Skype.

tcaudill01

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Skype does not work. The reason, it thinks our phone is an Optimus Black and it is looking for some hardware hooks in the OS that our Marquee does not have.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I'm asking because apparently the black had some trouble with it as well- there was a special "skype edition" OB, but I'm not clear on whether that had a proprietary build of the OS or not. It seems that other OB users have posted in Skype forums that the app from the market does not work for them either.

Meanwhile, I was wondering if Gingerbread was the cause, since it works with video out of the box on other devices I have tried with it. Apparently GB is not the culprit. But I have reason to believe it has to do with GPU video overlays.

Try this version:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV] Skype Video for Froyo (and GB)

and be sure to click "use preview surface" in the custom settings menu.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Dishe, this xda version works perfectly!

Not a problem!
Glad it worked for you- I actually got a Marquee for myself after posting that, and have managed to confirm that "preview surface" enabled allows the camera to be visible to Skype.

I'm not clear on what that does, but I know that the stock Optimus Black (not the "skype edition") required something similar.

Just had a 15 min video call to family on the other coast using it. :)

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Recently got the phone and Skype with video works fine - both on WiFi and 3G . Using Skype from Market.

Really? Must have been an update because the one from a couple of months ago most certainly did NOT.
I kind of like the modified version, though- it offers some nifty features like the ability to actually EXIT the app (not sign out or send to background, but actually close and remove from memory), as well as some camera quality tweaks.

I'm wondering if the native app has better image quality, however, as the modified version needs to use some sort of overlay mode which I think causes some sort of brightness/gamma shift.

Princezz Dani

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I have a question ... erm... how do you use the file? I downloaded it, but my LG marquee can't open it and i dunno what to do with it from my laptop.... help meh plz.:confused:..!

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I have a question ... erm... how do you use the file? I downloaded it, but my LG marquee can't open it and i dunno what to do with it from my laptop.... help meh plz.:confused:..!

What file are you talking about?
The Skype .apk from the link I provided?