I'm done. Too many issues, even after the March update.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm done with the Pixel 6 Pro. I've had it since October, was hopeful that the March update with the multitude of fixes would improve the phone, so I took the simcard out of the S22U and put it in the Pixel 6 Pro. I was on the 12 Beta, so I had to factory reset and rolled back to the March update. Thought I'd use it for a week or two and decide if the update fixed enough and I liked the phone enough to keep it over the S22U, but just after two days I've had so many issues, I'm just going to sell it off (at a considerable loss I'm sure) and move on.

1. Twice today I had an issue where I've received a call, I couldn't hear anything, but the person on the other end could hear me. I've had to hang up twice and ended up calling them for the call to go through.

2. For whatever reason this bug still occurrs where I'm on the Youtube app, I'm *not* watching a video, I swipe up to go home and the picture in picture pops up with the youtube app in the little window, my homescreen goes black and non-interactive, yet I can actually interact with youtube picture in picture window and move it around to see videos listed etc. This happens a handful of times a week and it's just frustrating:

Screenshot_20220323-082914 (1).jpg

3. Multiple times a week my Youtube Music widget will go blank like this:

Screenshot_20220323-205057.jpg

I tap on the app and I get this:

Screenshot_20220323-205103.jpg

I have to restart the phone to get Youtube Music working again. Turning on off wifi/cellular network doesn't fix it.

4. Google backup/restore failed to actually recover my messages on Google Messages:

Screenshot_20220323-211859.jpg

5. Bluetooth connected to my car (2016 Mazda 3) just constantly cuts out on calls. Has been doing this ever since I got the phone and the March update didn't do anything to fix it. Or if I get a call and use the controls on my steering wheel to answer, it'll answer the call 5+ seconds I pressed the answer button. I have to either use it through speaker by reaching over to the phone to answer a call, which is dangerous and illegal, or just ignore the call totally. No previous phone I have had issues with my car's bluetooth and unsurprisingly, my Galaxy S22 Ultra works with my car's bluetooth without issues as well.

6. The phone still heats up crazy hot randomly while doing something simple (like browsing Chrome, Youtube etc) and I believe due to the heat, I get pretty poor battery life.

7. March update didn't improve the performance/hit rate of the fingerprint scanner. Slowest fingerprint scanner in a flagship phone by far.

Then there are just weird design decisions:

8. Still not a fan of the notification tiles, still don't like I have to take multiple steps to turn wifi on and off rather than just one press.

9. For whatever reason, if you have your phone set to adaptive charging, but you set your Pixel Stand 2 to max charging, it'll ignore the max charging setting and apply adaptive charging. So if you want adaptive charging through cable, but max through wireless - too bad, the setting on the phone will override whatever you want on the wireless charger. And there's no notification/popup telling you that your phone's charging is set to adaptive, so if you want max wireless charging, you'll have to turn off adaptive charging. After the factory reset, I couldn't figure out why my phone wasn't max charging on the wireless charger, then plugged it on through cable and it clicked to me, it defaulted to adaptive charging after a reset, but there's nothing to make that clear to me when I went to select max wireless charging.

10. Google seems to think that 'hide sensitive content' in your lockscreen notifications excludes your email address, so when I get an email through Gmail, my email address is displayed on the lockscreen. Guess my email address isn't sensitive content that I wouldn't want people easily see.....

I'm over it. This has been the worst, most buggiest phone I've ever used. Five (!!!) months after its release, it still has so many bugs and issues, I'm blown away that this is a product Google put their name to. Don't think I'll bother with the Pixel again, less I hear that the Pixel 7 has *significantly* less issues than the Pixel 6. I know people will pass this off like I just happened to get a lemon, or there will be the obligatory 'no issues with mine!' posts, like that is supposed to downplay the wide-spread problems with the phone. It doesn't.

Totally done with the phone. Worst phone purchase I've ever made.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm done with the Pixel 6 Pro. I've had it since October, was hopeful that the March update with the multitude of fixes would improve the phone, so I took the simcard out of the S22U and put it in the Pixel 6 Pro. I was on the 12 Beta, so I had to factory reset and rolled back to the March update. Thought I'd use it for a week or two and decide if the update fixed enough and I liked the phone enough to keep it over the S22U, but just after two days I've had so many issues, I'm just going to sell it off (at a considerable loss I'm sure) and move on.

1. Twice today I had an issue where I've received a call, I couldn't hear anything, but the person on the other end could hear me. I've had to hang up twice and ended up calling them for the call to go through.

2. For whatever reason this bug still occurrs where I'm on the Youtube app, I'm *not* watching a video, I swipe up to go home and the picture in picture pops up with the youtube app in the little window, my homescreen goes black and non-interactive, yet I can actually interact with youtube picture in picture window and move it around to see videos listed etc. This happens a handful of times a week and it's just frustrating:

View attachment 343335

3. Multiple times a week my Youtube Music widget will go blank like this:

View attachment 343332

I tap on the app and I get this:

View attachment 343333

I have to restart the phone to get Youtube Music working again. Turning on off wifi/cellular network doesn't fix it.

4. Google backup/restore failed to actually recover my messages on Google Messages:

View attachment 343334

5. Bluetooth connected to my car (2016 Mazda 3) just constantly cuts out on calls. Has been doing this ever since I got the phone and the March update didn't do anything to fix it. Or if I get a call and use the controls on my steering wheel to answer, it'll answer the call 5+ seconds I pressed the answer button. I have to either use it through speaker by reaching over to the phone to answer a call, which is dangerous and illegal, or just ignore the call totally. No previous phone I have had issues with my car's bluetooth and unsurprisingly, my Galaxy S22 Ultra works with my car's bluetooth without issues as well.

6. The phone still heats up crazy hot randomly while doing something simple (like browsing Chrome, Youtube etc) and I believe due to the heat, I get pretty poor battery life.

7. March update didn't improve the performance/hit rate of the fingerprint scanner. Slowest fingerprint scanner in a flagship phone by far.

Then there are just weird design decisions:

8. Still not a fan of the notification tiles, still don't like I have to take multiple steps to turn wifi on and off rather than just one press.

9. For whatever reason, if you have your phone set to adaptive charging, but you set your Pixel Stand 2 to max charging, it'll ignore the max charging setting and apply adaptive charging. So if you want adaptive charging through cable, but max through wireless - too bad, the setting on the phone will override whatever you want on the wireless charger. And there's no notification/popup telling you that your phone's charging is set to adaptive, so if you want max wireless charging, you'll have to turn off adaptive charging. After the factory reset, I couldn't figure out why my phone wasn't max charging on the wireless charger, then plugged it on through cable and it clicked to me, it defaulted to adaptive charging after a reset, but there's nothing to make that clear to me when I went to select max wireless charging.

10. Google seems to think that 'hide sensitive content' in your lockscreen notifications excludes your email address, so when I get an email through Gmail, my email address is displayed on the lockscreen. Guess my email address isn't sensitive content that I wouldn't want people easily see.....

I'm over it. This has been the worst, most buggiest phone I've ever used. Five (!!!) months after its release, it still has so many bugs and issues, I'm blown away that this is a product Google put their name to. Don't think I'll bother with the Pixel again, less I hear that the Pixel 7 has *significantly* less issues than the Pixel 6. I know people will pass this off like I just happened to get a lemon, or there will be the obligatory 'no issues with mine!' posts, like that is supposed to downplay the wide-spread problems with the phone. It doesn't.

Totally done with the phone. Worst phone purchase I've ever made.
Did you try to return or swap the device?

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
This is my 2nd Pixel 6 Pro, so yes.

Are you using Pixel Launcher or Nova?

I got the black screen issue using Nova launcher. I will need to try pixel launcher. I also have custom icons.

Never had this issue before when I was using the stock pixel launcher and stock icons.

Pixel 6
T-Mobile
March update

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you using Pixel Launcher or Nova?

I got the black screen issue using Nova launcher. I will need to try pixel launcher. I also have custom icons.

Never had this issue before when I was using the stock pixel launcher and stock icons.

Pixel 6
T-Mobile
March update

Pixel launcher.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm sorry to see you having so many issues with the phone. I guess it's just not meant for you... I'm sure you already did a full factory reset... And installed new without a backup...

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It's strange because the P6 was the best initially reviewed Pixel phone in recent memory. Then it all fell apart. I remember that a few people mentioned they were holding off because of the new Tensor chip. How right they were. The fact that Google, after 5 months, still can't fix the issues via updates is telling. There is something inherently wrong, probably with the hardware, that can't be fixed via software. Glad I skipped this release.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
It's strange because the P6 was the best initially reviewed Pixel phone in recent memory. Then it all fell apart. I remember that a few people mentioned they were holding off because of the new Tensor chip. How right they were. The fact that Google, after 5 months, still can't fix the issues via updates is telling. There is something inherently wrong, probably with the hardware, that can't be fixed via software. Glad I skipped this release.
There are those of us not having issues, late updates aside. I can only assume it's a quality control issue, but it's weird that the OP has had two devices with the same problems. You figure the odds of that were low but what do I know.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
There are those of us not having issues, late updates aside. I can only assume it's a quality control issue, but it's weird that the OP has had two devices with the same problems. You figure the odds of that were low but what do I know.
At the end of the day sometimes it's not meant to be for certain people even if they try with a phone... Cut your losses and move on. I always say...

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The postponed updates have to be frustrating. Would really like to know why. Just guessing that it could be related to the new chip. I'm no software engineer, but having to write code for different hardware platforms has to introduce complications.

Gurds

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
bbcb22615e148778a33c5bbc36a0122a.gif

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
At the end of the day sometimes it's not meant to be for certain people even if they try with a phone... Cut your losses and move on. I always say...
I guess I don't think a phone should be a matter of fate, or not meant to be. A company puts a product on the market so people can consume it for a price, right? If the OP is on number two with the same issues this is something Google needs to address. The odds of this happening shouldn't exist. IF it's quality control on Google's part. It's really the only thing I can think of. Unless they've received two beat up phones via shipping.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I guess I don't think a phone should be a matter of fate, or not meant to be. A company puts a product on the market so people can consume it for a price, right? If the OP is on number two with the same issues this is something Google needs to address. The odds of this happening shouldn't exist. IF it's quality control on Google's part. It's really the only thing I can think of. Unless they've received two beat up phones via shipping.
True ..but some of his issues seem to be with how Pixel decided to go with the phone ...I don't think my phone which is running flawlessly would make him happy IMO ...and I respect his frustration just don't think it's meant to be ...

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
For number 10 on the list, I don't like the email info displaying in the lock screen either, but is this behavior strictly with the pixel 6? Do Samsungs show that as well and is it just an Android thing? Luckily I don't have any other issues except the delayed updates, and am pleased C-band now works on Verizon.

Last edited:

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I find myself constantly disappointed by my P6P. I wish the Fold 4 would come out tomorrow. But I'm sticking with this phone till then, even though I could switch to my Note 20 and be happy. However, I don't like to criticize things unless I fully emersed myself in the experience. So far, this experience has been ****ty.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Most of Hero's issues seem to have to do with connectivity. Even his different app problems point to connectivity issues. I know that Hero lives in Australia. I wonder if he lives in a more remote area of Australia.

Do those of us who don't have Hero's issues simply live in areas of good to excellent connectivity? I know that I do, living near Atlanta, GA, USA.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I also have zero issues with connectivity, and I work out of my city, quite often into the mountains and I have the same connectivity I used to have with my Samsung. So I really don't know what's going on

Last edited:

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I live in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D. C. I have had zero issues with my P6P. Sometimes I only have a bar or two at home, but I've always stayed connected and not one single dropped call. My phone connects promptly to my 2016 Mazda 6 and stays connected. I guess I was a lucky one. No weird app issues either.

That said, if I did have all the issues of the OP, I would surely return or dispose of the phone.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I love my Pixel 6. But if I was as frustrated with my phone as the OP has been I would have sold it and moved on also. We gotta buy and use what makes us happy, whatever brand that might be