software Update

prettylady34

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know but I went ahead and downloading it now, and waitig for it to install.. Maybe its a motorola update not a andriod update.. We need Jelly Bean 4.1

prettylady34

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with a Sprint Rep and the software update look like it was to fix the VSNCP Registration ERROR that every one is getting.. the rep said that the software update should have fix that error

lcchick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded this and installed. I had no phone nor texting capability for hours, but the internet worked fine. I had to call Sprint,the rep said that he had to make some change to my account and told me to reboot the phone. After that, it was fine. Annoying though!! Not sure if it makes a diffence but I bought my phone at Best Buy.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I've heard a few people having that issue, but glad there's a fix. The update seems decent to me, the 2 little issues I have found are: 1) the 3G icon does not return after a phone call until the data connection drops and reconnects. Data does work tho. 2) decresed battery life compared to the pre-update firmware.

Anyone else noticing this or anything else?

Sent from my XT897 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

zman0417

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I had no text or incoming phone capabilities either after the upgrade. However, after I did a reset (##72786# on the dialpad - MSL code is not needed for this), all is well. All the functionalities have been restored. I purchased my phone from Best Buy also. I have not noticed dropped battery performance, but then again I haven't been payingh attention to it either. Will post my observations here though.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I had no text or incoming phone capabilities either after the upgrade. However, after I did a reset (##72786# on the dialpad - MSL code is not needed for this), all is well. All the functionalities have been restored. I purchased my phone from Best Buy also. I have not noticed dropped battery performance, but then again I haven't been payingh attention to it either. Will post my observations here though.

Ah, that's cool. So using that dial code will reset your service without having to call Sprint? That's good to know, especially when messing around reflashing stuff, would be nice to be able to do it manually.

Battery life seems considerably worse to me.... Only 50 minutes of screen-on time, an 8 minute phone call, and I'm down to 42% battery. I do have 8% time without a signal, so that could be a drain.

zman0417

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah, that's cool. So using that dial code will reset your service without having to call Sprint? That's good to know, especially when messing around reflashing stuff, would be nice to be able to do it manually.

The dial code reset only works if you are on stock ROM. If you have made any changes to your phone (rooted, custom recoveries and/or roms) I would not advise to use ##72786#. It may screw things up really bad. Just a caution.

Battery life seems considerably worse to me.... Only 50 minutes of screen-on time, an 8 minute phone call, and I'm down to 42% battery. I do have 8% time without a signal, so that could be a drain.

After three days of being on the new update, I have not noticed any difference in my battery life. I actually really like battery life on this phone. I also heavily use SmartActions feature of this phone, including Battery Saver SmartAction. It's very customizable and I truly believe that by using it, I get extra juice out of my battery.

Last edited:

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
After three days of being on the new update, I have not noticed any difference in my battery life. I actually really like battery life on this phone. I also heavily use SmartActions feature of this phone, including Battery Saver SmartAction. It's very customizable and I truly believe that by using it, I get extra juice out of my battery.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah! I loved my battery saver SmartAction setting... on the prvious ROM version. But since the update, it seems the action to set processor speed to powersaver mode has dissapeared! Could you maybe tell me how you have it set up now so I could try it? Since the update I've been using SetCpu with a screen-off profile, but my battery life is still worse than before.

The other thing is that the LTE network in my area could be in a real state of flux, and I am just starting to get a touch of 4G in some parts of my house, so I am wondering if there might be a drain simply from my device going back and forth from 3G to 4G? And maybe there are other changes taking place here.

zman0417

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My Battery Saver is set to Motion Detector trigger, with Actions including Brightness (smart Brightness), and Background Data (Keep apps synced only when you're using the device). I also used to have Processor Speed action, but as you noticed, that has disappeared. Since I work in a office, my phone is sitting on the desk a lot, and therefore this motion detector trigger kicks in, and saves me a lot of battery durin gthe course of the day.

also, I've heard that 4G LTE is a battery drainer, so maybe that's why you're getting poor battery performance. I wonder if you can add Cellular Data set to Disable with my Battery Saver setting above so that if your phone is not moving, 4G/3G is cutoff. I don't have 4G in my area yet, so I can't test this theory out.:-\

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ah ok, thanks for sharing, I might try that. I tend to use screen-off as my trigger, because I tend to walk around with the device in my pocket. I really miss the processor speed setting... wonder why they removed it?

Yeah, I am not really on 4G that much, but I have noticed it popping up more lately. So perhaps that, plus the switching back and forth, is a drain. It also seems like even on just 3G, the signal drops out and reconnects pretty often, or at least a lot compared to Tmobile.

stet

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Any idea on when we can expect a software update to fix the issues from this one? This is my first Motorola phone so I don't know how fast they typically respond to things like this.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
No word that I know of. I would think it could be good wait until the next update, especially if they don't consider the problems to be major ones.

zman0417

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
@ stet, what issues are you experiencing? Before this update went in, a lot of us were getting VCSNP (or something like that) registration error. Since this update, I have not encountered any issues. The next update we are anxiously awaiting are is the Jelly Bean update, which Moto recently announced but has not announced a release date yet.

stet

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Issues so far include the missing 3G icon after making a call, I'm still getting VSNCP errors (not as often as before, but I've had 2 since the update so far), the missing processor speed action in Smart Actions, the noticeably reduced battery life, my top left icon on my 2nd screen of the main menu (using the default layout with the circles clock/battery/weather widget on the 1st screen) keeps getting replaced with a random one whenever I reboot.

zman0417

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Issues so far include the missing 3G icon after making a call, I'm still getting VSNCP errors (not as often as before, but I've had 2 since the update so far), the missing processor speed action in Smart Actions, the noticeably reduced battery life, my top left icon on my 2nd screen of the main menu (using the default layout with the circles clock/battery/weather widget on the 1st screen) keeps getting replaced with a random one whenever I reboot.

See if doing ##72786# fixes the VSNCP error for once and all. I used to get this error all the time but not once since the update. My battery life has been great so far after the update. As a matter of fact, I was able to get over 30 hours of moderate use just two days ago, with battery still showing 35% charge remaining. Not sure what the top left icon on the second screen issue is, but maybe someone here on the forums can relate to that and assist you in rectifying this issue. Good luck.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
See if doing ##72786# fixes the VSNCP error for once and all. I used to get this error all the time but not once since the update. My battery life has been great so far after the update. As a matter of fact, I was able to get over 30 hours of moderate use just two days ago, with battery still showing 35% charge remaining. Not sure what the top left icon on the second screen issue is, but maybe someone here on the forums can relate to that and assist you in rectifying this issue. Good luck.

That's amazing battery life! If I go to sleep with seemingly anything less than 30% charge, the phone will be dead when I wake up! It definitely seems to be related to the mobile network tho, because on wifi I get WAAY less drain. I bet this is normal, but the difference is a lot more pronounced since the update.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I think there is a good chance that my battery drain had to with being very close to an LTE connection. I switched to CDMA-only, and my battery life has improved dramatically, and my connection has been rock-steady! Before i was seeing constant dropped connection/reconnecting, even in 3G.

In addition, 3G has been very adequate lately! I'm finally happy with my device on the updated software.