Default phone app won't unmute during call

kescot

Mar 26, 2023
Visit site
Andr 12, Galaxy A12/2yrs old, GSM/LTE

Actions: safe mode, other phone apps (virus/malware scans, installed google phone, whatsapp, talkatone, etc), swapped-out sim, google play protect, factory reset)

First time posting-I have an issue with voice calls in that my mic will not unmute. Hitting mute button only alternates green/white. Only apps tried so far with no issue are skype & voice recorder. Sim tested good in another sam phone.

Any untried possible fix ideas would be greatly appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can the other person hear you if you use speakerphone or wired/Bluetooth earphones? If so, then the primary mic is either blocked by something or faulty.

kescot

Mar 26, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can the other person hear you if you use speakerphone or wired/Bluetooth earphones? If so, then the primary mic is either blocked by something or faulty.
Thanks for the question. Tried with Bluetootooth and wired earphones but neither has a built-in mic so it didn't surprise me that they didn't work. Being away/abroad means I have limited kit to test with but if there's a definitive way to be sure of diagnosis with something else, I'll consider buying it.

Does the mic work with Samsung's dialer?
Does the mic work with Samsung's dialer?
The only compatible 'samsung dialer' I could find is the default 'samsung phone' which mic is currently not working. I had already tried the popular 'phone by Google' dialer with no success. If you are referring to another pls provide more detail or url. Thank you.

Last edited:

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
If it's the same on those two dialers, it's likely a hardware issue. Maybe go to the shop and get a cheap Bluetooth earpiece. Eventually you'll have to get it fixed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the question. Tried with Bluetootooth and wired earphones but neither has a built-in mic so it didn't surprise me that they didn't work. Being away/abroad means I have limited kit to test with but if there's a definitive way to be sure of diagnosis with something else, I'll consider buying it.

The only compatible 'samsung dialer' I could find is the default 'samsung phone' which mic is currently not working. I had already tried the popular 'phone by Google' dialer with no success. If you are referring to another pls provide more detail or url. Thank you.
What about using speakerphone? The speakerphone mic is usually different from the primary mic (i.e., it's usually the secondary mic at the top of the phone). So if they can hear you on speakerphone, that would narrow the problem down to the primary mic.

kescot

Mar 26, 2023
Visit site
Great suggestion, It works! I didn't know there was a separate mic for speaker phone which explains why skype still works. Using wired earphones (no mic), as soon as I selected speakerphone, the signal switched back to the phone's speaker. Rather than using the phone's speaker, which is not very private, is there a way to utilise the speakerphone's mic but channel the output signal into earphones?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great suggestion, It works! I didn't know there was a separate mic for speaker phone which explains why skype still works. Using wired earphones (no mic), as soon as I selected speakerphone, the signal switched back to the phone's speaker. Rather than using the phone's speaker, which is not very private, is there a way to utilise the speakerphone's mic but channel the output signal into earphones?
I'm not aware of a way to do that, but maybe @mustang7757 might know, since he's more of a Samsung buff than I am.

In the meantime, you can also try using the Diagnostics part of the Samsung Members app to confirm the faulty mic. If the phone is still under warranty, contact Samsung for repair or replacement.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not aware of a way to do that, but maybe @mustang7757 might know, since he's more of a Samsung buff than I am.

In the meantime, you can also try using the Diagnostics part of the Samsung Members app to confirm the faulty mic. If the phone is still under warranty, contact Samsung for repair or replacement.
I'm not aware sorry .

Reactions: B. Diddy

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
This is the same issues I have had with every Samsung I have owned. Galaxy 3 and S10+ where people can’t hear me in calls. It has stopped me from ever buying a Samsung again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjustink1984