Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eyecon82
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ed_H's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    We moved from Sprint to Verizon two years ago due to dropped calls and slow data speeds. Our contract with Verizon is up next month and wondered if Sprint service had improved in the Chicago area? Verizon coverage and data speed is great but no Nexus phones makes me want to look at other carriers.
  2. #2  

    Default

    I've heard that it has gotten better there. I have no evidence of this though, just what I've read in this forum.

    Posted via the One successor to the One
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    I live in chicago and had sprint.....switched to tmobile 2 months ago
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Ed_H's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    I live in chicago and had sprint.....switched to tmobile 2 months ago
    Did you switch because of bad Sprint service? How is Tmobile working out for you?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_H View Post
    Did you switch because of bad Sprint service? How is Tmobile working out for you?
    Yeah, I live in Bloomingdale and sprint dropped the ball on me the last few years. I kept getting dropped calls, slow data, unusable data. I was getting 1 mbps in my house with 3 or 4 bars of LTE and I finally got furious when I kept getting dropped calls in my house.

    Switched to tmobile and loving it. Service here is awesome! I no longer have to rush home to get on wifi to have my phone actually work. I'm not sure what part of Chicago your from, but here in Dupage county, it works awesome! I get at least 30 mbps down inside my own house and service works great downtown too. Last time I was downtown I got almost 50 mbps down.

    It really helps that Tmobile has a very very very strong fiber backhaul. I realize Chicago is a Sprint Spark market, but I really feel like Sprint launched it early or something because I felt the network was worse after Spark than before Spark.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Ed_H's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Yeah, I live in Bloomingdale and sprint dropped the ball on me the last few years. I kept getting dropped calls, slow data, unusable data. I was getting 1 mbps in my house with 3 or 4 bars of LTE and I finally got furious when I kept getting dropped calls in my house.

    Switched to tmobile and loving it. Service here is awesome! I no longer have to rush home to get on wifi to have my phone actually work. I'm not sure what part of Chicago your from, but here in Dupage county, it works awesome! I get at least 30 mbps down inside my own house and service works great downtown too. Last time I was downtown I got almost 50 mbps down.

    It really helps that Tmobile has a very very very strong fiber backhaul. I realize Chicago is a Sprint Spark market, but I really feel like Sprint launched it early or something because I felt the network was worse after Spark than before Spark.
    Small world...we live in Bloomingdale as well. Sprint was terrible at home a couple of years ago so they gave us an Airave. This mostly solved the problem at home but had so many dropped calls when away from home that it was worth it for me to eat the ETF just to get a working phone.

    Voice reception with Verizon has been very good and dropped calls are very rare. Unfortunately, data speeds are poor at home and pretty variable elsewhere. I am surprised Tmobile has such good coverage / fast data and will definitely look into Tmobile before signing any more contracts. Thanks for the reply.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    It's not bad. I live in the near west 'burbs (Oak Park) and it's definitely better that it was a year ago. They've also rolled out Spark and that has help a lot.

    In the city it's still hit and miss depending where you are.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by buffdaddy72 View Post
    It's not bad. I live in the near west 'burbs (Oak Park) and it's definitely better that it was a year ago. They've also rolled out Spark and that has help a lot.

    In the city it's still hit and miss depending where you are.
    I used to take the metra milwaukee west line to go downtown and the throughout the entire train ride, union station, and even by UIC, sprint's signal was great, but the network was awful.

    I'm not sure if it's been fixed this last year, but in my recent trip to downtown, tmobiles been excellent.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_H View Post
    Small world...we live in Bloomingdale as well. Sprint was terrible at home a couple of years ago so they gave us an Airave. This mostly solved the problem at home but had so many dropped calls when away from home that it was worth it for me to eat the ETF just to get a working phone.

    Voice reception with Verizon has been very good and dropped calls are very rare. Unfortunately, data speeds are poor at home and pretty variable elsewhere. I am surprised Tmobile has such good coverage / fast data and will definitely look into Tmobile before signing any more contracts. Thanks for the reply.
    Verizon's probably better if you go out in the rural areas like Mchenry or Dekalb county and go off the highways, but I hardly go out out of the suburban area. I've only had tmobile for the last few months and haven't really gone outside Dupage county, but color me impressed, the network is excellent and the data network is so much quicker than sprint was on my Nexus 5.

    I used to have an airave as well with sprint, but for some reason, I went through quite a few of them. Oddly enough, Sprint's signal hardly reached inside my basement, but now I get full LTE with tmobile inside my basement.

    Not sure if you have a nexus 5, but I took a test drive with tmobile before I switched. I bought a prepaid tmobile sim card when they were free and activated the $30 dollar walmart plan to get a feel of tmobile's network. It worked for me so I switched. I highly recommend you to do the same.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    I just spent a week in Chicago, mostly between the Hyatt McCormick and downtown and had no problems with Sprint, and had mostly 4G coverage. Couldn't comment on other parts of town.

    Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Chicago is great now. Used to suck a year or so back

    -Sent from Tapatalk
  12. #12  
    Kilroy13's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    366 Posts

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Yep I get awesome service when I'm in Chicago! SPRINT is really starting to get it's network going, pretty exciting stuff!

    SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Ed_H's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Verizon's probably better if you go out in the rural areas like Mchenry or Dekalb county and go off the highways, but I hardly go out out of the suburban area. I've only had tmobile for the last few months and haven't really gone outside Dupage county, but color me impressed, the network is excellent and the data network is so much quicker than sprint was on my Nexus 5.

    I used to have an airave as well with sprint, but for some reason, I went through quite a few of them. Oddly enough, Sprint's signal hardly reached inside my basement, but now I get full LTE with tmobile inside my basement.

    Not sure if you have a nexus 5, but I took a test drive with tmobile before I switched. I bought a prepaid tmobile sim card when they were free and activated the $30 dollar walmart plan to get a feel of tmobile's network. It worked for me so I switched. I highly recommend you to do the same.
    Even the Verizon signal is weak at my house. My phone always works but the battery life sucks due to the low signal.

    TMobile sounds like it is working great...I'll have to give it a try when my Verizon contract is up.
    I don't own any phones that would work on Tmobile (currently using a VZW galaxy S3) so not sure how I can try Tmobile except for the 14 day trial.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Ed_H's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    I just spent a week in Chicago, mostly between the Hyatt McCormick and downtown and had no problems with Sprint, and had mostly 4G coverage. Couldn't comment on other parts of town.

    Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    Chicago is great now. Used to suck a year or so back

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy13 View Post
    Yep I get awesome service when I'm in Chicago! SPRINT is really starting to get it's network going, pretty exciting stuff!

    SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌
    I used to get good Sprint service when in Chicago but it was awful in the western suburbs
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    Chicago is great now. Used to suck a year or so back

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    Who you kidding. Still sucks. The worst is in the loop
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Who you kidding. Still sucks. The worst is in the loop
    Works fine for me there...

    -Sent from Tapatalk
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    Works fine for me there...

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    Try Union station....
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Try Union station....
    Works fine for me there too. Maybe it's your phone?

    Have you tried a PRL and profile update?

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    f1nzup likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Sprint is my favorite network next to Verizon, and coverage is great in my city El Dorado, Arkansas but when I leave there is no coverage outside the city what so ever so I switched to Verizon prepaid ( not a fan of contracts with Verizon and Sprint anymore, so I use Virgin Mobile,Sprint prepaid, and Straight Talk). If they get coverage upgraded in my city and outside so I can go to Louisiana, and Illinois with out sitting the whole ride without service then I'll switch back maybe in 2015-2016 if the deal goes through with T-Mobile!!! And they should call it SprinT-Mobile!!!

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    Works fine for me there too. Maybe it's your phone?

    Have you tried a PRL and profile update?

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    Nexus 5.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    I'm out in the western burbs and sprint has improved a huge amount the last couple of years all the places I frequent. Its night and day different when I go visit my family in south florida,where I honestly can't recommend their service to friends and family.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  22. #22  
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?



    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459213,00.asp

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Has Sprint Improved In The Chicago Area?

    Quote Originally Posted by conquereddroiduser View Post
    I'm out in the western burbs and sprint has improved a huge amount the last couple of years all the places I frequent. Its night and day different when I go visit my family in south florida,where I honestly can't recommend their service to friends and family.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

    Meh, the western 'burbs is still hit and miss. I work in Oakbrook and when I take 31st street it's pretty much a dead zone from 1st avenue by Brookfield Zoo to the 294 overpass (data wise) even with a Spark enabled phone. Once I'm in Dupage the signal is pretty good!

Similar Threads

  1. Should I get the S4?
    By hitsmanj in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 04:07 PM
  2. Problem w/ Audio...scratchy, tinny & "S" Has a Lisp
    By monicakm in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 03:27 AM
  3. Music Apps for the Moto X
    By fiat3192 in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 11:49 PM
  4. My samsung s3 won't open after the update
    By Emily Emy in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 06:48 PM
  5. watch band - is snug to the skin required?
    By ShaggyKids in forum Samsung Gear 2 & Gear 2 Neo
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions