Constant Crashing (Force Close Messages) - Tombstone related?

maggaggie

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I have been searching the forums and can't find anything that sounds like my exact problem. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have the original Galaxy S (Yes, a 3.5 year old phone). I got a message a few days ago that I was low on storage space, so I started clearing caches and deleting apps I don't use often, but my problems keep getting worse.

Here is a list of issues and some notes on what I've tried:
Low data storage warning
The application LogsProvider (process com.sec.android.provider.logsprovider) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. (Force Close)
The application TwLauncher (process com.sec.android.app.twlauncher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. (Force Close)
The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. (Force Close)
When I try to clear the cache on my apps, the biggest one is naturally the Browser. I click clear cache, but it never clears. (The other caches seem to have cleared, but not the browser.)
I can't open the Browser to try to clear the cache another way.
I can't open Messaging to delete texts.
When I get into the Gallery to delete pictures, it says they are deleted, but when I exit out, they re-appear.
I went into the Market to download connectbot so I can check for tombstone files. The market says the app will be downloaded, but then the Market app does a "force close" and the app never downloads.
Actually, pretty much anything I do leads to a "force close".
I tried to connect the device to my laptop, but nothing seems to be happening. (I can't see the device in a file manager tool on the laptop and Kies doesn't recognize the device).
I can't make phone calls, listen to voicemail, or receive texts. (I suspect there are a few large texts waiting for me, based on what friends have told me they sent - not sure if this is what finally triggered the device to go over the edge.)
I uninstalled facebook, since that is a hog of an app.
Running out of ideas now.

I am really at my wits end here and I am hoping someone has a brilliant idea. I don't care about the phone so much, as I am looking to upgrade, but I REALLY care about the data on the phone, so please don't recommend something that will wipe the data. (If it helps, I have never used an external SD card with this phone, but just put one in, hoping I could figure out how to leverage that space.) Based on discussions I've read, my bet is that I have a huge tombstone file out there, but I can't seem to get to it since i can't install an app to see/delete it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been searching the forums and can't find anything that sounds like my exact problem. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have the original Galaxy S (Yes, a 3.5 year old phone). I got a message a few days ago that I was low on storage space, so I started clearing caches and deleting apps I don't use often, but my problems keep getting worse.

Here is a list of issues and some notes on what I've tried:
Low data storage warning
The application LogsProvider (process com.sec.android.provider.logsprovider) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. (Force Close)
The application TwLauncher (process com.sec.android.app.twlauncher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. (Force Close)
The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. (Force Close)
When I try to clear the cache on my apps, the biggest one is naturally the Browser. I click clear cache, but it never clears. (The other caches seem to have cleared, but not the browser.)
I can't open the Browser to try to clear the cache another way.
I can't open Messaging to delete texts.
When I get into the Gallery to delete pictures, it says they are deleted, but when I exit out, they re-appear.
I went into the Market to download connectbot so I can check for tombstone files. The market says the app will be downloaded, but then the Market app does a "force close" and the app never downloads.
Actually, pretty much anything I do leads to a "force close".
I tried to connect the device to my laptop, but nothing seems to be happening. (I can't see the device in a file manager tool on the laptop and Kies doesn't recognize the device).
I can't make phone calls, listen to voicemail, or receive texts. (I suspect there are a few large texts waiting for me, based on what friends have told me they sent - not sure if this is what finally triggered the device to go over the edge.)
I uninstalled facebook, since that is a hog of an app.
Running out of ideas now.

I am really at my wits end here and I am hoping someone has a brilliant idea. I don't care about the phone so much, as I am looking to upgrade, but I REALLY care about the data on the phone, so please don't recommend something that will wipe the data. (If it helps, I have never used an external SD card with this phone, but just put one in, hoping I could figure out how to leverage that space.) Based on discussions I've read, my bet is that I have a huge tombstone file out there, but I can't seem to get to it since i can't install an app to see/delete it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

You can try to reboot into recovery and clear out the system cache that way.

maggaggie

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
You can try to reboot into recovery and clear out the system cache that way.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I do that, it won't delete the data, right?

And how do I do that? I have seen a few posts saying to shutdown, remove and re-insert the battery, and hold down a series of buttons when I restart, but they always seem to list a combination of buttons I don't have (like the camera button). Do you know what the sequence is the for Galaxy S (original) or where I could go to look up something like that?

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.

If I do that, it won't delete the data, right?

And how do I do that? I have seen a few posts saying to shutdown, remove and re-insert the battery, and hold down a series of buttons when I restart, but they always seem to list a combination of buttons I don't have (like the camera button). Do you know what the sequence is the for Galaxy S (original) or where I could go to look up something like that?

Thanks!

As long as you choose wipe cache partition it shouldn't wipe any data. As for how, off the top of my head I do not know.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Power off, and to reboot into recovery hold both volume buttons and power. Release when you see Samsung.

maggaggie

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
As long as you choose wipe cache partition it shouldn't wipe any data. As for how, off the top of my head I do not know.

I figured out how to reboot into recovery mode (vol +, vol -, and power buttons together), but it still wouldn't clear the browser cache. I can't understand how this phone is refusing to delete data (won't delete browser cache, won't delete pics, etc.) Any other ideas?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I figured out how to reboot into recovery mode (vol +, vol -, and power buttons together), but it still wouldn't clear the browser cache. I can't understand how this phone is refusing to delete data (won't delete browser cache, won't delete pics, etc.) Any other ideas?

Other than a reset, no.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

maggaggie

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Other than a reset, no.

Thanks.

Now that I am looking at it with a fresh set of eyes this morning, does anyone know of a way to access the folder structure another way than directly through the phone (e.g. an app on my computer that can access it, or an app I can download to my computer and send to my phone via my an external SD card or...?)

Another thought I had is if the internal SD card can be unmounted, does that mean someone (probably with more expertise than I) can remove it and put it in a new phone and if so, does that help at all?

Can you tell I am getting desperate? :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

Now that I am looking at it with a fresh set of eyes this morning, does anyone know of a way to access the folder structure another way than directly through the phone (e.g. an app on my computer that can access it, or an app I can download to my computer and send to my phone via my an external SD card or...?)

Another thought I had is if the internal SD card can be unmounted, does that mean someone (probably with more expertise than I) can remove it and put it in a new phone and if so, does that help at all?

Can you tell I am getting desperate? :)

Have you tried to update the Samsung drivers? Different USB ports on the PC?

maggaggie

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried to update the Samsung drivers? Different USB ports on the PC?

Managed to get a little data off the phone by repeatedly trying apps until I could get in and copy stuff out. After spending an hour on the phone with tech support, I am going to hit up a "Samsung Experience" desk at the local Best Buy to see if they can figure out why my OS updates haven't installed. Hoping that fixes it. Will report back later. Thanks for all of the help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo