New Poll: What will you buy now (with the confirmed prices)?

What is you choice?

• Total voters

MotoMan78

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Just the phone

Rocking a bold 9700 right now and I'm amped about making the big leap to android ... I'm going to buy the atrix but thats it ... I'd rather shell out 700 bucks on a " real " laptop .

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you MotoMan. I've also been a BB man for years, but with nothing interesting in the works from RIM...it is time to switch.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I chose phone and possibly docks later. The car dock will be 39.99 and if it's anything like verizons version it should include a car charger too.

about my thoughts on AT&T "f'ing their customers in the a$$" and similar comments I invite you to read my post given the top two companies comparisons on how they offer up data plans VZW vs. AT&T

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-atrix/59002-atrix-vs-thunderbolt-3.html#post593652

And how can you get all butt hurt about a phone that hasn't even launched yet and just up and say "im gonna just switch carriers" Does anyone else think that sounds like a little kid throwing a tantrum? Does anyone not look at the big picture? You can jump from carrier to carrier just like dumping your girlfriend or boyfriend but eventually you have to take a look at yourself and fix the real problem and that's YOU. I've been an at&t customer for 10 years and I like their coverage all over california where i've lived and I like their phones. I especially like the customer service i get over the phone here in the USA when there might be a small problem on my bill and 100% of the time they've corrected it. AT&T wont bat an eye if you leave becuase they made a business decision about ONE phone out of the 40+ they offer. they have 93 MILLION customers and SPRINT and TMO dont have that many combined and if you do the research SPRINT hasn't reported an increase in customer base in almost 3 years until last month!

So pick your carrier first, then figure out which phone you want and deal with it. AT&T is the fairest company, just read my post link above about VZW throttling. Bottom line the ATRIX 4G will be the MOST powerful smartphone in the world and probably wont see anything beat it in 2011 so go ahead and act like you switching carriers or as i see it throwing a hissy fit like a little kid, is gonna hurt anybodies feelings, while the rest of us 93 million are happy with at&t and the atrix in all its abilities. You have the choice...

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
AT&T is the fairest company, just read my post link above about VZW throttling.

Data throttling should be illegal! I'm never going back to verizon as long as they support such polices.

BTY: I am still angry over the webtop. Even though At&t's data is uncapped I still feel betrayed in that the webtop dock is going to be such a huge expense (mainly because I must give up my unlimited data plan for it).

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Wow...my grandfather used to say that if you have to resort to name calling to get your point across, you must not have much of a point.

Let me enlighten you as to why I left ATT (I'm assuming you were calling me out, since I'm the only one in this thread who actually did; next time do it by name, I'm man enough to take it)

Scenario: We were approaching the end of our 2year contract with ATT. Both of our phones were starting to die, although mine was far worse. Was I excited about the Atrix? Absolutely, because it will be a great phone; however, what really stood out to me was the docks...it was something I could see myself using quite a bit. And in fact, if you look through some of the earlier threads in this atrix forum, you'll see I was quite the evangelist.
Now, knowing that our next round of smartphones would be bought with another 2year agreement, we decided to do some due diligence into which provider would be the best for US to go with. In the past, I admit I signed some 2year contracts that were based on a phone, or other fleeting ideals. I've matured quite a bit since then. In our research, US Cellular came up as a very viable alternative; in fact, a very attractive alternative. We had them about 6 years ago, but left because their attitude was, "We don't plan to offer any smartphones other than Blackberry." (Side note: no, a corporation won't notice one customer leaving, but they will notice hordes. The assistant manager we worked with at US Cell this past weekend has been with the company since they came into the chicago market, and said that attitude almost killed the company, because so many people left. They realized they needed to change and now are carrying higher end Android devices. No, not the lastest and greatest, but that's ok).
One attraction to US Cell was the fact that they offer coverage up in Wisconsin where my in-laws have some property; ATT, nothing up there...not even roaming. My wife goes up there 3-4 times a year with the kids and it will now be nice to be able to talk to her when they are up there.
So, back to ATT. I had the unlimited data grandfathered, and had no intention of giving it up willingly. Was very excited about the Atrix, until ATT made their announcement regarding availability and pricing. What killed the excitement for me was the tethering requirement, which in turn would necessitate the change in data plan. Would I used more than 4gig of data? Probably not, but I can't see spending $15 more per month, for less data. It's a matter of principle. To add to that, I couldn't wait until march 6.
I might have waited until the 13th and gotten the Inspire, even used that until the Atrix came out. (I had an upgrade available, my wife was just over a month away from hers) So when we went into the ATT store to look at our options and see what they could do, we were told in no uncertain terms that it would cost $200 extra for my wife to upgrade, which was more than what our ETF ended up being. I was very polite; I try to treat CS reps how I want to be treated, and explained that it would be cheaper for me to just walk away to US Cell. Her attitude was, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

That night we ended up with 2 Samsung Mesmerize's and a way better plan than we had with ATT (more core services for less $$ per month) for less than it would have cost to upgrade my wife's phone with ATT. Temper tantrum? HIssy fit? Don't think so. I voted with my wallet. I found a carrier that had a better deal. It wasn't a spur of the moment decision, but ATT definitely had a direct role in pushing us away.

Let me address a couple of points you made:

AT&T wont bat an eye if you leave becuase they made a business decision about ONE phone out of the 40+ they offer. they have 93 MILLION customers and SPRINT and TMO dont have that many combined and if you do the research SPRINT

I agree they made a business decision; in fact, I don't think anyone here disagrees with that point. However, look at it this way. If you have 2-3 gas stations in town, and 1 station makes a "business decision" to charge 15 cents more per gallon, customers are naturally going to avoid that station and fill up elsewhere. For me, 15 cents a gallon would translate to over $200 a year. Hissy fit? Temper tantrum? No, just sound personal financial decisions. I realize that illustration can break down because gas prices can fluctuate; others will stick with the more expensive station since that's where they've always gotten gas. Also, there's no 2year contracts involved with gas stations.
But the point remains, business decision or not, it will drive people away. Which leads me to the next point. I find it humorous that you say they won't bat an eye if customers leave, and then in the same breath you mention Sprint twice. Sprint used to have a very large customer base; but people left due a number of errors and mistakes on Sprint's part. There's a reason why Sprint has struggled in recent years. Am I saying the same thing is going to happen to ATT because of the Atrix dock/tethering plan fiasco? No, but add that to losing their exclusivity to their cash iCow, along with trying to nickle and dime people and the network issues (whether real or perceived), and they may just be heading down the same path as Sprint. Again, not saying they will, but it's always a possibility.

So pick your carrier first, then figure out which phone you want and deal with it. AT&T is the fairest company, just read my post link above about VZW throttling. Bottom line the ATRIX 4G will be the MOST powerful smartphone in the world and probably wont see anything beat it in 2011 so go ahead and act like you switching carriers or as i see it throwing a hissy fit like a little kid, is gonna hurt anybodies feelings, while the rest of us 93 million are happy with at&t and the atrix in all its abilities. You have the choice...

So a person is supposed to pick their carrier first, but if they don't pick the one that suits you, then that person is throwing a hissy fit?
I haven't slammed the Atrix...it's going to be a good phone. However, I don't need the "latest and greatest" to make me feel better about my purchasing decision; I don't need "the world's most powerful smartphone" to compensate for anything. I'm thrilled with my phone and what it does; I'm thrilled with my carrier, as apparently you are. That's fine; just remember what works for you won't work for everyone. I realize that; US Cellular isn't going to be an option for 90% of the people on this board. But because someone has that option and chooses to exercise that option doesn't give you the right to start calling names. If you need 93 million people to back you up and make you feel better about your purchasing decisions, more power to you.

Well, I've probably said enough. This thread has really gone all over the place :D

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Runs with scissors I dont even remember seeing your name while reading through the thread, so I was not directing anything at any ONE person, but when your volunteer your resentment to my comments and opinions then that is not my fault.

I see too many people every week that come in to my store with an attitude of "what is at&t going to do to keep me from going to "x" company" and I wish people would realize that that attitude doesn't work anymore, but I definitely dont tell them comments like that guy did. I politely ask them questions about what they are looking for and how we can accommodate that within our abilities. Like I said before you should pick a carrier that works for you. whether it be coverage or price so be it. It's a fact that at&t and verizon are the largest and most expensive to be apart of. And I actually use your gas station analogy on a daily basis but with a little twist. Verizon and At&t are like two gas stations across the street from each other. when one of them drops their gas down by 15 cents the other will follow to keep customers and business. like the 99 dollar unl talk dropping to 69 and both companies did it within 3 days of each other. So I understand you want a fair price for your service and your phone. but its not like motorola came out and said we will sell the laptop dock for 100 bucks and at&t said nope try 500. this debate goes back to all competition but if I'm a PS3 fan and the XBOX 360 comes out 100 cheaper at launch I'm not going to get mad at Playstation, I'm still going to buy a playstation. This country is so caught up in 2yr contracts that they think they have the power to demand free phones and huge discounts. In Europe and Asia you buy any GSM phone that you like and then you just pick your service. And that phone if its high end will run you between 600-1500 bucks. And its your job to protect that phone. if you break it you dont run into your carriers store and say "my phones broken and its your job to give me a free one" now im not saying that this is what you personally did but people/customers in general do this and its all because they got that phone at a discount if not free but they dont consider they got a 150-500 dollar discount at the time of signing up for that 2 yr contract.

Anyway sorry that this thread has gotten a little off topic, and again I apoligize to Running with scissors that you felt called out, but it's more like the hundreds of people that I talk with monthly and I get the same vibe from some of the people on this topic that are wanting to switch carriers becuase of a phone and acc. The company you want to be with should carry more weight than the phone. you are going to pay 200 for a phone ONE time, but How much will you pay for the service over the next two years and it doesn't matter how cool your phone is if youre unhappy with service. Me personally i pay about 200 a month for 5 phones and two are smartphones. So i will pay 4800 dollars for "service" in two years to use my $200 atrix that's the point I'm trying to make i guess.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Why does anyone need 5 phones? You say that you "personally" - please tell me these are not really all for you!

No they are all family, Me, my wife, my mom, my brother and his wife. Ironically they will soon be switching to verizon just because in Indio california they get better reception. They dont even care what phone they use but they know for sure from past experiance they hate TMO for reception and cus service and Sprint for the same reasons so they figure they can always find good reception with the Duopoly. So that will save me 20-30 bucks a month but nothing big

Oh year Running with scissors I forgot to give you props on one really important point you made. At&t does look kinda ******ed when you are 8 months from being out of contract and you can pay $100 to cancel or pay $200 more on top of the contract price to do an exception upgrade. No brainer right? But here's where at&t is coming from; there have been a lot of people flipping phones. they do an upgrade to a smartphone and sell it for retail value overseas and pocket maybe 300-500 in profit then 6 months later do an exception upgrade and pay only 75 more than the contract price and again sell if for 500-700 overseas. very lucrative business. so at&t learned this years ago with the iphone and it has always cost 200 more to do an exception to lessen the profit margin for flippers and discourage it. Now that more and more smartphones are becoming high end like the iphone and can net a pretty big profit they too have been forced to raise it to 200. its still less than the no contract price but there was just too much abuse of the early or exception upgrade for no good reason except to make a profit off the discount at&t was supplying on phones.

So good point you made about why it made sense to switch and I'm not madatcha for doin it. I encourage all my friends and family to pick a company that has good coverage and most of the people you talk to are on that network so you get free mobile to mobile and not have to pay for extra minutes just to talk to those people. Dont just buy from me cuz you wanna help me out, do what makes the most sense.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
So, after reading all the early reviews my fever to get the Atrix has spiked. I hopped on over to Moto's site and went ahead and signed up for a Motoblur account.

Putting the cart before the horse? Probably!

I'm still a little anxious about going from stock android on my N1 to the Atrix with Blur. It'll be something new I guess?!?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87