Sprint LG G2: Root After KitKat Update

gobyray

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been searching the forums for a definitive answer and have yet to find one. Has anyone rooted after taking the update and which direction did you go (OneClick, ADB, Sideload, etc...). On JellyBean I used OneClick without any problems. Also, what custom recovery(s) are supported.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Root After KitKat Update

I've been searching the forums for a definitive answer and have yet to find one. Has anyone rooted after taking the update and which direction did you go (OneClick, ADB, Sideload, etc...). On JellyBean I used OneClick without any problems. Also, what custom recovery(s) are supported.
Thank you!
Yes, it looks like you can root 4.4.2 on the Sprint LG G2 using this method: [ROOT] IO Root - xda-developers

Take a look through that thread for more information.

gobyray

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

No problem - let us know if there are further questions we can help with :).
I can't seem to find a working custom recovery since the OTA Update...I tried the TWRP Manager but it says not supported. Any recommendations? (Thanks again for IORoot...it took about 45 seconds to Root):)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I can't seem to find a working custom recovery since the OTA Update...I tried the TWRP Manager but it says not supported. Any recommendations? (Thanks again for IORoot...it took about 45 seconds to Root):)
Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations since I don't have the device and looking through the forums (XDA) it appears that there some recoveries won't work with certain OTAs. All I can suggest is look through the XDA development forum and see if there is anything which will work for your device and OTA - let us know how things go.

rcdietz1

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

If your reason for wanting to install a custom recovery is to flash custom rom, you could probably go back to 4.2 and use either TWRP or CWM, then flash whatever rom you want. If custom roms are desired, udgrading to kitkat first is of no advantage, you're just replacing it anyway. If your reason is not to flash, what are trying to accomplish, once you're rooted maybe there is a different way?

swazey

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

NEVER use a 1-click method. And NEVER take a an OTA update being rooted. You will brick your device.

CWM orTWRP should work

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

Autorec over on XDA. Works perfect.

Jeremiah Neff

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site

tattomcat

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Big mistake. I was rooting the phone when I had a connection issue. Due to this, my phone is locked up in the process. Is there any way to fix this?