Anyone else disappointed on the lack of a 2TB option ?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm the same. Generally hover around 50-60GB used, but they probably could have scammed me into buying the 1TB if it had 16GB RAM.
Why do you need 16GB RAM? What will it allow you to do that 8GB will not...other than allow you to have about 38 apps open in the background? And then the phones built in battery optimization routines kick in and shut down the apps anyway? You do realize that RAM is electronically active all the time the phone is turned on? So the more RAM the more battery it uses whether that RAM is filled with code or not!

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I was getting close to filling my 512GB S23U at nine months of use and had to start deleting and backing stuff up to continue to use my camera and I don't even game on the phone except maybe a couple simple games like Tetris here and there but nothing high end. I also keep some of my main Youtube music playlists downloaded for offline use, I think about about 80GB gets used right there. 1TB models will be the new norm for me soon. And if I did higher end gaming on it or video editing, definitely 2TB could be an need soon.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Why do you need 16GB RAM? What will it allow you to do that 8GB will not...other than allow you to have about 38 apps open in the background? And then the phones built in battery optimization routines kick in and shut down the apps anyway? You do realize that RAM is electronically active all the time the phone is turned on? So the more RAM the more battery it uses whether that RAM is filled with code or not!
Why do you need an S24 Ultra when you have a OnePlus open? The amount of power RAM uses as negligible.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I think having that much data loaded on a device is taking a substantial risk unless you're just not that concerned of something were to happen in which the phone needed a hard reset, effectively wiping the flash memory. That's what makes me miss external SD card slots more than wanting gobs of memory.

And for those who think, "well I have cloud backup, so no big deal," then my question would be why do you still want that much memory?

I suppose that could be an issue if you never backup your phone or just have that as your only storage device.

Just speaking for myself, but I usually drag all of my photos and videos onto my laptop at some point, rate and tag them (key words, GPS adjustments, etc.), then put the ones I'll actually like or will look at regularly back on my phone. It takes a little work, but that usually gives me a system to organize them anyway and make things easy to find. That and I'll usually have the laptop folders contain the same stuff that's on the phone (with the photos I don't need being put on an external drive, if I ever need to go back to them). So if I ever do lose it, it should be a simple drag-and-drop for the ones I wanted on there anyway.

As for the storage space, I actually have to move onto a 1 TB phone for that reason. For the most part, it's music files and pictures that are the culprit. And that's including photos taken on my mirrorless and one-inch point-and-shoot, which usually are much bigger files than phone JPEGs. I try not to judge too much though, as some are content with streaming devices or cloud storage and don't need that type of room (which is cool). But some people like having FLAC files or movies or whatever on their devices, so I get where having the extra storage can be helpful for some, but not all!

Reactions: J Dubbs and Emig5m

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
No I don't even use 256 but I get 512gb that's good enough 3me
Same here, 256 is wasted on me, never come close to using all of it.... but then I wonder why I always end up with 256 gig phones? Lol.

I think we like the extra room "just in case" 😉 Of course it never hurts when you can get 256 for $50 more on top of sales pricing, or even free sometimes ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I think having that much data loaded on a device is taking a substantial risk unless you're just not that concerned of something were to happen in which the phone needed a hard reset, effectively wiping the flash memory. That's what makes me miss external SD card slots more than wanting gobs of memory.

And for those who think, "well I have cloud backup, so no big deal," then my question would be why do you still want that much memory?
Because you can... it's the human mindset lol. Many people, me included, always pick up the pro version of a phone... even though we'll never use most of the pro features, and would be just fine with the cheaper version 😉

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Given the lack of a microSD card slot, I could see the value in having a 2TB model as an option. These high megapixel photos along with the 4K and 8K video features they're touting will undoubtedly fill up storage space somewhat quickly. :cool:
Nope....I have 512 and don't even need that. It would be a lot of extra money that you would never recover on trade in.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually if you operate the device with the RAM almost full you will use a bit more battery due to all the swapping out it has to do. I think 12GB is a happy medium at the moment.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually if you operate the device with the RAM almost full you will use a bit more battery due to all the swapping out it has to do. I think 12GB is a happy medium at the moment.
Speaking of RAM management, it does an awful job with Instagram in particular. It reloads every time and I could just chuck it against a wall!!

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Given the lack of a microSD card slot, I could see the value in having a 2TB model as an option. These high megapixel photos along with the 4K and 8K video features they're touting will undoubtedly fill up storage space somewhat quickly. :cool:
I can't imagine a 2TB on a phone to be honest. I have 512 S23U and only use 60GB, I have all photos going to Google Cloud. All my music in cloud based as well. I have online backup of my phone and I have a local backup to my PC and a external USB drive.
I guess at some point we might see 2TB on a phone. Not too long ago 32GB was the norm!

Reactions: J Dubbs

s2kdriver80

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine a 2TB on a phone to be honest. I have 512 S23U and only use 60GB, I have all photos going to Google Cloud. All my music in cloud based as well. I have online backup of my phone and I have a local backup to my PC and a external USB drive.
I guess at some point we might see 2TB on a phone. Not too long ago 32GB was the norm!

Yea I guess I'm somewhat of a digital packrat. I'm almost filled up with 1TB on my S22U at the moment and I don't even take that much 4K video (would rather stay on FHD60 for the zoom options). We've been at a storage capacity impasse for a few generations, was kind of hoping for a 2TB this time around. Probably partially an economies of scale issue since not many people would opt for this high-cost model to justify production yet. I'll manage. 😁

Reactions: jamezr and J Dubbs

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Rarely does a trade-in give you as much money as an outright sale...although a trade can be more convenient if the prices are close. 12GB RAM is more than enough for anything anyone can possibly do on a cell phone. And while I certainly do not need a 1-TB storage option much less a 2-TB option. I tend to get the highest storage available because while it doesn't affect a trade...it almost always will bring in much more on a sale! YMMV