Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eyecon82
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

We moved from Sprint to Verizon two years ago due to dropped calls and slow data speeds. Our contract with Verizon is up next month and wondered if Sprint service had improved in the Chicago area? Verizon coverage and data speed is great but no Nexus phones makes me want to look at other carriers.

I've heard that it has gotten better there. I have no evidence of this though, just what I've read in this forum.

Posted via the One successor to the One

Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

I live in chicago and had sprint.....switched to tmobile 2 months ago
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    I live in chicago and had sprint.....switched to tmobile 2 months ago
    Did you switch because of bad Sprint service? How is Tmobile working out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_H View Post
    Did you switch because of bad Sprint service? How is Tmobile working out for you?
    Yeah, I live in Bloomingdale and sprint dropped the ball on me the last few years. I kept getting dropped calls, slow data, unusable data. I was getting 1 mbps in my house with 3 or 4 bars of LTE and I finally got furious when I kept getting dropped calls in my house.

Switched to tmobile and loving it. Service here is awesome! I no longer have to rush home to get on wifi to have my phone actually work. I'm not sure what part of Chicago your from, but here in Dupage county, it works awesome! I get at least 30 mbps down inside my own house and service works great downtown too. Last time I was downtown I got almost 50 mbps down.

It really helps that Tmobile has a very very very strong fiber backhaul. I realize Chicago is a Sprint Spark market, but I really feel like Sprint launched it early or something because I felt the network was worse after Spark than before Spark.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah, I live in Bloomingdale and sprint dropped the ball on me the last few years. I kept getting dropped calls, slow data, unusable data. I was getting 1 mbps in my house with 3 or 4 bars of LTE and I finally got furious when I kept getting dropped calls in my house.

Switched to tmobile and loving it. Service here is awesome! I no longer have to rush home to get on wifi to have my phone actually work. I'm not sure what part of Chicago your from, but here in Dupage county, it works awesome! I get at least 30 mbps down inside my own house and service works great downtown too. Last time I was downtown I got almost 50 mbps down.

It really helps that Tmobile has a very very very strong fiber backhaul. I realize Chicago is a Sprint Spark market, but I really feel like Sprint launched it early or something because I felt the network was worse after Spark than before Spark.
    Small world...we live in Bloomingdale as well. Sprint was terrible at home a couple of years ago so they gave us an Airave. This mostly solved the problem at home but had so many dropped calls when away from home that it was worth it for me to eat the ETF just to get a working phone.

Voice reception with Verizon has been very good and dropped calls are very rare. Unfortunately, data speeds are poor at home and pretty variable elsewhere. I am surprised Tmobile has such good coverage / fast data and will definitely look into Tmobile before signing any more contracts. Thanks for the reply.

It's not bad. I live in the near west 'burbs (Oak Park) and it's definitely better that it was a year ago. They've also rolled out Spark and that has help a lot.

In the city it's still hit and miss depending where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by buffdaddy72 View Post
    It's not bad. I live in the near west 'burbs (Oak Park) and it's definitely better that it was a year ago. They've also rolled out Spark and that has help a lot.

In the city it's still hit and miss depending where you are.
    I used to take the metra milwaukee west line to go downtown and the throughout the entire train ride, union station, and even by UIC, sprint's signal was great, but the network was awful.

I'm not sure if it's been fixed this last year, but in my recent trip to downtown, tmobiles been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_H View Post
    Small world...we live in Bloomingdale as well. Sprint was terrible at home a couple of years ago so they gave us an Airave. This mostly solved the problem at home but had so many dropped calls when away from home that it was worth it for me to eat the ETF just to get a working phone.

Voice reception with Verizon has been very good and dropped calls are very rare. Unfortunately, data speeds are poor at home and pretty variable elsewhere. I am surprised Tmobile has such good coverage / fast data and will definitely look into Tmobile before signing any more contracts. Thanks for the reply.
    Verizon's probably better if you go out in the rural areas like Mchenry or Dekalb county and go off the highways, but I hardly go out out of the suburban area. I've only had tmobile for the last few months and haven't really gone outside Dupage county, but color me impressed, the network is excellent and the data network is so much quicker than sprint was on my Nexus 5.

I used to have an airave as well with sprint, but for some reason, I went through quite a few of them. Oddly enough, Sprint's signal hardly reached inside my basement, but now I get full LTE with tmobile inside my basement.

Not sure if you have a nexus 5, but I took a test drive with tmobile before I switched. I bought a prepaid tmobile sim card when they were free and activated the $30 dollar walmart plan to get a feel of tmobile's network. It worked for me so I switched. I highly recommend you to do the same.

I just spent a week in Chicago, mostly between the Hyatt McCormick and downtown and had no problems with Sprint, and had mostly 4G coverage. Couldn't comment on other parts of town.

Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk

Chicago is great now. Used to suck a year or so back

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Banned

Yep I get awesome service when I'm in Chicago! SPRINT is really starting to get it's network going, pretty exciting stuff!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Verizon's probably better if you go out in the rural areas like Mchenry or Dekalb county and go off the highways, but I hardly go out out of the suburban area. I've only had tmobile for the last few months and haven't really gone outside Dupage county, but color me impressed, the network is excellent and the data network is so much quicker than sprint was on my Nexus 5.

I used to have an airave as well with sprint, but for some reason, I went through quite a few of them. Oddly enough, Sprint's signal hardly reached inside my basement, but now I get full LTE with tmobile inside my basement.

Not sure if you have a nexus 5, but I took a test drive with tmobile before I switched. I bought a prepaid tmobile sim card when they were free and activated the $30 dollar walmart plan to get a feel of tmobile's network. It worked for me so I switched. I highly recommend you to do the same.
    Even the Verizon signal is weak at my house. My phone always works but the battery life sucks due to the low signal.

TMobile sounds like it is working great...I'll have to give it a try when my Verizon contract is up.
    I don't own any phones that would work on Tmobile (currently using a VZW galaxy S3) so not sure how I can try Tmobile except for the 14 day trial.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    I just spent a week in Chicago, mostly between the Hyatt McCormick and downtown and had no problems with Sprint, and had mostly 4G coverage. Couldn't comment on other parts of town.

Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy13 View Post
    Yep I get awesome service when I'm in Chicago! SPRINT is really starting to get it's network going, pretty exciting stuff!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌
    I used to get good Sprint service when in Chicago but it was awful in the western suburbs

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Who you kidding. Still sucks. The worst is in the loop

Who you kidding. Still sucks. The worst is in the loop
    Works fine for me there...

-Sent from Tapatalk

Works fine for me there...

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Try Union station....

Try Union station....
    Works fine for me there too. Maybe it's your phone?

Have you tried a PRL and profile update?

-Sent from Tapatalk
    f1nzup likes this.

Sprint is my favorite network next to Verizon, and coverage is great in my city El Dorado, Arkansas but when I leave there is no coverage outside the city what so ever so I switched to Verizon prepaid ( not a fan of contracts with Verizon and Sprint anymore, so I use Virgin Mobile,Sprint prepaid, and Straight Talk). If they get coverage upgraded in my city and outside so I can go to Louisiana, and Illinois with out sitting the whole ride without service then I'll switch back maybe in 2015-2016 if the deal goes through with T-Mobile!!! And they should call it SprinT-Mobile!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Works fine for me there too. Maybe it's your phone?

Have you tried a PRL and profile update?

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Nexus 5.

I'm out in the western burbs and sprint has improved a huge amount the last couple of years all the places I frequent. Its night and day different when I go visit my family in south florida,where I honestly can't recommend their service to friends and family.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459213,00.asp

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by conquereddroiduser View Post
    I'm out in the western burbs and sprint has improved a huge amount the last couple of years all the places I frequent. Its night and day different when I go visit my family in south florida,where I honestly can't recommend their service to friends and family.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Meh, the western 'burbs is still hit and miss. I work in Oakbrook and when I take 31st street it's pretty much a dead zone from 1st avenue by Brookfield Zoo to the 294 overpass (data wise) even with a Spark enabled phone. Once I'm in Dupage the signal is pretty good!