Motorola Media Link

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried Motorola Media Link on the Photon? The description in the Android Forum says it only works for the Droid 2, but it comes packaged on this phone . . .

It seems to be downloading my music from iTunes on my Mac to the gadget right now. I'm afraid to try using it to synchronize contacts.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the sync contacts feature is what's only working on the Droid which is a separate downloadable plugin. Haven't tried that feature since I'm using CompanionLink to sync directly with Outlook.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It told me to download the plug-in before using it at all. :shrug:

It works nicely for photos. It talked to iPhoto and brought over an album as a new folder that QuickPic understands. It works okay for music. It talked to iTunes and brought over the songs in the playlists I selected, but it lost the playlist info - so I had the songs, the albums, the artists, but not the organization into playlists. I haven't "set up" music on the gadget with media link, though, so perhaps that can be fixed. I want to do the music over again anyway, as I accidentally copied it all onto the Photon's internal memory, and that seems like something to put on an SD card.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It works okay for music. It talked to iTunes and brought over the songs in the playlists I selected, but it lost the playlist info - so I had the songs, the albums, the artists, but not the organization into playlists. I haven't "set up" music on the gadget with media link, though, so perhaps that can be fixed.
The "set up" it wanted me to do was just loading the Media Link onto my Mac, which I'd already done. So no luck there. It seems to have an option to create play lists on the gadget, but that seems tedious. So I guess I'm in the market for an app or process that handles this better.

Please let us know if you get the contact sync to work!
It doesn't actually have an option for "sync", just an option for uploading and downloading. I don't know whether that would add additional contacts or over-write what you have. I certainly won't try it without a careful backup, first. But perhaps I will play with this next week.