Does New 4G LTE mean better call reception too?

hammey22

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I am in MSP, and we are getting the 4G rollout in the coming months. For that that are in cities that have been upgraded, did you find your standard voice call reception improve, stay the same, or get worse?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Everything improved across the board: 3G data, LTE, and voice/messaging.

Granted I never had problems with voice or messaging, except for a brief period in the middle of the upgrades where they had to take towers down to upgrade them.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
On 4G lte you will be able to use data and voice at the same time. The lte won't do anything but if they are rolling it out there then you will also be getting everything else upgraded along with it, 3g and voice upgrades. So yes when you get lte everything should be better because the whole network will be getting upgraded. Of course you have to have a phone compatible with the upgrades. Lte will mean nothing without a lte phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

geneva54

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Just my own experience. I use my phone in my office for a hotspot. It is in a very bad reception area. Metal building etc. Some carriers that I have tried get zero reception .
I have been using the HTC EVO for a few years with fairly good reception except certain busy times of the day and then it lags. I do not get 4G at all so I'm strictly using the 3G.
I tried the Samsung SII and it had terrible reception. ALso the Motorola Photon which had good reception.
I just now upgraded to the HTC EVO LTE and it seems to do better than the OG EVO on reception. The OG EVO didn't have a Signal Strength meter so it is hard to make an exact comparison.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The lower the frequency the better the building penetration is I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
So the Photon 4G will not work on LTE?

Motorola Photon 4G

No it will not get LTE, it is only WiMAX compatible which is no longer being developed or rolled out, so if your city doesn't have it now it never will. The Photon Q is lte capable though.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
No it will not get LTE, it is only WiMAX compatible which is no longer being developed or rolled out, so if your city doesn't have it now it never will. The Photon Q is lte capable though.

Thanks. Not gonna get the Q. Either N4, or Sprint GNex.

Motorola Photon 4G

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I am in MSP, and we are getting the 4G rollout in the coming months. For that that are in cities that have been upgraded, did you find your standard voice call reception improve, stay the same, or get worse?

Sprint and Verizon voice calls will still be carried on 1xRTT for some time, only when volte is deployed will that change.

With Sprint however they are overhauling their entire network (network vision) which, once deployed, might see some improvement for voice calls due to more intelligent cell placement strategy, but that's just a guess.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Sprint and Verizon voice calls will still be carried on 1xRTT for some time, only when volte is deployed will that change.

With Sprint however they are overhauling their entire network (network vision) which, once deployed, might see some improvement for voice calls due to more intelligent cell placement strategy, but that's just a guess.

Well, cell placement won't change. Network Vision doesn't involve moving any towers, and there are very, very few new towers being planned. With Network Vision, several things are happening to improve voice coverage. The current panels (antennae) are being replaced with better, stronger panels, and downtilt is being adjusted to provide better network area coverage; or where there are lots of overlapping towers, it will be adjusted to provide stronger coverage. This will help with both 3G and 1x coverage. They will also roll out 800MHz 1xAdvanced to towers as they shut down the iDen operations. The 800MHz addition will provide the most substantial benefit to voice users, assuming the phone supports 800MHz 1xAdvanced. Most (all?) of Sprint's phones from the last year or so do, so most people should start seeing much better indoor coverage when that happens.