Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

Ed_H

May 9, 2013
Visit site
We moved from Sprint to Verizon two years ago due to dropped calls and slow data speeds. Our contract with Verizon is up next month and wondered if Sprint service had improved in the Chicago area? Verizon coverage and data speed is great but no Nexus phones makes me want to look at other carriers.

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've heard that it has gotten better there. I have no evidence of this though, just what I've read in this forum.

Posted via the One successor to the One

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Did you switch because of bad Sprint service? How is Tmobile working out for you?

Yeah, I live in Bloomingdale and sprint dropped the ball on me the last few years. I kept getting dropped calls, slow data, unusable data. I was getting 1 mbps in my house with 3 or 4 bars of LTE and I finally got furious when I kept getting dropped calls in my house.

Switched to tmobile and loving it. Service here is awesome! I no longer have to rush home to get on wifi to have my phone actually work. I'm not sure what part of Chicago your from, but here in Dupage county, it works awesome! I get at least 30 mbps down inside my own house and service works great downtown too. Last time I was downtown I got almost 50 mbps down.

It really helps that Tmobile has a very very very strong fiber backhaul. I realize Chicago is a Sprint Spark market, but I really feel like Sprint launched it early or something because I felt the network was worse after Spark than before Spark.

Ed_H

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I live in Bloomingdale and sprint dropped the ball on me the last few years. I kept getting dropped calls, slow data, unusable data. I was getting 1 mbps in my house with 3 or 4 bars of LTE and I finally got furious when I kept getting dropped calls in my house.

Switched to tmobile and loving it. Service here is awesome! I no longer have to rush home to get on wifi to have my phone actually work. I'm not sure what part of Chicago your from, but here in Dupage county, it works awesome! I get at least 30 mbps down inside my own house and service works great downtown too. Last time I was downtown I got almost 50 mbps down.

It really helps that Tmobile has a very very very strong fiber backhaul. I realize Chicago is a Sprint Spark market, but I really feel like Sprint launched it early or something because I felt the network was worse after Spark than before Spark.

Small world...we live in Bloomingdale as well. Sprint was terrible at home a couple of years ago so they gave us an Airave. This mostly solved the problem at home but had so many dropped calls when away from home that it was worth it for me to eat the ETF just to get a working phone.

Voice reception with Verizon has been very good and dropped calls are very rare. Unfortunately, data speeds are poor at home and pretty variable elsewhere. I am surprised Tmobile has such good coverage / fast data and will definitely look into Tmobile before signing any more contracts. Thanks for the reply.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It's not bad. I live in the near west 'burbs (Oak Park) and it's definitely better that it was a year ago. They've also rolled out Spark and that has help a lot.

In the city it's still hit and miss depending where you are.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not bad. I live in the near west 'burbs (Oak Park) and it's definitely better that it was a year ago. They've also rolled out Spark and that has help a lot.

In the city it's still hit and miss depending where you are.

I used to take the metra milwaukee west line to go downtown and the throughout the entire train ride, union station, and even by UIC, sprint's signal was great, but the network was awful.

I'm not sure if it's been fixed this last year, but in my recent trip to downtown, tmobiles been excellent.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Small world...we live in Bloomingdale as well. Sprint was terrible at home a couple of years ago so they gave us an Airave. This mostly solved the problem at home but had so many dropped calls when away from home that it was worth it for me to eat the ETF just to get a working phone.

Voice reception with Verizon has been very good and dropped calls are very rare. Unfortunately, data speeds are poor at home and pretty variable elsewhere. I am surprised Tmobile has such good coverage / fast data and will definitely look into Tmobile before signing any more contracts. Thanks for the reply.

Verizon's probably better if you go out in the rural areas like Mchenry or Dekalb county and go off the highways, but I hardly go out out of the suburban area. I've only had tmobile for the last few months and haven't really gone outside Dupage county, but color me impressed, the network is excellent and the data network is so much quicker than sprint was on my Nexus 5.

I used to have an airave as well with sprint, but for some reason, I went through quite a few of them. Oddly enough, Sprint's signal hardly reached inside my basement, but now I get full LTE with tmobile inside my basement.

Not sure if you have a nexus 5, but I took a test drive with tmobile before I switched. I bought a prepaid tmobile sim card when they were free and activated the $30 dollar walmart plan to get a feel of tmobile's network. It worked for me so I switched. I highly recommend you to do the same.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I just spent a week in Chicago, mostly between the Hyatt McCormick and downtown and had no problems with Sprint, and had mostly 4G coverage. Couldn't comment on other parts of town.

Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep I get awesome service when I'm in Chicago! SPRINT is really starting to get it's network going, pretty exciting stuff!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

Ed_H

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Verizon's probably better if you go out in the rural areas like Mchenry or Dekalb county and go off the highways, but I hardly go out out of the suburban area. I've only had tmobile for the last few months and haven't really gone outside Dupage county, but color me impressed, the network is excellent and the data network is so much quicker than sprint was on my Nexus 5.

I used to have an airave as well with sprint, but for some reason, I went through quite a few of them. Oddly enough, Sprint's signal hardly reached inside my basement, but now I get full LTE with tmobile inside my basement.

Not sure if you have a nexus 5, but I took a test drive with tmobile before I switched. I bought a prepaid tmobile sim card when they were free and activated the $30 dollar walmart plan to get a feel of tmobile's network. It worked for me so I switched. I highly recommend you to do the same.

Even the Verizon signal is weak at my house. My phone always works but the battery life sucks due to the low signal.

TMobile sounds like it is working great...I'll have to give it a try when my Verizon contract is up.
I don't own any phones that would work on Tmobile (currently using a VZW galaxy S3) so not sure how I can try Tmobile except for the 14 day trial.

Ed_H

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I just spent a week in Chicago, mostly between the Hyatt McCormick and downtown and had no problems with Sprint, and had mostly 4G coverage. Couldn't comment on other parts of town.

Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk

Chicago is great now. Used to suck a year or so back

-Sent from Tapatalk

Yep I get awesome service when I'm in Chicago! SPRINT is really starting to get it's network going, pretty exciting stuff!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

I used to get good Sprint service when in Chicago but it was awful in the western suburbs

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Sprint is my favorite network next to Verizon, and coverage is great in my city El Dorado, Arkansas but when I leave there is no coverage outside the city what so ever so I switched to Verizon prepaid ( not a fan of contracts with Verizon and Sprint anymore, so I use Virgin Mobile,Sprint prepaid, and Straight Talk). If they get coverage upgraded in my city and outside so I can go to Louisiana, and Illinois with out sitting the whole ride without service then I'll switch back maybe in 2015-2016 if the deal goes through with T-Mobile!!! And they should call it SprinT-Mobile!!!

Posted via Android Central App