Nexus S 4G Sprint promos?

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else think its odd there are like ZERO ads, TV commercials or anything promoting the Nexus on Sprint? Almost like they dont want you to know its out or something.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
When I called Sprint for questions about billing before I signed up, they did everything they possibly could to get me to go with the EVO 4G...even on the night of May 7th, no more than 3 hours before the Nexus S showed up on Sprint's site.

Now, I know that the rep obviously wants to make a sale immediately, but when they keep you on the line for 10 - 20 minutes trying to persuade you (even when you politely tell them three times that you would just like to wait), something's weird. It was as if they want people to skip the Nexus S and go with the EVO 4G.

Completely serious here...does Sprint have some type of partnership with HTC?

tsrich

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I dropped by a Sprint store on Sunday to take a look a the Nexus and overheard the reps trying to talk people out of getting the Nexus and into getting the Evo.

"The Nexus is a developer phone. It doesn't have all the software you want, that the Evo does have."

I don't know if that's a Sprint focus, or if it's common, but I found it interesting.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The sprint store I went to couldn't stop talking about it. However I was the one that initialized the sale of the device. The reps were just like how awesome a phone it was.

darealm

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I literally had to pry the phone out of the store reps hands because he hadn't used it before and was super impressed. The form factor of the nexus is going to make this phone sell all consumers need to do is get their hands on it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
For the average Jane and Joe the Evo with Sense or the Epic with TouchWiz will provide a much better user experience. Nothing wrong with Sprint wanting to save some tech calls:

"Why won't my Facebook sync"
"Why can I not remove screens I do not use"
"Why can't my new Nexus S 4G (vanilla android) do XXXXX when my Evo/Epic did"

I would be hesitant to recommend the Evo to someone that is not at least a little bit techie.

AllLacqueredUp

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The first question out the Sprint rep's mouth yesterday was "Why do you wan the Nexus?" Way to sell it dude. And before he would ring me up he had to tell me, "You know, it doesn't come with SprintTV or navigation or any other Spring pre-loaded apps." Um, yeah, I know, that's why I want it!

I was honestly a little insulted and felt like because I'm a girl, I was spoken to that way. If I had gone in, completely clueless, asking a ton of questions, I would expect him to tell me those things as I might not know any better. However, I made it clear that I knew about the phone, had been waiting for it to come out and was there to purchase it.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I think I finally get it...Sprint doesn't like that the Nexus doesn't have Sprint's preloaded stuff...no SprintTV, no Sprint Navigation, no Sprint ID... The EVO has some of this (no ID, I don't think) so they'll push that until the cows come home simply for that fact.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Being new to android, I totally misunderstood google's "clean" android OS... based on comments I've read, it seems like a crappy baseline except for having a clean slate.

Is this an accurate consensus? I'm about to get my mom a smartphone, as she loves the larger screen and feel of the Nexus S (she was not a fan of the EVO, and I'm a little worried on battery life for her for it). She's a complete noob with smartphones. Not really computer literate, but gets around her ipod touch ok.

Am I not going in the right direction for her? The form factor is a huge sell for her. I haven't had a good test w/ the nexus because they all lacked media or signal to really get a feel for anything. I certainly will, but wanted to get opinions. TBH, I'd get her an iPhone if I could... but she's on my plan, and I'm not leaving Sprint, heh.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Being new to android, I totally misunderstood google's "clean" android OS... based on comments I've read, it seems like a crappy baseline except for having a clean slate.

Is this an accurate consensus? I'm about to get my mom a smartphone, as she loves the larger screen and feel of the Nexus S (she was not a fan of the EVO, and I'm a little worried on battery life for her for it). She's a complete noob with smartphones. Not really computer literate, but gets around her ipod touch ok.

Am I not going in the right direction for her? The form factor is a huge sell for her. I haven't had a good test w/ the nexus because they all lacked media or signal to really get a feel for anything. I certainly will, but wanted to get opinions. TBH, I'd get her an iPhone if I could... but she's on my plan, and I'm not leaving Sprint, heh.
Not sure where you get the "accurate consensus" from, there are plenty of people that much prefer the original Android OS instead of the heavily modded versions with Sense/TouchWiz/MotoBlur. Personally I love the "crappy baseline" that is pure Android. By using different apps a person is able to customize the Nexus S into pretty much whatever they want. If she loves the feel of the Nexus S why not just give it to her and let her play around with it. Android is pretty intuitive, granted its not dummy proof like iOS is, and easy to work with. As you know Sprint offers a 30-day money back guarantee so it does not hurt to let her try it at all.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

You can also set up a second launcher such as Launcher Pro and that can help make things easier for your mother.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Not sure where you get the "accurate consensus" from

I've read various reactions to the dialer, txt message client, and browser that seem to point "google didn't do a good job, find an alternative." I believe those things to be pretty core things to the phone that should have been "done right"

However, with that said, I couldn't decipher if it was just hardcore techies or if it genuinely was not good. Yes, as I said, I'll eventually go out and test it myself.

mr_moist#AC

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the same "anti-sell"...

The first question out the Sprint rep's mouth yesterday was "Why do you wan the Nexus?" Way to sell it dude. And before he would ring me up he had to tell me, "You know, it doesn't come with SprintTV or navigation or any other Spring pre-loaded apps." Um, yeah, I know, that's why I want it!

I was honestly a little insulted and felt like because I'm a girl, I was spoken to that way. If I had gone in, completely clueless, asking a ton of questions, I would expect him to tell me those things as I might not know any better. However, I made it clear that I knew about the phone, had been waiting for it to come out and was there to purchase it.

My rep tried talking me into the Epic and used the same line about it not having Sprint TV and all that other stuff. I wonder whats up with that?

This is my first Android phone as I finally got tired of waiting for HP to get me a new WebOS phone and get some flippin' developer support and I'm glad I waited and upgraded to the Nexus S. I didn't like past versions of Android but 2.4.3 is sweet!

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe that this phone is for the tech savvy, so people (such as mom above) would be better off with Epic with pre-loaded Sprint stuff. For learners, even my teenage and college kids, this is the best way to learn to use the phone - throu apps in the Market.

For users who read and practice in this and other forums, it seems a dream, I don't have to figure out how to get crap off before I put mine on, nor remove what Sprint/Samsung put there that doesn't work.

For the newb, it will seem stripped and not fun, therefore harder to use.

For the Sprint reps - I have 2 good ones - the rest don't have a clue. One is still on Palm Pixi - you can imagine the answers you get (no offense, I had Palm forever, bought stock, and Android was my first switch),
but love it, so welcome Pre people, you will come to love it.

Back to point - and this phone will be harder to mod with the confusion over GSM/CDMA, T-Mobile and Sprint. XDA won't even seperate them, so I see problems, meaning bricks, of cross loaded things. They are
similar, maybe the same except for radios, but that is enough to screw up something. I promise I will not be the first guinea pig.

So I can see why they aren't pushing it in stores, most can't!!

dunivan

Feb 11, 2011
www.bryantdunivan.com
I already have fallen in love with the android OS, the only think I miss is my touchstone.

great phone, sprint doesn't want to push this phone as it gives them less control over it - they cant even pick what updates we will receive.