Sprint Roaming Charges

iamfuze

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Are there charges incurred when roaming anywhere within the US on Verizon's network?

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't know about charges but they changed their roaming agreements so if you go over a lot, they'll terminate your service.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've never been hit.

Rule is:

If you use a majority of minutes off network, or over 800 off network in any given month, they could suspend or terminate your account.

If you use over 300mb data off network, or a majority of your data off network in any given month, they could suspend or terminate your account.

I didn't realize this was new, though. I know the data thing has been like that in the TOS for years. Maybe they're just being more up front about it now.

Sent from my EVO3D using Tapatalk

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The TOS has had that stipulation for years. Maybe not since everything plans were launched, but shortly thereafter. Maybe sprint didn't actually do anything if you went over and they are now, but it has been in the TOS for ages that roaming isn't unlimited.

I don't know why it seems to come up like it's a new thing.

Edit: here's a thread from 2010 with the same stipulations I listed above. (I found an older one, but realized it was a fair and flexible plan, not an everything data plan).

So maybe not years, but over a year anyway. It isn't new.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g/126030-what-roaming-data-charges-evo.html

And one more, same time period:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/111219-roaming-issues-data-roaming-free-right.html

Last edited:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a new thing if it was part of your contract to which it was, on my online account. Plus the roaming department confirmed it which is why I am ETF free

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I found a tos from 2010 stating the roaming limitations, so however you got out of your etf must have taken some doing. I know they changed the wording on the bill (instead of saying data/messaging/roaming inc'l it now just says data). I have never had it say unlimited roaming on my bill or online, itjust roaming included, and I've had everything data since about a month after it launched.

This is how all of my lines used to read:

Everything Data Share 1500 Plan includes:

Everything Data Share Plan Line 1: $129.99 Minimum Monthly Charge Line 2: $0 Monthly Charge Lines 3-5: $19.99 Monthly Charge 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime Nationwide Long Distance Included Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included Nights: M-Th 7pm-7am Wknd: F 7pm-M 7am Caller ID Call Waiting Three-Way Calling Voicemail

TEP ($4 Ins. premium + ESRP) $8.00 Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime $0.00 VoiceMail Included $0.00 Unlimited Nights&Weekends-7pm $0.00 Premium Data $0 add-on charge $0.00 Data/Msg/Amer Roam/GPS Nav $0.00

Now the ones with upgraded smartphones read:

Everything Data Share 1500 Plan includes:

Everything Data Share Plan Line 1: $129.99 Minimum Monthly Charge Line 2: $0 Monthly Charge Lines 3-5: $19.99 Monthly Charge 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime Nationwide Long Distance Included Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included Nights: M-Th 7pm-7am Wknd: F 7pm-M 7am Caller ID Call Waiting Three-Way Calling Voicemail

Premium Data $10 add-on charge $10.00 Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime $0.00 BKB/Msg/Amer Roam/GPS Nav $0.00 VoiceMail Included $0.00 Unlimited Nights&Weekends-7pm $0.00

Note they say Amer Roam at $0.00. It doesn't state unlimited anywhere. It never did on my account, it always just said included.

Last edited:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So the typical "just because it didn't happen to you, it isn't relevant" response? I know it said it on my account, but I had the Everything Data account, not a share account whatever that is.

Point is, I had unlimited roaming until they changed the roaming agreement. It didn't take any talking because I firmly told Sprint i wasn't responsible for their crappy coverage, that I had already alerted tgem of reception problems before to no avail, and that my account had unlimited roaming.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
No, I'm just saying that the TOS has said the thing about the roaming for over a year. Sprint may have changed how they enforce it but it has been in the TOS since at least July 2010.

Maybe you had been grandfathered, i don't know. But the limitation on roaming is not new.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I roam all the time in VT. Off and on. I have never been hit with a call irs letter from Sprint. I thought you could use up to half of your minutes/data on roaming before they get all angry about it. That's what the corp store told me anyways. Plus it may change everyday! Tos does state they can terminate your service though. I do remember seeing that.

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
*facepalm*

Just because YOU never got a notice doesn't mean it hasn't been happening. -_-

Anyhow, it's from an 800 number that you may not have noticed. I didn't until they finally got ahold of me. If you keep roaming and they haven't contacted you, they probably will.

Sprint may have changed the ToS, wouldn't surprise me. But they did offer it before.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I roam anywhere between 1 and 6 gigabytes a month. It says xxxx KB used out of Unlimited in my account.

How?! Do you not live in the sprint covered area?

I roam about twice a week every week, but it only amounts to about 15,000kb per month (when I'm in class I don't get Sprint reception, if I forget to switch to wifi I roam - so I'm not actively using data, the roughly 14mb is all passive updating). I can't imagine using oodles of data roaming, when I roam my dataspeeds suck hardcore.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
How?! Do you not live in the sprint covered area?

I roam about twice a week every week, but it only amounts to about 15,000kb per month (when I'm in class I don't get Sprint reception, if I forget to switch to wifi I roam - so I'm not actively using data, the roughly 14mb is all passive updating). I can't imagine using oodles of data roaming, when I roam my dataspeeds suck hardcore.

I just kick it to roaming when my native connection goes down the pooper. My PRL gives me 3G speeds that exceed Sprint's even at its best.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, Sprint will be on your case for sure.

I asked them if it was a problem and they said it wasn't because I still use more native than roaming. I've been doing it for over a year.

I also suggested they let me leave without an ETF because of how much money I was potentially costing them and they said my usage doesn't fit the parameters for that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles