Random Shut Down

Keesag

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a random shutdown, i.e. you think the phone is sleeping and go to check something and the phone has shut off - yet requires a battery pull to even re-boot? This happened once yesterday (prior to the software update), then again today (after the software update)...

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes that happened to me the exact same way you explained it a while back. I went to check the time and my phone was powered off but mine wouldn't turn back on until I did a battery pull.. It hasn't happened again in a good while though.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I guess I'm not alone. It did it quite a few times prior to the update and since the update, twice!

Just trying to figure out if this is software or hardware. If the latter, I will probably return and wait for newer models.

Last edited:

saturday186

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My phone randomly shut off least 4 to 5 times in last two days. The green led keeps flashin if i have a messege but it dosent turn the screen on. Is there any way to restart the phone without taking out the battery?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It happened to me once a couple of hours before I swapped out my first unit for another. (I had the "silent calls" issue.) I have used the phone heavily as an email and forum device, and lightly for solitaire, web browsing, and phone calls, and haven't seen the "sleep of death" before or since.

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Had this happen for the first time yesterday. Oddly, I thought it might happen before it did. I noticed someone else on this forum had said it seems to happen to them when they leave the phone locked up in an area with no reception. Well, yesterday I had to leave my phone in my car for 6 hours in an area with zero reception of any kind. I decided to leave the phone powered on to "test" this theory out. Sure enough, when I got back in the car I had the "sleep of death" that required a battery pull for the first time. Not to mention the battery was fully charged when I parked the car yet it was down to 60% when I got back in yet it hadn't been used at all. Just a guess, but I am wondering if this might be something it does after searching for an extended period of time with no luck finding a signal.

drstryfe

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine does this when I drive to and from work across town, or just any where in general. Its annoying to see my phone reset at least 3 times. Having my bluetooth connected seems to reduce the chances of this happening.

JPD

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Just got this phone Thursday. Went to pick up the phone and it was shut down/non-responsive. Had to pull the hateful to restart. Phone is up to date with the second MR and is stock no root. Is this something to expect or probably just really random?

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Im hoping the GS2 comes out before my 30 days are up. I think this phone will have issues for a long time.

I have been using smart phones for quite a while now, dating back to the Treo 300. I have used Blackberry, Palm, Webos and Android. Every single phone had had a quirk or two. Some worse than others and some quirks experienced by more users but all phones have some level of issues.

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've heard that this is caused by the battery not being in the phone correctly or something. I have yet to have this happen after owning this phone for a week now. One guy said he put some tape on it to keep the battery from moving and it hasn't shutdown since.

JPD

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
This thing has shut down 6 times in the last 4 hours... no lights left on or anything... only way to get going again is to pull the battery... I believe I will be getting another one from Best Buy tomorrow. Might just dive into the Epic Touch...but I really like the Photon

Sean-Troy

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am lucky I had zero issues with my photon other than search button becoming unresponsive from time to time and it hasn't happened in a few days