Nexus S/ S 4G as mp3 player?

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I was considering buying a Galaxy player 5.0, but because of its steep price and lack of dev support, I was turned off. Browsing around on Swappa, I found a few Nexus S 4g's for around $200.
My question is, should I get the S 4G or just the regular S? I'm looking for mainly battery life here and it will not be used as a actual phone. I'm also looking at which has more dev support but they look about the same. Or should I go for a Nexus One? The only thing is that One's are the same price as a S.

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S is the GSM-TMobile & AT & T versions

Nexus S 4G is the Sprint version (also 4g capable)

Nexus One is the oldest of the group and even though its still very capable I would go with one of the first two for continued support from Google. (Both are confirmed to be getting update to latest Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.x OS)

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love the Nexus One hardware, but you're more likely to find dev support in the long run with the Nexus S phones. I guess it just depends how much you love the Nexus One hardware, size, etc.

I suppose if i had to pick between an S and an S4g I would probably go with an S simply because GSM technology is more widespread and gives you more flexibility. Suppose you go overseas, you'd be able to pop a local SIM into it. Plus you'd have multiple networks to choose from in the States as well.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
On thing to consider if you are using it strictly as a music player, the nexus doesn't have a memory card slot. So your storage will be limited to the available phone memory.

Just flash it...

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Ya I actually forgot it didn't have a SD card slot. Coming from a Droid 1 with a 16GB card won't bother me at all. 2 years of having that phone and I never even filled the card. I don't plan on going overseas, but that is a good point. I mainly liked the Nexus One because of build and (hard to believe) it's little trackball/light thing. But obviously, the smart thing is to go for a Nexus S.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Battery life is not good enough to be an mp3 player. I suppose if you turned off the radios, etc you would get slightly good life but listening to music seems to drain the battery fast.

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
How bad is the battery life? I plan on flashing it with a good rom and a decent kernel. Then I'll turn the radios off (airplane mode) since I'll only use wifi at most.

BigEL44

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I am using my nexus exactly like you want to and I get almost two days of juice out of my battery. Running oICSv43 with matrix 15.5 kernel. Go for it!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
How bad is the battery life? I plan on flashing it with a good rom and a decent kernel. Then I'll turn the radios off (airplane mode) since I'll only use wifi at most.

I guess my question would be: How much continuous time do you need to listen to mp3s? In airplane mode, you'd probably get several straight hours of music, as long as the screen is off.

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Definitely get the S or S4G. They have pretty good sound thanks to their wolfson codecs. Also, the voodoo enhancements help tweak them even further. HTC phones, OTOH, sound like crap.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Why go this route if not to use it at all as a phone? Apps? Games? If not, save 160 dollars and get a Sansa Clip variant and gain better sound, battery life and portability. Or for the same price, give or take, get a Cowon.

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I meant mainly as a mp3 player but I would be using it to play games on it too. If I just wanted a straight 100% mp3 player, I would just buy a bare bones one. It would take my Droid 1's place. I currently run emulators on it but even overclocked, it isn't cutting it.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I meant mainly as a mp3 player but I would be using it to play games on it too. If I just wanted a straight 100% mp3 player, I would just buy a bare bones one. It would take my Droid 1's place. I currently run emulators on it but even overclocked, it isn't cutting it.
If that's the case, and for the price, then yeah get it. Running VoodooSound on mine with PowerAmp and I have no complaints. My Cowons sound slightly better, but not enough to care about when on the go.

You should also be able to find a brand new Samsung Galaxy wifi player for about the same price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non