thinking about upgrading to ns4g

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
i'm thinking about going to ns4g from an optimus s and had a couple questions

I saw that it had some radio problems and that there was an update pushed to resolve this but i've never seen anyone really have anything to say about it, weather or not it helped at all.

also i've kinda gotten hung up on the lg marquee(mostly cause its so slim and light..no 4g isn't really an issue since i don't have it where i live anyway...) and i think i need someone to talk me out of it...

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Just realized I suck this in the wrong place. Can a mod please move this out of rooting/roms/hacks and into the general forum. Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Radio isn't all that bad on the NS4G. Sure it could be a bit better but it functions fine. Probably the biggest compaint I have on the NS4G more than the radio (which I really don't have issues with) is the wifi isn't nearly as strong as you would expect. It gets the job done but your not pegging that better signal strength that you should expect resulting in occasional drops in speed and can mess up a download now and then...

Away from that, like I said its still functions fine. Calls, texting, 3g/4g/BT/wifi all work just not as perfect as some other devices.

If your looking for better battery, updates, and a cleaner device then you couldn't come to a better place. Any Nexus device the older Nexus One, Nexus S, Nexus S 4G up to the new Galaxy Nexus will blow any UI overlay (Touchwiz/Sense, etc.) out of the water on battery life and speed.

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
That's good to hear. from what I've been reading it sounds like allot of whining about bars...and no actual comparisons or measurements.

And after the abortion of a official gingerbread update the the optimus got.....and then had rolled back I really want a phone that will have good software support and a nexus device seems like the way to go

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Signal strength or bars as some call, can be partially blamed on Samsungs choice in radio hardware and combined with Sprint. Its not that the radio in the Samsung units blow, but I have heard when compared to Motorola and other manufactures its not as good in lower grade signal areas where these others having a better radio help.

It works, don't get me wrong... Samsung uses excellent hardware but for some reason their radio choices just don't perform as well as we would like at times. I came from an Epic 4g to the Nexus and occasionally now and then I notice an area were I would of gotten a tad better signal with my Epic than the Nexus but I'm still connected and working as normal and that is the bottom line...

I have better thing to do with my time than sit there and watch my signal strength bars and keep track of do I have 4/3/2/1 bars... I got a signal, I'm receiving calls and surfing the net so its getting the job done.

Bottom line you have what a 15 day trial period on a new phone purchase.. Grab the NS4G if your happy with it, take it for a 10 day test drive and see for yourself if its something you like or otherwise take it back to Sprint.. Honestly I think you will be happy with the Nexus but everyone tastes varies....

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
well went and did it. best buy has em for $50 right now w/upgrade. so far its awesome, don't see any difference it signal. at work were i typically have spotty at best coverage it actually seems like an improvement over the optimus so....

loving plain gingerbread...i do kinda miss cm7 so probably not going to stay unrooted for long...but it is a nexus so its really the only thing to do.

the guy at the sprint store was doing a pretty hard sell on the epic galaxy touch 4g II s ...what ever the hell that samsung is called... :) nice phone not a big as i thought once i had it in my hands but...still too big.

great phone and it'll probably have a new rom by the end of the month...gotta make sure i really like it before i go thru the effort

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
great phone and it'll probably have a new rom by the end of the month...gotta make sure i really like it before i go thru the effort

Why wait? You can always use ACS's One Click method to return it to stock.

I thought the same thing that you do...I was going to evaluate for that 2 week window, but I figured what the hell? If it's easy to revert back to stock then I'll go for it. ACS's one click method will give you CWM 5 and you can go from there. I'd say I had a fully functional ROM on my NS4G in about 20-30 minutes and haven't looked back.

Now it's trying to find that right ROM/kernel combination...:)

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
yeah, it'll be sooner...already missing some if the things i had on my old phone that i need at least root for so...gotta find time this weekend...

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Bought my wife and I's NSg4 shortly after launch and both have radio issues. Calls and 3G data seem unaffected, the phone reports low bars but I still get data/voice.

WiFi and 4G on our phone sucks quite badly. My old Pre always locked in full WiFi bars in our bedroom at home where as our NS4G will go from 1 bar to 0 and it will actually disconnect WiFi. I don't even get full WiFi bars sitting 3 feet from the Router. 4G is great outdoors, but indoors is again hit or miss.

Seems like some phones have this issue and some don't Both my wife and I's do. The supposed update didn't fix anything. I just noticed my battery didn't last as long after.

YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa