Getting a new S22 Ultra...

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
From what I've heard, I would have preferred to wait for the S23 Ultra (scheduled to be released in March), however, for various reasons, I can't wait as it would leave me without a mobile device/smartphone until March. My current S8 + is working perfectly, however, my IT/home office shut it down because it's no longer getting security updates, patches, etc., and it's now on the "vulnerable" list.

Is anyone jumping on the S23 when it first comes out? Thanks in advance.

David Thomas24

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
From what I've heard, I would have preferred to wait for the S23 Ultra (scheduled to be released in March), however, for various reasons, I can't wait as it would leave me without a mobile device/smartphone until March. My current S8 + is working perfectly, however, my IT/home office shut it down because it's no longer getting security updates, patches, etc., and it's now on the "vulnerable" list.

Is anyone jumping on the S23 when it first comes out? Thanks in advance.

more like FEB 17th if this is right

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle...ped-for-feb-1-at-samsung-unpacked/ar-AA15zA2C

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly... The main reason to wait will probably be the extra year of updates for someone like you. We enthusiasts clamour for the new shiny, but I doubt there will be any meaningful difference between the S22 Ultra and S23 \Ultra. It may even be worse in some regards.

If you're still happy with the S8, you may want to consider an A series and save yourself a few hundred Units of Currency.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Honestly... The main reason to wait will probably be the extra year of updates for someone like you. We enthusiasts clamour for the new shiny, but I doubt there will be any meaningful difference between the S22 Ultra and S23 \Ultra. It may even be worse in some regards.

If you're still happy with the S8, you may want to consider an A series and save yourself a few hundred Units of Currency.

Got it. Thanks. Like I said, I really couldn't wait. It shut down my S8+ on 12/8 -- and I can't go that long without a mobile device. I live on mobile email. I heard the big reason to wait was a new processor for the 23 and it is supposed to be a major improvement over the 22. For someone like me, you are right -- it won't make a difference.

The extra year of updates is a very good point. I tend to use the device until it dies, or at least is on serious life support, LOL. However, I keep saying I am not going to do that any more and I will upgrade after 2 years or so, or maybe 2 models or so. The updates tend to go for how long? A good few years, right? It's just now what, after 5 years or so that the S8 is no longer being supported, getting security patches/updates, etc.? Thanks again!

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Also, when I buy, I tend to buy top of the line, most current, etc. -- I figured it's a good investment, lasts longer for updates, support, etc. Then again, what do I know, I am a tech *****, LOL.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
To bad you can't wait but the S22U is one of the best phones out this year and will serve you well for the next few years. These phones don't go obsolete after only a couple of years. And with sales and crazy trade-in offers you can probably get one cheap.

Got it. Thanks. Like I said, I really couldn't wait. It shut down my S8+ on 12/8 -- and I can't go that long without a mobile device. I live on mobile email. I heard the big reason to wait was a new processor for the 23 and it is supposed to be a major improvement over the 22. For someone like me, you are right -- it won't make a difference.

The extra year of updates is a very good point. I tend to use the device until it dies, or at least is on serious life support, LOL. However, I keep saying I am not going to do that any more and I will upgrade after 2 years or so, or maybe 2 models or so. The updates tend to go for how long? A good few years, right? It's just now what, after 5 years or so that the S8 is no longer being supported, getting security patches/updates, etc.? Thanks again!

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Also, when I buy, I tend to buy top of the line, most current, etc. -- I figured it's a good investment, lasts longer for updates, support, etc. Then again, what do I know, I am a tech *****, LOL.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Other than a bigger main camera at 200MB, TSMC making the qualcomm chips vs, S22 made by Samsung, also rumored special qualcomm for Samsung only (due to samsung going all Qualcomm and droppng Exynos. Looks appear to be about the same.
Would like to know why it would be worse in some regards. But no one even has an idea if it will be or not.

From what I've heard, Samsung will be manufacturing the SoCs. The comment that it could be worse in some regards just comes from the fact this sometimes happens... The S22 Ultra was worse than the S21 Ultra in some ways, for example

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just want that big 200mb camera and the better color rendition at 1750 nits brightness. Everything else on my S22 Ultra is perfect for me.:D

Just curious why having a 200MP camera is so important. Higher megapixels don't mean better picture. I see this as selling feature to sell phones for something that probably won't mean anything. Some people just see higher numbers and think it's better. A simple Google search shows higher megapixels don't mean better pictures, and it's been proven in earlier phones.

I'm not following the s23 that much so I'm just wondering if the 200MP camera is a big improvement or is it just selling tactics.

236ee91c8020accc974d36eb523e33f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just curious why having a 200MP camera is so important. Higher megapixels don't mean better picture. I see this as selling feature to sell phones for something that probably won't mean anything. Some people just see higher numbers and think it's better. A simple Google search shows higher megapixels don't mean better pictures, and it's been proven in earlier phones.

I'm not following the s23 that much so I'm just wondering if the 200MP camera is a big improvement or is it just selling tactics.

236ee91c8020accc974d36eb523e33f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk
Probably selling tactic , I like to be proven wrong