Locked bootloader & Tethering

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am wondering since AT&T will most likely lock this down like the Aria (no side loading of apps, no wifi hotspot/tethering) and the locked bootloader it will most likely have: will there be any way of getting these working? If not, I will not be upgrading my aging Nexus 1.

This is the kind of thing that worries me. I can't imagine buying a computer and not being able to remove things, or use parts of the OS.

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering since AT&T will most likely lock this down like the Aria (no side loading of apps, no wifi hotspot/tethering) and the locked bootloader it will most likely have: will there be any way of getting these working? If not, I will not be upgrading my aging Nexus 1.

This is the kind of thing that worries me. I can't imagine buying a computer and not being able to remove things, or use parts of the OS.

According to the AT&T specs Mobile Hotspot support will be offered on the Atrix:

MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G - Android 2.2 Smartphone - Wireless from AT&T

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yah but now the question is, will they charge you to 'unlock' that feature.

I have my fingers crossed, but I am tired of these carriers dictating how I use the device I supposedly own. Thats why I still have a N1.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
In looking at the D2/DX it looks like they've done quite a bit with the locked bootloader. I'm not too worried. Besides, I got tethering to work on my Captivate without even rooting using PDAnet.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, PDAnet works for those who want to tether (their free version lets you tether all except secure web pages--u gotta get their full version for that access).

I believe AT&T has a $20 hotspot fee.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If you want free tethering and Att blocks those apps all you have to do is find an app like wireless tether for root users and use ac's. Sideload wonder machine should load it right on your phone

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
This is definitely one of the reasons it's a waiting game on this device, specs are amazing but locked bootloader will probably keep me from it. Waiting on wares from Mobile World Congress and CTIA Wireless as well...

lunderthunder

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
This is one of the reason's I'm considering replacing my N1 with the inspire rather than the atrix. I would love the dual core and 1 gig of RAM, but I can't live without custom ROMs.

Mobutu

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't suppose anyone wants to educate me on this whole locked bootloader and sideloading of apps thing? Just an overview would be cool, so that my little pea brain would understand what people are talking about on these threads.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
A locked bootloader makes it much more difficult to load up and create custom ROMs on the device. Essentially, you need access to it. This isn't to say there is no way around it (The Droid X is a prime example of this), but some things like Cyanogen Mod won't be available (at least not yet, anyway).

Sideloading apps is downloading an app outside of the Android Market. We're not sure about the Atrix yet, but AT&T disabled this functionality in Android on the Captivate.

evilstrike

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I still find this inconceivable that carriers still think people care about the crap they put on the phones before locking them. Ever since I can remember in regards to technology, the more you lock something down, the more people will try and succeed in unlocking it. Feels like such a waste of time and energy is put into locking these devices and for what? So that it can be branded and host a bunch of useless crap apps that 98% of the users won't even use?!

Carriers too me are just a bunch of scared little school girls that are afraid of what the big kids and can do to them so they prefer to stay in their little world wrapped in a cocoon of safety.

Something huge needs to happen to shake them up and realize there is tons of money to be made if you let the users do what they want with their devices.

Mobutu

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Sounds like something that I can probably make do without. The wifi hotspot sounds interesting though, but not interesting enough to pay extra for it, and not sure what I would use it for.

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I just want root access for tethering, maybe hotspot. I simply like my options open so a locked bootloader makes things more difficult for me to truly make my handset my own. I feel this freedom and customization is one of the core features at the heart of Android, but that may just be me.

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and to remove the ever prevalent bloatware. I wish Android would command the type of respect Apple does so our handsets wouldn't be loaded with garbage or at the very least we should be able to remove it as we please. We pay for the hardware!

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and to remove the ever prevalent bloatware. I wish Android would command the type of respect Apple does so our handsets wouldn't be loaded with garbage or at the very least we should be able to remove it as we please. We pay for the hardware!
Ain't gonna happen. Due to the open nature of Android, Google can't dictate what gets loaded on devices- besides its own proprietary apps of course.

That also means that carriers can cherry-pick features of Android that they want to lock/unlock on their subsidized phones.

That said, even if the bootloader is locked, I don't think there's been a single Android device out there that couldn't be rooted and customized. That includes bloatware removal and hotspot/tethering ability.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
We won't know if the bootloader will be as locked down on the Bionic and Atrix as they were on the Droid X and Droid 2.

However, the eFuse chip has only appeared on IBM-fabbed chips (the 360 CPU, Cell processor, TI OMAP3, etc)- it's a proprietary IBM technology. The Tegra2 chip is designed by Nvidia and fabricated at Taiwan Semiconductor (TSMC).

So it's unlikely we'll be seeing this ugly thing show up on these devices.

That said, we'll definitely have a locked bootloader that will probably be different than the mechanism that the DroidX/2 used. Whether it's stronger or weaker will have to wait until the community can get their hands on these devices.

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Ain't gonna happen. Due to the open nature of Android, Google can't dictate what gets loaded on devices- besides its own proprietary apps of course.

That also means that carriers can cherry-pick features of Android that they want to lock/unlock on their subsidized phones.

That said, even if the bootloader is locked, I don't think there's been a single Android device out there that couldn't be rooted and customized. That includes bloatware removal and hotspot/tethering ability.

I understand, but I do think Google should change their stance perhaps. Android is an open OS, anyone can use the core OS, granted. If it's to have the market and be a Google approved device I think they should leverage that with carriers and try to go the Apple route with no bloatware, the branding can remain it doesn't bother me that much. Root is all I need to get tethering, hotspot and remove bloatware AFAIK I just hate being limited. I could probably live with a locked bootloader but it'll nag me in the back of my mind, just a tad.

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
We won't know if the bootloader will be as locked down on the Bionic and Atrix as they were on the Droid X and Droid 2.

However, the eFuse chip has only appeared on IBM-fabbed chips (the 360 CPU, Cell processor, TI OMAP3, etc)- it's a proprietary IBM technology. The Tegra2 chip is designed by Nvidia and fabricated at Taiwan Semiconductor (TSMC).

So it's unlikely we'll be seeing this ugly thing show up on these devices.

That said, we'll definitely have a locked bootloader that will probably be different than the mechanism that the DroidX/2 used. Whether it's stronger or weaker will have to wait until the community can get their hands on these devices.

You're absolutely correct, we're still speculating but I believe Moto themselves announced all their consumer devices will have locked bootloaders so it's a safe bet unfortunately. Time will tell and I don't think many geeks (that includes most people that post on forums such as these ;) ) are keen on waiting for new technology. I certainly am not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo