Rooting Captivate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jkw87

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So I've been trying to root my captivate for a while now... Thing is, it's not working out too well for me. I've followed various videos and simple instructions provided by multiple forums, including this one, but it's still not working out for me. When I go into recovery mode and choose reinstall packages I get "E:Can't open \sdcard\update.zip (No such file or directory) Installation aborted.

Now... I followed everything specifically, and did as directed when renaming the file to update.zip and copying it over onto the internal SD card... Where am I going wrong?

hazardouse21

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
When I clicked the "reinstall packages" button mine said "installing..." (or whatever it's supposed to say) but then it said "installation aborted" without giving a reason. any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Antares

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
not to hijack OPs thread, but i also have a question about rooting.
i just bought a captivate second hand, and the seller stated that the device was rooted. is there any way to check this? what would happen if i were to root again? there are some things i would like to do that require rooting and i spent too much on this beautiful device to brick it.

thanks,
M

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
not to hijack OPs thread, but i also have a question about rooting.
i just bought a captivate second hand, and the seller stated that the device was rooted. is there any way to check this? what would happen if i were to root again? there are some things i would like to do that require rooting and i spent too much on this beautiful device to brick it.

thanks,
M

If you have an app called Superuser it is rooted, if you don't it isn't. Easy as that. It is 99% impossible to brick the phone, so far no person with knowledge has been able to do so.

Antares

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
If you have an app called Superuser it is rooted, if you don't it isn't. Easy as that. It is 99% impossible to brick the phone, so far no person with knowledge has been able to do so.

thanks. i was wondering what that superuser app was.
and this is my first android device after a long, tumultuous affair with Windows Mobile, so it's nice to hear that bricking isn't as much a concern here.

aarik9

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
So I've been trying to root my captivate for a while now... Thing is, it's not working out too well for me. I've followed various videos and simple instructions provided by multiple forums, including this one, but it's still not working out for me. When I go into recovery mode and choose reinstall packages I get "E:Can't open \sdcard\update.zip (No such file or directory) Installation aborted.

Now... I followed everything specifically, and did as directed when renaming the file to update.zip and copying it over onto the internal SD card... Where am I going wrong?

I got the same message, it turns out that I ended up renaming my update.zip to update.zip.zip.

Just rename the file again.

SergioJAM

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just cant root my captivate, i followed step by step every thread about it, but nothing happens.

I was rename the update file as "update.zip" (doesnt work), then "update.zip.zip"(doesnt work again). And doing all the process about turn off the phone, press both volume keys at the same time while turning on the phone, but the phone just start in normal mode, never comes up a different start screen.

The update.zip file is on the right place (\sdcard). So, at this point, i dont know what to do about this.

Can somebody help me please?
Thanks.

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I just cant root my captivate, i followed step by step every thread about it, but nothing happens.

I was rename the update file as "update.zip" (doesnt work), then "update.zip.zip"(doesnt work again). And doing all the process about turn off the phone, press both volume keys at the same time while turning on the phone, but the phone just start in normal mode, never comes up a different start screen.

The update.zip file is on the right place (\sdcard). So, at this point, i dont know what to do about this.

Can somebody help me please?
Thanks.

Go to the market and get an app called Z4 root. Give that a shot and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall