[How To] Google Voice for voicemail on Sprint

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
By request of a man of the cloth, here's how to set up Google Voice to handle voice mail on Sprint Android phones.

Open the Google Voice app, and follow the setup and you'll eventually get to this page:
153y108.jpg

Hit "Skip" and finish the setup.

Next, on your computer, go to google.com/voice, and open the settings for voice (upper right hand of page).

You're looking for what's circled in red below.
219zygm.png

Clicking on that link opens this dialog:
2u8au02.png

You're carrier will say Sprint, and you'll have a series of numbers where mine is blurred out. Follow the instructions on the dialog, and that's it! No calling Sprint anymore.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Why not just open the app and select configure voicemail. When it says that your carriers voicemail is not supported just chose use Google Voice for voicemail. What's the difference?

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Good simple directions. I setup google voice a while back but don't use it. Honestly, I don't see what advantages it has for those of us who only use 1 phone. When I used it I could get the visual voicemail which was nice, but the phone used to take forever to answer messages (like 8 rings) - to the point that sometimes people would just hang up.

Am I missing something?

mikells43

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
i have it on my d2, its pretty awsome, and the fact that u can block calls on gv is even awsomer, over all i like it better than vzw's visual vm. it blows it out of the water i think and fwding it is no big deal.

dmlee

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
It says that my current network (sprint) is not supported at this time. I just reinstalled voice and tried again. Not sure what you've got, but it doesn't work for me.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah not getting a confirmation message when dialing the number in. It beeps the dial tone three times when I press call, then Ends the call. When people try to call my number, and it goes to voicemail, it says "This number is not in service"

using an Evo on Sprint.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
From Google Voice support site:

Please note that if you're a Sprint user, Sprint is rolling out this feature to its users gradually and you may need to check with them to see if this feature is currently available on your phone.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
From Google Voice support site:

Please note that if you're a Sprint user, Sprint is rolling out this feature to its users gradually and you may need to check with them to see if this feature is currently available on your phone.

I just called sprint about this and the tech told me first that the evo is not a google based phone, unlike the Moment, or the Hero which are apparently Google based phones. Then he checked, with presumably someone who knew wtf they were talking about, and told me that it wasnt something they could support because its a google service.

Last edited:

dmlee

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I was also told that Android was just a market where you could buy apps, by the same Sprint Employee.

HAHAHAHA. I honestly don't think android fragmentation is a problem for the average android user, when they are already dealing with that as a source of 'information'.

c1971ace

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is dail *28and your google voice number,then all your calls will go to googlevoice mail. To go back to the default Sprint voicemail all you have to do is dail either *33 or *38 (i forget which one it is). Ive done it this way and it works.

Reactions: Addie_Goodvibes

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is dail *28and your google voice number,then all your calls will go to googlevoice mail. To go back to the default Sprint voicemail all you have to do is dail either *33 or *38 (i forget which one it is). Ive done it this way and it works.

It doesn't work. Tried it many times.

c1971ace

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
That's funny cause I've done this many times and it has worked every time. Im not rooted or anything either. After you type the number are you hitting call?

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
That's funny cause I've done this many times and it has worked every time. Im not rooted or anything either. After you type the number are you hitting call?

Yes. It beeps the dial tone three times, like it's flashing lines, and then hangs up the call. No message, error or otherwise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty