Nexus-S 4G still the best Sprint Android phone.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Went to the local Sprint store, they had two Photon's on display to use. No offense, but that phone is garbage. Both units felt very laggy...the screen was washed out...Motoblur is disgusting...

My rooted Nexus-S 4G felt night and day smoother/faster, and the colors on my screen were a HUGE difference, as in way better quality and deep blacks and bright colors, the Photon looked bad. Vanilla stock Android is one hundred times better than Motoblur.

I am shocked for the Nexus-S being a bit dated tech wise, it is still my favorite phone of all the Sprint phones out today, I had the EVO 4G which was great last year, but is now slower and dated...bought the EVO-3D returned 3 weeks later, it was cool, just not a big fan of Sense, and the screen colors were just ok, picked up the Nexus-S 4G rooted it and installed Oxygen 2.2.1 ROM + Matr1x 6.0 kernel and this phone is a beast And I am sorry, but the Photon is the worst of the four phones I have tried, no offense.

So to recap, I had the EVO 4G at launch last summer, it was a kick ass device last year, now it is showing it's age. The EVO-3D is very nice, but Sense is not my cup of tea anymore, and have no need for 3D on a phone, the Photon is terrible, and the Nexus-S still looks and feels fresh. Out of these four phones the Nexus looks like the newest and greatest of the four, which is crazy, because the spec's on the N-S are dated.

Curious if the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S2 will finally be the best Sprint Droid, and dethrone my Nexus ?

Reactions: WickedJezter

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Pure Google & AOSP ROMs almost always out-perform any ROM customized by the manufacturer.
I'm not sure if it's poorly written code, bad implementation or just too many features that get in the way but I have never seen any of them beat the Nexus S, at least not yet.

I would hold out until the next Nexus is announced before you jump over to the GS2, I think it'll be worth the wait. :)

echoromeo83

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Same opinion here. Came from a palm pre, upgraded to the Evo 3D and returned it in about 29 days. Bought a used Nexus S 4G as a temporary device and now I'm planning on using it for quite some time. I think that the photon feels good in the hand but the screen is pretty poor and the demo units felt laggy.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
...I'm not sure if it's poorly written code, bad implementation or just too many features that get in the way but I have never seen any of them beat the Nexus S, at least not yet...

Agree, the Nexus is far and above the snappiest stock Android smartphone I have used so far - it doesn't hurt that it also has great looking screen, perfect phone size and looks sharp.

On other phones, such as the Evo, in addition to the normal system apps and your installed apps running on memory at any given time, Sense forces a laundry list of program, processes and services to run at all times eating precious memory and making the phone feel sluggish by comparison.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Same opinion here. Came from a palm pre, upgraded to the Evo 3D and returned it in about 29 days. Bought a used Nexus S 4G as a temporary device and now I'm planning on using it for quite some time. I think that the photon feels good in the hand but the screen is pretty poor and the demo units felt laggy.

Next time you play with a demo throw launcher pro or another launcher on it and the photon speeds right up. I still have dreams about owning a nexus someday...but I'm loving my photon for now

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I really just wish the camera was better on the nexus s. I came from an iphone 4 camera and when you go the nexus S, its just garbage.

It has that halo look that all crappy cell phone photos have and the screen is easily greasible and its a shame. but other than that, good phone.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I really just wish the camera was better on the nexus s. I came from an iphone 4 camera and when you go the nexus S, its just garbage.

It has that halo look that all crappy cell phone photos have and the screen is easily greasible and its a shame. but other than that, good phone.

When coming from an iphone I think camera disappointment its a given with any phone other than iphone. thats one thing apple has on everyone is the camera software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45