Can't return my phone!!

audi#AC

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Good evening folks, my phone has been acting weird for sometime note today my phone turns 29 days since i got it. My phone from time to time turns off by itself and a red light blink with at least 60% battery left. i have to remove the battery to be able to turn it back on. Also the finger sensor freezes saying initializing finger sensor and it sits there for a while or once again i'm force to remove the battery. Long story short My wife has the same phone but with more problems than mine.

Today we decided to go to the AT&T store to exchange phones, and the guy from At&t wouldnt take my phone because of really small nick on the back side between battery case and the corner of the phone. it is small unnoticeable. He said. the warranty will say cosmetic damage, which i dont think it will affect the fact that it's the phone itself thats bad. and if i did in fact return it they would bill me $400+ tax for the price of a new phone. so needless to say i'm screw and stuck with the phone, unless i break and claim through insurance which i will still have to pay $150. In the other hand my wife was able to get her new phone. i'm so pissed right now because tomorrow will be 30 day and the 30 day warranty will be up. I just cant believe a tiny nick on the phone would affect the way the phone opperates?? :'(

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, go talk to another person ASAP! or ask to see that store's manager. Something tiny like that should NOT keep you from returning a defective phone.

theween04

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
doesn't the phone have a warranty? like can't you use that to have them give you a new working atrix? I realize the return period is 30 days if say you want a different model but shouldnt you be able to get your phone fixed regardless of the 30 days or is there something im missing?

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Whaaat...that's a bummer. U should be able yo return it under warranty at least. A tiny nick wont matter...try calling it in and maybe they can mail u a replacement and u can ship back the defective device instead of going thru the store.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

audi#AC

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hmm

doesn't the phone have a warranty? like can't you use that to have them give you a new working atrix? I realize the return period is 30 days if say you want a different model but shouldnt you be able to get your phone fixed regardless of the 30 days or is there something im missing?
No you are not missing anything, my phone is defective but because of the tiny nick they say that the warranty will not cover it because of cosmetic damage. i really feel like im getting screwed. cause other than that he said that i could use the insurance and get ****ed even more by paying $150. im really bummed about this..who should i call? att or what

ggong5150

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Try selling it on Craigslist and buy another off contract at the $499 price. U can get at least $500-525 for it. I sold mine for $550, cause if I had returned it I would've had to pay the $35 restocking fee.

theween04

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
No you are not missing anything, my phone is defective but because of the tiny nick they say that the warranty will not cover it because of cosmetic damage. i really feel like im getting screwed. cause other than that he said that i could use the insurance and get ****ed even more by paying $150. im really bummed about this..who should i call? att or what

Thats crazy, i've never heard of that happening. I would suggest what other people on here have, just try someone else, go to a different store or even better just call it in since they can't see the phone beforehand and prob. wont pay too much attention to the phone.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Try selling it on Craigslist and buy another off contract at the $499 price. U can get at least $500-525 for it. I sold mine for $550, cause if I had returned it I would've had to pay the $35 restocking fee.

This is the worst idea ever. The phone has a one year warranty and by no means should be sold in order to buy another.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I once returned an Android phone at an AT&T store that had two major dings at the corner edges. The guy didn't even notice them and accepted the return. Just go to another store and try again...

audi#AC

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
upate

Okay here is an update. i called costumer service and sure enough i went through the same explanation i did in the store. she said that if was to send it in and the damage was too big they will bill me $499. other than that she took notes and told me to take to a corporate office to have them take a look at. What sucks about that is.... I have to drive 2 hours away. Clearly enough the idiot at AT&T didn't know crap about the warranty and didn't explain me that it had 1 year warranty. ohh!!! the warranty service on the phone had me do a master reset which i had previously done early this week. So either way in screwed cause gas is outrageous and i have to take it to corporate. this really sucks and if it happens that i have to pay for a new im switching to verizon. I really love this phone a lot but i can't allow the service to take advantage of me.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Did you use a credit card? They usually have extended plans for this. Check with your credit card company. That's one good thing about them.

nory826

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my first atrix. It would reboot at random and flash the red blinking light, then after two days of having it, it shut off for the last time. With blinking red led, didn't matter if I pulled the battery to restart it. That was it. So Im basically saying, if your phone is doing that already, its going to die very soon. I heard it was a bad battery problem. I went to at&t the next day and the Guy gave me a new one with now problem. Even in your case, its a defective phone, period. They need to honor that and give you a new one. ****, they are already withholding hspa + from us.

audi#AC

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you use a credit card? They usually have extended plans for this. Check with your credit card company. That's one good thing about them.

i did pay with a check card, i never heard of that how do you do that?about the extended plans

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Am not sure about "debit cards", however, you should check with your bank. And sure they contracted with Visa or Mastercard. In theory, you might be able to "contest" the charge against your card. Never tried it with a debit card, only with a "credit" card. What happens, is you file a compaint against the company via your bank (because of a bad product under warranty that the business refuses to take back), the bank pulls the money back from the business, until some resolution is made.

Rule number 1, keep all documentation of correspondence from the offending company, dates, names, etc.

chemicaldave

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay here is an update. i called costumer service and sure enough i went through the same explanation i did in the store. she said that if was to send it in and the damage was too big they will bill me $499.

She's just covering her ass. Obviously she can't see the phone, so she doesn't want to give you false information. If she told you there would be no charge and you ended up getting charged (because she has no way of knowing what condition your phone is in) then she'll be to blame.

Instead of driving to a corporate center, go to another store. If they say the same thing as to talk to a manager.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why this would drive you towards Verizon. All phone carriers will go through the same steps when a customer wants to return/exchange a phone within the trial period. Heck, Verizon's trial period is even shorter.

But I still think that you just got unlucky with the rep that you talked to in person.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why this would drive you towards Verizon. All phone carriers will go through the same steps when a customer wants to return/exchange a phone within the trial period. Heck, Verizon's trial period is even shorter.

But I still think that you just got unlucky with the rep that you talked to in person.

Agreed trust me I had Verizon a few years back and trying to get a replacement phone was a nightmare!

I'd seriously even go back to the same store and talk to a different worker. Don't even mention the "damage" just tell them what the deal is and tell them the "damage" has NOTHING to do with the issues the phone is having. If they don't help you then tell them to have a good day and you will be contacting the BBB about them.

I find that staying calm and being nice gets you a lot further than being rude and short with them. Kindness kills and gets you what you want. When I got the Atrix I called customer service to actually cancel service and they asked me what they could do to keep me. I said give me a full upgrade right now and I'll stay just thinking its worth a shot and they wouldn't do it. The rep said ok what phone do you want. A few minutes later my phone was paid for and getting ready to be shipped. They also even took a lot of money off my current bill for whatever reason haha. Worked out pretty good for me!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87