lack of roms?

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Non-existent so far. Check xda-developers for updates, etc. They're the ones that come out with different ROMs.

They do have a couple, but they don't look any different.

nyeark

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Theres a few and while the initial differences may not be huge they allow other mods and tweaks, including the enhanced ext4 lagfix.

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering the same thing. I came from the HTC Hero CDMA and am used to a HUGE amount of stuff to play with. has Sammy come up with a phone so locked down that nobody wants to play with it?

techmik67

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, and here I thought that the 3 or 4 mods and/or roms @ xda were hard to keep up with =) I can't imagine what it must've been like to have all those options....

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Development for this device is in its infancy, but there are a lot of very promising developers working on teh Captivate.

Unfortunately, Froyo is coming out soon (can't believe I actually typed that) so I am sure many devs are hanging back so as not to waste a whole lot of time on Eclair builds that will basically be obsolete in a short while.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Joey, I hope you are right. :) Utlimately, I'd like to see my cap on 2.2, with vanilla android and some of the samsung apps. (Music player is pretty good!)

Majikman

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I feel the same way as the OP. Unfortunately this phone is on AT&T and it is not made by HTC or Motorola. It seems like T-mo and Verizon's HTC/ Moto devices get waaaaay more attention. Over at the Cyanogen Mod site, they are working on a 2.2 build but only for the Vibrant :( I LOVE my Cappy, but I do feel like we are getting a little left out by the ROM community. However, that may be due to the "newness" of these phones.
I mean I can't even find accessories for my Cappy anywhere but the net.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I feel the same way as the OP. Unfortunately this phone is on AT&T and it is not made by HTC or Motorola. It seems like T-mo and Verizon's HTC/ Moto devices get waaaaay more attention. Over at the Cyanogen Mod site, they are working on a 2.2 build but only for the Vibrant :( I LOVE my Cappy, but I do feel like we are getting a little left out by the ROM community. However, that may be due to the "newness" of these phones.
I mean I can't even find accessories for my Cappy anywhere but the net.

The vibrant CM will be ported in...I will say 2 days from the official release. So many Roms and fixs are ported back and forth. The main reason right now for lack of roms (my theory)

• No Froyo gives a why make a full on rom mentality, that I agree with
  • Most of the kernals (that might have been called roms on thier own) are constantly combining giving you one super rom (cognition) instead of several smaller roms
  • There is also still the push to get a touchwiz free rom (much progress has been made in things like FrankenTwiz)

I think most people don't want to make massive amounts of effort on an eclair rom, and for the most part, a feature packed rom, and a light near stock rom are both being worked on.

Majikman

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Hopefully the I9000 will get a 2.2 update soon, and all the ROM cooks will have that to tinker with. I certainly can't wait to have a touchwiz free rom (without the aid of a launcher that is).

Here is hoping that Google makes phone manufacturers put an option to turn off their custom launchers when 3.0 is released. I am sick of all the lag time it takes phone makers to push out new Android OS updates. If all the phones ran Vanilla then everyone could have had 2.2 the day it dropped (assuming their phone could run it) and then put whatever launcher on it they wanted.

I mean imagine if when Micosoft issued an update for Windows I had to wait half a year for Dell to issue me their "special" version of it.

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The vibrant CM will be ported in...I will say 2 days from the official release. So many Roms and fixs are ported back and forth. The main reason right now for lack of roms (my theory)

• No Froyo gives a why make a full on rom mentality, that I agree with
  • Most of the kernals (that might have been called roms on thier own) are constantly combining giving you one super rom (cognition) instead of several smaller roms
  • There is also still the push to get a touchwiz free rom (much progress has been made in things like FrankenTwiz)

I think most people don't want to make massive amounts of effort on an eclair rom, and for the most part, a feature packed rom, and a light near stock rom are both being worked on.

There is a Touchwiz free ROM in the Vibrant Hybrid H3. The only issue I have had is bluetooth but there was a fix in the thread that I just never did. I don't like cognition because if you try to switch to another saved ROM you have to make sure you remove Voodoo fix since it now installs with the zip, as well as make sure you revert the HSUPA because one of those will mess up the phone and give you FC like mad.