Nexus S or Galaxy S II?

dmfaber1

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
So I preordered the Nexus a while back, but the long wait for a release date got me thinking maybe I should just wait for the Galaxy S II. Here are my preferences:

-Love the Samsung Super AMOLED screen, so definitely thinking one of these two.
-Like Sprint, would also consider Verizon, but not tied to a carrier. Will the Galaxy S II even come out on Sprint?
-Like the Pure Google, not waiting for updates, etc. But can I essentially accomplish the same thing by rooting?
-Don't like the super over-sized battery drainers like the evo and thunderbolt. I know the Galaxy S II is 4.3, but it is so thin.
-Little worried about underwhelming hardware for the Nexus S.

So what do you guys think? Should I consider waiting for Galaxy S II?

calbear

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Did the "9/10" that Engadget award the GSII, or any of the other very positive reviews factor in your decision in anyway? ;) The reviews are seemingly anointing the GSII as this year's Android "it" phone (as they did for EVO last year).

When I was at CTIA last month, more people were crowding around Samsung's GSII booth as opposed to the Nexus S 4G. I played with both phones for a while and I would say that the GSII's thin form factor was what really set it apart from the NS4 (IMO, the difference Exynos vs Hummingbird, SAMOLED+ vs SAMOLED won't be readily apparent to the "average" user unless you point it out to them and do a side by side comparison running Quadrant).

Does carrier coverage affect you (i.e. do you live in the boonies)? Over on the Sprint thread, it seems like with the newest PRL update, Sprint's coverage has been shrinking especially in rural areas.

Can you get a better discount with Sprint? Or are you willing to fork over a $20 premium for the Big 2? (with comparable 400-500 min, unlimited talk and text, plans).

To me, carrier coverage and plan discounts is a bigger deal than the actual phone because you will be forking over an additional $20/per mo/for 2 years = $480 for a phone that will eventually be eclipsed in hype in a year or less.

I doubt that GSII will come over to Sprint as a WiMAX ready phone, and as such, I don't think the GSII will go to Sprint in it's current form factor incarnation. IMO, maybe later in some Epic 2 refresh. Sprint already announced its halo non-slider phone for 2011 in the EVO 3D.

dmfaber1

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, many positive raving reviews for the Galaxy S II have me doubting a phone I was convinced I was going to get. But I am still definitely leaning toward the Nexus, long release wait and all. The big factor for me is Sprint. I live in Chicago, so rural areas are not a problem. I really like the Google Voice Integration feature. I can get discounts with all the major carriers I think, but it is really only between Sprint and Verizon. To be honest, I just flat out don't trust Verizon. Their LTE network is blazing fast, doesn't cost extra, and doesn't have data caps now, but I have a feeling that that will not last for long. Plus bandwidth throttling concerns, make me rest easy with Sprint, knowing I will not have to worry about any of that. But the Galaxy S II is still tempting. If released on Verizon, would it be LTE capable? It seems stupid that a phone of that magnitude wouldn't be, but I imagine it would be released much later because of that. The other question I have is will dual core processors be making much difference with the release of 2.4? Playing with the Nexus S at Best Buy Mobile it seemed very snappy, and I was just wondering how a dual core would even help.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
After owning the epic I won't but another phone where samsung controls the software. I well be getting the nexus s. Then when its time for upgrade the next google phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty