Hulu + on Nexus

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
As exciting as this is, its also a bad thing for Android. Not having it on no more than 6 devices ...wow. Andy Rubin if you're reading this ..change this TODAY. Your baby is killing itself you let too many people pick it up and now you can't keep up with it. Android needs to learn from this and it doesn't look like it is. People will switch due to this, heck I would if I didn't have a Nexus! But its just not right.

Sent from my Sexy Nexus 4G

Last edited:

khamvongsa09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with Android itself.. Maybe something about making sure the app works for the devices that are announced right now and I imagine that testing this app on every Android phone won't really be economical. But if they are doing this, then why not just let the consumers test this and just update it as the bug reports come in.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It's because of copy protection. The exact same reason why Netflix is available only for certain devices. Some devices have the built in copy protection, some they worked with the software to include the copy protection.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It's because of copy protection. The exact same reason why Netflix is available only for certain devices. Some devices have the built in copy protection, some they worked with the software to include the copy protection.

You can say what you want but the average consumer that walks into any carrier store to purchase an Android phone wouldn't know this. They go home and find out that their device isn't supported... its not good overall.This is one BIG HUGE advantage that iOS has over us. Have you read the reports, iPhone is out selling Android @ At&t and Verizon.

Because people want simplicity, and sorry to say this but Android is not simple to work with when compared to iOS. I dont care for dual core, 100 mega pixel, specs if the user experience is not there.

And dont come back with " then just go to iOS then if you're not happy!" Its not that i am not happy I love my phone but if Android wants to keep on selling, it needs to stand out and this is not the way.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
As exciting as this is, its also a bad thing for Android. Not having it on no more than 6 devices ...wow. Andy Rubin if you're reading this ..change this TODAY. Your baby is killing itself you let too many people pick it up and now you can't keep up with it. Android needs to learn from this and it doesn't look like it is. People will switch due to this, heck I would if I didn't have a Nexus! But its just not right.

Sent from my Sexy Nexus 4G

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. When you start a thread, a little background helps...

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what any of you are talking about. When you start a thread, a little background helps...

The Hulu app was just released for Android. Currently, it is only available on 6 different phones, one of which is the Nexus S. There are at least a couple of reasons for this, with the main two being one of ensuring compatibility with the various phone hardware configurations, and most notably, implementation of copy protection on the phone to satisfy the movie studios and such.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

You've been here since April 11' have a Nexus, and you dont know what Hulu on 6 devices is about? Do you ever read Android's Central main page? News?

Everyone here got it right away except for you.... you need to ketchup, your dipping in too much mustard.;)

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Beyond the copy protection issues that may be at play with these media apps, fragmentation in the Android OS is certainly a problem. Users of different phones will have slightly different experience dictated by the OEM system included on thier consumer devices. This also leads to some of the "bugs" people complain about with certain apps... this or that does not work on the Droid, or the Atrix or the Evo...

I only hope future iterations of the OS polish the UI and default apps enough to gradually do away with Touchwiz, Sense, Motoblur and all the rest. Better yet, I wish Google may partern with some of the 3rd party developers to adapt some of their apps (i.e., messaging, email, calendar, dialer, etc) as the OS' default.

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
You can say what you want but the average consumer that walks into any carrier store to purchase an Android phone wouldn't know this. They go home and find out that their device isn't supported... its not good overall.This is one BIG HUGE advantage that iOS has over us. Have you read the reports, iPhone is out selling Android @ At&t and Verizon.

Because people want simplicity, and sorry to say this but Android is not simple to work with when compared to iOS. I dont care for dual core, 100 mega pixel, specs if the user experience is not there.

And dont come back with " then just go to iOS then if you're not happy!" Its not that i am not happy I love my phone but if Android wants to keep on selling, it needs to stand out and this is not the way.

Umm I'd hope the average consumer wouldn't go to a store to buy a phone specifically to watch hulu on the device....and personally I don't see a huge difference in ease of use in the UI between iOS and Android, both are very easy to use. I think Android has an advantage over iOS with content since Google's a little less strict with what goes in the marketplace and the fact that we NEVER have to deal with itunes. All in all who cares if one app starts on a few devices to start with, nobodys ever said the app would only be available to those 6 starting phones, I'm sure it'll become more widespread over time. And if not, either be happy you have a phone it does work on, or do like most other people and watch Hulu on a computer.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site

The iPhone is definitely not selling that well on Verizon as it was on AT&T. Also the $50 3GS is not helping them much either. If people wanted simplicity then the iPhone would be outselling Android everywhere and it's not. Everywhere else in the world the iPhone has been available on every carrier and Android still outsold it.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is definitely not selling that well on Verizon as it was on AT&T. Also the $50 3GS is not helping them much either. If people wanted simplicity then the iPhone would be outselling Android everywhere and it's not. Everywhere else in the world the iPhone has been available on every carrier and Android still outsold it.

Past 2 post's have very good solid points.

But i never said a consumer would go to a store to buy a phone just for Hulu, but lets face it, this is one big app, as in popular.

Just go back and look up the HTC Thunderbolt forums here...and tell me how they feel about not getting this from the get go...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Hulu on Nexus

You've been here since April 11' have a Nexus, and you dont know what Hulu on 6 devices is about? Do you ever read Android's Central main page? News?

Everyone here got it right away except for you.... you need to ketchup, your dipping in too much mustard.;)

My bookmark links directly to the forums...I don't hit the home page very often and I haven't seen any other mention of it (not even in the market).

But now I see it's only Hulu Plus. I don't subscribe to the pay service, so it doesn't really do me any good anyway...

LeaninBack916

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Hulu on Nexus

My bookmark links directly to the forums...I don't hit the home page very often and I haven't seen any other mention of it (not even in the market).

But now I see it's only Hulu Plus. I don't subscribe to the pay service, so it doesn't really do me any good anyway...

Exactly. I read this and was like Hulu!? But its for the plus version. *shrugs*

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
You've been here since April 11' have a Nexus, and you dont know what Hulu on 6 devices is about? Do you ever read Android's Central main

Not a given considering you have a nexus a and it is supported.
What exactly, or why are you complaining?

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Not a given considering you have a nexus a and it is supported.
What exactly, or why are you complaining?

I am not complaining because I do pay for Hulu+ and am happy that I have it, I am complaining that the OS that I came to love since my G1 days is its self worst enemy.

This and all other HUGE apps should not be released to only some supported devices, all Android phones with 2.2 should be able to get this. I dont agree in which direction Android is STILL going. I adore this OS but I do have the right to my opinion and this is simply my opinion. The reality of Android is that it beat the iPhone in market by #'s meaning options for customers, but if I had it my way I would stick with 3 devices and make them all Nexu's.

I am just saying the way Apple releases their updates and stuff is so simple compared to ours. They press one button and all iPhones and Ipod touch's get it instantly with out headaches. I would love for Android to be able to do this.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa