on the run often and I'm talking and looking at some document on my phone at the same time. Not having this option or having to ask people to "hang up so I can look at the document in my email" is embarrassing. I've spoken to Sprint about it and was told they're aware of this being an issue but it might take "some time-to a long time" for them to address it. I nearly switched to AT&T just for this issue alone, but I know for a fact that AT&T gets no reception in my office (per other employees), so that wouldn't work anyhow.

I'm sad about this. The phone is really beautiful and could be something special. But with the list above, it just falls into the mediocre category.

I even tried fixes I found online to change my LTE channels to 41 or 26 (or both) - and my phone connected to LTE for 10 seconds before flipping right back to 3G. Sprint says I have a lemon and to replace the phone, but I've read others have had similar issues even with replacements?

If anyone has come up with fixes for these or has resolved similar issues - or just has some helpful input, please share!

bigtank

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd replace it and see from there. Im coming from a single band Evo LTE and notice a big difference when it comes to LTE

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
LTE on this phone has been fine when the towers are working but Sprint has been making so many changes it can be tough to tell. If you suspect it's the phone exchange it.

Bluetooth only connects instantly if the phone is on first BEFORE the bluetooth device otherwise takes about a minute or so to connect.

HD video can take about 10 seconds to buffer but then playback has worked great.

Sometimes the phone goes into a deep sleep and requires a few taps to wake up. I've found the area directly above the LG logo at the bottom of the screen to be a good knock on location.

Posted via Android Central App

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I was driving to Best Buy to get a replacement last night when 4G/LTE came on. No rhyme or reason. I drove around a bit, still on where I wasn't getting any data before. So I drove home. It held the 4G for a bit longer, than it disappeared for good. :( I connect to Wi-Fi at home and the speed on every other device and phone is over 20Mb down, on the LG barely 3. I've read online that others have the Wi-Fi problem. Called Best Buy and they recommend the S4 on experience, but said I could try another G2 to be sure. Thing is, we can blame Sprint for 4G but not the Wi-Fi. The audio quality on this phone is amazing, as is the battery life but without data, it's not going to be a smart phone. Should I still switch it out to another G2?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I was driving to Best Buy to get a replacement last night when 4G/LTE came on. No rhyme or reason. I drove around a bit, still on where I wasn't getting any data before. So I drove home. It held the 4G for a bit longer, than it disappeared for good. :( I connect to Wi-Fi at home and the speed on every other device and phone is over 20Mb down, on the LG barely 3. I've read online that others have the Wi-Fi problem. Called Best Buy and they recommend the S4 on experience, but said I could try another G2 to be sure. Thing is, we can blame Sprint for 4G but not the Wi-Fi. The audio quality on this phone is amazing, as is the battery life but without data, it's not going to be a smart phone. Should I still switch it out to another G2?

I'd switch it out personally but I really love this phone. The 5Ghz not connecting on your Wi-Fi tells us something is up. Give it one more shot and see if it works for you.

I'll tell you this, if you get a Galaxy S4 don't upgrade it to 4.3 with all the bugs reported in the forums and which I'm dealing with right now on my wife's phone.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd switch it out personally but I really love this phone. The 5Ghz not connecting on your Wi-Fi tells us something is up. Give it one more shot and see if it works for you.

I'll tell you this if you get a Galaxy S4 don't upgrade it to 4.3, due to all the bugs.

Thanks, I'll probably try another G2 before I go to the S4. Also appreciate the tip regarding the update on the S4! Does it come on right at start when the phone is first initialized? I also know when my G2 first came on, it stated there is an update, which I accepted. Wonder if that made things worse? I still don't have the Spark update though.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll probably try another G2 before I go to the S4. Also appreciate the tip regarding the update on the S4! Does it come on right at start when the phone is first initialized? I also know when my G2 first came on, it stated there is an update, which I accepted. Wonder if that made things worse? I still don't have the Spark update though.

It may come from the store with 4.3 depending on when it was shipped. If it does show you the option when you boot for the first time you can always decline and wait until Kit Kat arrives.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It may come from the store with 4.3 depending on when it was shipped. If it does show you the option when you boot for the first time you can always decline and wait until Kit Kat arrives.

Just checked, still on the 4.2.2. Not sure what it updated but I believe it was native to LG. Something with LZ in front of it - which I didn't note well because the store was busy.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I was referencing the S4 update if you had to go that route.

The update you got from LG was a quick patch for voice quality issues that some people experienced.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I was referencing the S4 update if you had to go that route.

The update you got from LG was a quick patch for voice quality issues that some people experienced.

Ohh, alright. Voice quality works really well. I'm worried if I trade this one in, I'll get working data and bad voice instead. Just never know...

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm at Best Buy right now and we tried two brand new G2's. One was defective - kept restarting - and the other had really poor audio. I'm in disbelief. I really liked the call quality on my original LG but obviously its Wi-Fi issue alone was unacceptable. Now I'm getting the S4, but have a week to return it and go back to the G2 or nothing at all. I'll see by Monday if I can live with it or not.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Didn't even last the day with the S4. Indoor reception is the worst. Tried one more G2, it got hot really fast and wouldn't connect to data while still in store. Will try one more in a different store tomorrow but basically, think I'll end up with my Moto X. How can there be so many bad batches of G2s?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Can't believe it... I mean I do believe you, I'm just surprised. I bought my daughters G2 and haven't had a single issue with it.

Hope you have success finding a workable unit

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe it... I mean I do believe you, I'm just surprised. I bought my daughters G2 and haven't had a single issue with it.

Hope you have success finding a workable unit

The sales rep said the same thing happened with another customer in a nearby store and they went through 4 G2 phones before they found one that worked. Isn't LG losing money on all these defective units being returned? Whatever happened to quality control? Thanks. I'm giving it one more try and then I'm done.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Like you said though, try another store. Hopefully they'll be from a different batch and you'll be up and running

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Like you said though, try another store. Hopefully they'll be from a different batch and you'll be up and running

I did try two stores today and the result was the above. But yes, one more and hopefully it'll work. If the next G2 is another dud, I don't even know...

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps that region just got a bad batch. Otherwise its just really really hard to imagine that many having issues. All things considered this has been a really hassle free phone for my store and all the ones around me.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps that region just got a bad batch. Otherwise its just really really hard to imagine that many having issues. All things considered this has been a really hassle free phone for my store and all the ones around me.

So since this other phone is in the same region, should I even try one more of their stock?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So, I exchanged my G2 and it seemed fine, until an hour later when the battery started draining super fast for no reason and the back was unbearably hot! I called Sprint, they said to take it back to Best Buy. I just returned it. Not sure if all the Best Buys got a rotten batch or what, but this was craziness. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty