Had to go back to gingerbread...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, after loading the Gomez rom my phone started getting very buggy. Did a complete wipe of data, dalvik, cache and system and reloaded my backup of oICSv43. And found my phone no longer runs that either. That has always been very reliable for me.

Don't know what the hell happened but now my phone will not run any ICS roms period. Help....

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Skunk, maybe suggest doing a backup of any important stuff on your sdcard storage and consider doing a full system restore back to stock. Then you can re root the device and start over again... Occasionally like any device you just have to do a major house cleaning because something gets borked....

[SCRIPT] [NS4G] One Click Return to stock

I've done it once myself and probably will do it again somewhere down the road... I didn't use this method I did a manual route which is a little more work.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Skunk, maybe suggest doing a backup of any important stuff on your sdcard storage and consider doing a full system restore back to stock. Then you can re root the device and start over again... Occasionally like any device you just have to do a major house cleaning because something gets borked....

I've done it once myself and probably will do it again somewhere down the road... I didn't use this method I did a manual route which is a little more work.

It's ok for now. After reloading my backup of oxygen and matr1x. I realized how much I missed gingerbread. So much faster, smoother and visually pleasing to me.

There isn't anything about ICS that I like better than gingerbread. At this point, I will likely stay with gingerbread until there are roms based on the official update. That's when I feel the real progress will be made by the devs. Up to this point the roms have just been too buggy for my tastes.

IMO... The gingerbread roms are just more refined, have more built in tweaks and just plain work better on my phone.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just look at my battery usage. Not only is it faster and smoother. I never got this type of battery life from ICS. I was on my phone a lot today. Look at the screen on % compared to the Android system. I wouldn't of made 8 hours on ICS.

adad05ee-3993-9834.jpg

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just look at my battery usage. Not only is it faster and smoother. I never got this type of battery life from ICS. I was on my phone a lot today. Look at the screen on % compared to the Android system. I wouldn't of made 8 hours on ICS.

Click to view quoted image

My battery life on dooderbutt v4 is not noticeably different than on gingerbread.

And you're right that ics doesn't have a lot that I absolutely need, but I prefer the button layouts and font and the general feel of ics compared to gingerbread. Did you try the panoramic pictures? That is a cool feature. And the voice to text is a kit better.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh and one of my favorite features... When I reject a call, I can send a quick text message. I've used it quite a few times.

And of course everything is easier to find like system and app settings.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Have to agree with you about gingerbread ROM speeds; I think that's related to the infantile nature of the ICS ROMs compared to GB ROMs. Lag is still there with gomez, but not as much as with the other ROMS as I have noticed.

Also, it would seem that we're all much more familiar with the location of features within GB, so finding them on a new OS does take a little more time.

I dunno; maybe I'll go back to a GB ROM for a while and see if there's anything I'm missing...

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm restoring back to GB now. ICS just isn't ready for prime time yet.

I like the look very much, but I don't like having my phone lock up and reboot on a near daily basis. And, it was very sluggish, even with overclocking.

I look forward to the official builds coming from Google...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My battery life on dooderbutt v4 is not noticeably different than on gingerbread.

And you're right that ics doesn't have a lot that I absolutely need, but I prefer the button layouts and font and the general feel of ics compared to gingerbread. Did you try the panoramic pictures? That is a cool feature. And the voice to text is a kit better.

How to answer this... I am at polar opposite of some of what you said and agree with some of what you said. Fonts and icons... Have said this over and over here in this forum. I like the GB fonts and icons better than ICS. I feel the fonts and icons in ICS are a little cartoonish for my tastes. See statement GB "is more visually pleasing to me" Go to your ICS address book and honestly tell me its more visually pleasing than Gingerbreads which comes stock inverted with white text on a black background.

I had the epic4g for a year and never used the panoramic option. I have a much better camera than will ever be on a phone. However when I do want a camera in a pinch, I have used the phone. If I need anything more than point and shoot it won't be done with a phone.

Yes I agree the stock ICS phone settings is better laid out. But still find the overall look of the setting menu in GB more visually pleasing with the white on black layout. Not to mention that the more mature rom/kernel developement in gingerbread added cpu, lockscreen, notification bar tweaks built into the settings menu without the need for added apps such as set cpu and ns tools. While these things will eventually make it into the ICS ROMS and kernels, I prefer them and can have it now with gingerbread.

You and I also agree on the voice to speech in ICS is better than in gingerbread. However to me, it is kind of like face unlock. It's more of a novelty than a real function I would use on a regular basis. My phone is turned off for the most part while driving, so it's just another feature that while nice or needed for some is not something I would ever miss.

Oh and one of my favorite features... When I reject a call, I can send a quick text message. I've used it quite a few times.

And of course everything is easier to find like system and app settings.

I have never rejected a call. I have voice mail when I do miss a call. I would be offended if I received a text stating you would call me back because you were busy. If you had the time to text you could have answered the phone. Then again I never use the phone for business. Where I work if your caught on a personal phone during working hours you are sent home without pay for 3 days. We get a 30 minute lunch and 2 15 minute breaks and those are the only times we are allowed to even pick them up.

Yes the menu setting are a little better laid out, I can still find EVERYTHING pretty easily with the way its laid out in gingerbread. And if I really needed quicker access to certain settings it is easy enough to add a shortcut to any setting menu item I want on the desktop or dock. Besides IMO...The menu looks better in gingerbread.

Have to agree with you about gingerbread ROM speeds; I think that's related to the infantile nature of the ICS ROMs compared to GB ROMs. Lag is still there with gomez, but not as much as with the other ROMS as I have noticed.

Also, it would seem that we're all much more familiar with the location of features within GB, so finding them on a new OS does take a little more time.

I dunno; maybe I'll go back to a GB ROM for a while and see if there's anything I'm missing...

While I have already touched on the subject that ICS Roms are infantile in nature compared to gingerbread, I find the mature nature of the gingerbread more of what I want now. I also agree that when the official ICS update for our phones come available, the roms will become much more stable and development will speed up considerably.

I have been on ICS as a daily driver for weeks now and know where everything is located so that's not an issue. I prefer the speed, smoothness, the maturity of the roms and kernels and the visually pleasing aspects of gingerbread over what is currently available in ICS. While I will continue to flash the ICS roms to check out their development, I will use my favorite GB roms as daily drivers until such a time the ICS roms mature to the same level as I am seeing on gingerbread.

A quick point about the battery life. The ICS roms I have been using, while they say they support deep idle they really don't. I look in the deep idle stats and it always shows 0% time in deep idle. On my favorite GB roms on an average day, the stats show closer to 30% time in deep idle. I have read that this means little in regards to actual battery life but I would have to disagree. In my experience, I have found that as the deep idle time increases so does my battery life.

This post isn't intended to try and change anyone's mind about ICS. I know That I will have to eventually make the switch if I want to stay up with the developments. However I feel that the development at this point in time is not to a point that satisfies me yet. I just can't get over how many people think that because ICS is newer, it is better. Does anyone remember when windows vista came out? Vista was a step back compared to XP in almost every way.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

I have only had the phone a month now, how borked can it be? If it is truly borked wouldn't it be borked when restoring back ups of gingerbread as well? The fact that it loads gingerbread backups fine leads me to believe that is not the case.

However I think the next time I load ICS I will clean it up a little better than I have in the past. Normally I do a data wipe, cache partition wipe, a system wipe and a dalvik wipe prior to loading a new rom. I think next time I will go further with a format system, format data, format cache and format boot in the mount menu. That is something I have never done before and may help.

But still I miss the maturity of the roms and kernels in gingerbread much more than anything ICS gave me. So while I am slightly disappointed in my experience with ICS, I know things will only improve with time. I am a patient guy after all. :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Mainly just a suggestion Skunk... Sometimes things can go haywire on a day old phone given the right situation, but if things are running fine on GB then I would say your okay. Could be you do need to just clean things up better when doing ICS. As we all find out our own devices treat things a little differently than the next guy. Some run kernels great, others ROMs, just depends on the tolerance level of your device's CPU and its other internals...

On the subject of returning to GB... I would like to do it, but then I would start wanting my mods and other stuff at hands reach which I have already begun to clean out to make room for ICS. Plus I just recently this past week got a new hard drive in my laptop so I'm starting fresh and haven't restored any GB materials from my main network hard drive back up and really don't intend to...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Mainly just a suggestion Skunk... Sometimes things can go haywire on a day old phone given the right situation, but if things are running fine on GB then I would say your okay. Could be you do need to just clean things up better when doing ICS. As we all find out our own devices treat things a little differently than the next guy. Some run kernels great, others ROMs, just depends on the tolerance level of your device's CPU and its other internals...

On the subject of returning to GB... I would like to do it, but then I would start wanting my mods and other stuff at hands reach which I have already begun to clean out to make room for ICS. Plus I just recently this past week got a new hard drive in my laptop so I'm starting fresh and haven't restored any GB materials from my main network hard drive back up and really don't intend to...

Ahh.... That is my point exactly. I was missing my mods that work on my phone and they are for the most part GB mods. There are only 2 ics mods that have worked well on my phone and those same 2 mods, I also have on GB. This is the reason I prefer the more robust and mature GB roms.everything works without any hassle or work on my part, just flash and go.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Completely understandable. I'm one that likes to be right in there with the development of the OS. Was there for the entire Froyo growth and moved into most of GB and now a part of ICS. This time around I'm alittle more in the background just watching but still fun being apart of it as it happens.

To each their own, give GB some love and run the heck outta Oxygen and Pool Party. Both were my favorite ROMs.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Go to your ICS address book and honestly tell me its more visually pleasing than Gingerbreads which comes stock inverted with white text on a black background.
Do you mean the contacts app? If so, I accidentally deleted it so I can't compare. But I've only used the contacts app maybe 3 times in the 2 years I've used android. This isn't important to me

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm restoring back to GB now. ICS just isn't ready for prime time yet.

I like the look very much, but I don't like having my phone lock up and reboot on a near daily basis. And, it was very sluggish, even with overclocking.

I look forward to the official builds coming from Google...

This happened with oics v41 for me too. Dooderbutt v4 is waaaaay better on my phone. There is barely a difference between ics and gingerbread. Very slight lag when I have a lot of programs running in background, but not a single forced restart in 2 days

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ahh.... That is my point exactly. I was missing my mods that work on my phone and they are for the most part GB mods. There are only 2 ics mods that have worked well on my phone and those same 2 mods, I also have on GB. This is the reason I prefer the more robust and mature GB roms.everything works without any hassle or work on my part, just flash and go.

It sounds like me and you just have completely opposite personal wants from our devices. Which is great that we are on android and have all these options.

I totally understand becoming comfortable with gingerbread and all of the tweaks that cyanogenmod has available for it. I bought the. Nexus device to be on the cutting edge, always on the newest software. That's just what I enjoy.

For the people who claim battery life is worse, I am currently at 8 hours, 44 minutes off the charger and I am at 51% battery life. And that is with fairly heavy usage all day. I would post a screen capture, but it isn't currently working on this rim, go figure.

Let's all hope there is anbofficial building for the 4G out soon!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I asked the mods to per request to re sticky the GB INDEX thread so the mods, roms, kernels etc. are easier to find for you all.

Reactions: Skunkape60

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like me and you just have completely opposite personal wants from our devices. Which is great that we are on android and have all these options.

I totally understand becoming comfortable with gingerbread and all of the tweaks that cyanogenmod has available for it. I bought the. Nexus device to be on the cutting edge, always on the newest software. That's just what I enjoy.

For the people who claim battery life is worse, I am currently at 8 hours, 44 minutes off the charger and I am at 51% battery life. And that is with fairly heavy usage all day. I would post a screen capture, but it isn't currently working on this rim, go figure.

Let's all hope there is anbofficial building for the 4G out soon!

I just like my phone software to work as well as it did on the previous version and ICS in no way does that with the current roms available. Like I said, when the official comes out things will improve. And when the development catches up with the roms on gingerbread (and it will) I will switch over for good. I don't like having to load workarounds. I want to flash and forget.

Like I said, newest software doesn't mean better software. I even had a pretty good example of how that is true.

Last edited: