Unlockable??

nomad005

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I see people nitpicking over the barest detail with their phones, while all I want is to have the Atrix, a fast and so far from what I've heard is a reliable phone, unlocked so I can use it over seas.

When will unlocking be available??? It's killing me. I don't want AT&T ****ty plan when I can have Virgin's pay as you go plan.

[EDIT] Is GSMLiberty Legit???

Last edited:

ggong5150

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
In the past I've called ATT support and told them I was traveling overseas and they would walk you through the process of unlocking. Used to do it with my Blackberry. Try that and let us know what happens.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
AT&T reps often lie. Or, are misinformed.

AT&T's corporate policy is that ANY phone can be unlocked. Usually you have to be an AT&T account holder for more than 90 days (the account, paid 3 bills and posted, not just owning the phone) and when you call, they may take 48 hours to call you back with the code.

If anyone tells you they can't unlock, repeat after me:
"I need to speak to your supervisor."

nomad005

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I called 4 different stores and got no help. I am not going to bother with a CS rep that has been brainwashed into saying only no.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I just spoke to an AT&T 611 rep and she says they have a NEW POLICY:

No unlock codes for new phones until they have had the phone for one full year.

The store reps should have been able to tell you the same thing: NEW POLICY.

Now, is this legal,changing the policy without notifying the contract holder...that's something else again. But if you want to unlock code right now, you're going to have to pay a cracker.

ggong5150

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I just spoke to an AT&T 611 rep and she says they have a NEW POLICY:

No unlock codes for new phones until they have had the phone for one full year.

The store reps should have been able to tell you the same thing: NEW POLICY.

Now, is this legal,changing the policy without notifying the contract holder...that's something else again. But if you want to unlock code right now, you're going to have to pay a cracker.

That sucks!! What happens if you upgraded your phone and were going away on business or a vacation. Shouldn't matter to ATT, since your on a contract. I would try talking to another CS rep.