Boot to Recovery After Stuck in Boot Loop

LC2014

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
So here's the situation. I may have bricked my device, but any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I rooted my LG G2 (Sprint) successfully. I installed TWRP successfully. I booted to recovery, performed a backup and did a wipe successfully.

I downloaded the 2/1/2014 AOKP and the corresponding GAPPS. Copied the zips to my Downloads folder on the device, rebooted to recovery and flashed my device. That all went successful.

However on first boot I waited almost an hour, and the boot did not complete. I believe its stuck in a boot loop.

I tried doing the physical hold volume down + power, then release power on LG screen and push power again to get into recovery and it seems to ignore this attempt and just keeps trying to boot.

I don't seem to be able to even fully power off the device. When it does appear to power off while holding the power button it's like a restart.

Anyways I'm stuck, wondering if I bricked it if I can't get into recovery to do a factory reset. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So here's the situation. I may have bricked my device, but any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I rooted my LG G2 (Sprint) successfully. I installed TWRP successfully. I booted to recovery, performed a backup and did a wipe successfully.

I downloaded the 2/1/2014 AOKP and the corresponding GAPPS. Copied the zips to my Downloads folder on the device, rebooted to recovery and flashed my device. That all went successful.

However on first boot I waited almost an hour, and the boot did not complete. I believe its stuck in a boot loop.

I tried doing the physical hold volume down + power, then release power on LG screen and push power again to get into recovery and it seems to ignore this attempt and just keeps trying to boot.

I don't seem to be able to even fully power off the device. When it does appear to power off while holding the power button it's like a restart.

Anyways I'm stuck, wondering if I bricked it if I can't get into recovery to do a factory reset. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums.
Did you do a clean install of the ROM?

LC2014

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome!

Well... That's a good question. Did I do a clean install of the ROM. What does that mean exactly? It's been a few years since I rooted an Android and applied a custom ROM (we're talking back like version 2.6 era or therabouts), so I read up quite a bit, but its entirely possible I bombed it by missing something very important.

The most frustrating thing at this point is that I can't get to recovery or factory, which correct me if I'm wrong is done by the following steps:

1. Power off phone.
2. Power on the phone while holding power and volume down.
3. When LG screen appears release power and volume down and repress.

I'm thinking I bricked it, which is frustrating to say the least, but I'm trying to be realistic. If I did, I'd like to figure out what I did wrong technically.

LC2014

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
There may still be hope. I can get into download mode by holding volume up and plugging in the usb cable. Problem now appears to be drivers. Windows (Win 7 64Bit) fails to install the CDC Serial driver. It does install the USB Composite Device as well as LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port (COM4).

I'm thinking if I can get Windows to recognize the device drivers (or install the correct ones) I may be home free and be able to access the phone with ADB to hack around and recover, although it may still be a challenge to figure out exactly what to do.

I've had a heck of a time with the drives. Prior to getting ADB to recognize the device previously it would not work with:

LGUnitedMobileDriver_S50MAN310AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.10.1.exe

Windows did recognize it as LG Portable Device after installing:

LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN38AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.8.1.exe

The 3.8.1 driver appeared to work and be recognized. I had access to the device in debug mode via ADB after doing that. I was able to use ADB to copy loki_flash and the TWRP recovery.

This is the first time I've booted to download mode though, and windows doesn't recognized the G2 or needs additional drivers. Anyone have any ideas? I'll keep playing with the drivers and see if I can get to the point of access to the phone with ADB.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Try downloading updated drivers for LG.

Clean install means cache wipe and factory reset before flashing the new ROM.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe I did, but it is possible I got distracted during the process.

At any rate this guy knows his stuff.

Used this process and got back up and running on stock:

How to Unbrick or Restore the LG G2 ATT Version - YouTube

I'm good. Now I know how to recover and have the tools to do it, I'll be even more bold messing around with ROM's.

Thanks for the replies.

Glad you are back up and running.
See you around the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

backslap

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
hi, I have the exact same problem as OP. Only actually it's a tad worse as I cannot, for the life of me, get the CDC Serial drivers to install.

I have uninstalled all my (old) phone drivers etc, and ran registry cleaner. I have then installed 3.8.1 driver via LG Mobile Support tool.

If I could get either the MTP driver or the CDC driver to work I could access the phone.

I've found this website where you can download the CDC driver ( CDC Serial Drivers Download for Windows 7, 8, XP, Vista ), but I don't know where to put them.

For now it looks like this:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

Anyone have an idea how to get CDC working?

Tayloj92

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue I had a friend have to get it out he said he had to read like six different different pages because everyone had one thing right but like three things wrong took us 10 he's to find what we needed after that took 5 min good luck though

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Saneliso Rala

May 4, 2015
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

mathew ben

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have compatible Arduino Uno from shop 595 Lajpat Rai market if ny1 has brought . problem is, it is not detected by Arduino and the driver name shows usb serial converter I have tried no of usb serial drivers bt none works. help?
I have tried the drivers from driver basket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress