[How-To] Backup and Factory Restore Samsung Captivate

tubbypop

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Odin has been on "Do not turn off target" well over 30 min. Do I just unplug my usb and then re-attach without turning off the phone. Or do I need to redo the whole process over again (post#7). My build is 1010. I previous comments about someone running into the same problem but was still unsure on which way to go.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Odin has been on "Do not turn off target" well over 30 min. Do I just unplug my usb and then re-attach without turning off the phone. Or do I need to redo the whole process over again (post#7). My build is 1010. I previous comments about someone running into the same problem but was still unsure on which way to go.

If Odin hasn't shown anything past "Do not turn off target", then yeah, just unplug it.

Reactions: tubbypop

tubbypop

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Unplugged it and got this.

<ID:0/005> Re-Partition operation failed.
<ID:0/005> Removed!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Big red FAIL! lol

Took out batt redid the process. Working now. Thanks!

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Unplugged it and got this.

<ID:0/005> Re-Partition operation failed.
<ID:0/005> Removed!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Big red FAIL! lol

I've never actually seen that. It would probably scare the crap out of me lol.

Make sure you close and restarting Odin before trying it again. A reboot might be a good idea too.

Reactions: tubbypop

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten that numerous times. It is either from the cord coming loose during the flash, or because it locked up and you had no choice to pull it. But from that exact situation is where you can get one of the couple tougher problems to solve.

Were you coming from a kernel that had voodoo enabled? I rarely use ODIN, except when I have to anymore, but I think I usually had trouble when I forgot to disable Voodoo before flashing back.

EDIT- Also, best bet is to reboot your computer when this happens as well, as the USB system can go wonky when using Odin.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just rooted using SuperOneClick, I was on 2.2 froyo. root worked fine, I was trying to install clockwork mod, so i used the odin tool, it worked and i was back to 2.1, now i'm updating again to 2.2. I'm kinda confused and think i know what it going on but wanted to make sure. so in order to use clockworkmod recovery i have to be on 2.1? thats the whole reason for the downgrade right? i dont want to go back to 2.2 because then i will lose clockwork, is this right? just let the rom I choose upgrade me to froyo or gingerbread?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just rooted using SuperOneClick, I was on 2.2 froyo. root worked fine, I was trying to install clockwork mod, so i used the odin tool, it worked and i was back to 2.1, now i'm updating again to 2.2. I'm kinda confused and think i know what it going on but wanted to make sure. so in order to use clockworkmod recovery i have to be on 2.1? thats the whole reason for the downgrade right? i dont want to go back to 2.2 because then i will lose clockwork, is this right? just let the rom I choose upgrade me to froyo or gingerbread?

You can use this method to install CWM on Froyo.

[RECOVERY] 3e Recovery Modded w/ No Verification - xda-developers

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
ok, thanks!

do i need to go back to odin in order to use a different rom? or can i just flash the new rom over any other so long as they are both froyo or gingerbread?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
ok, thanks!

do i need to go back to odin in order to use a different rom? or can i just flash the new rom over any other so long as they are both froyo or gingerbread?

You usually don't need to, just make sure to wipe data and cache after installing and you should be fine.

Sent from my Captivate

jorleycom

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
After returning my Captivate back to stock (as per above Build 1012) when trying to update the OS I get "unregistered" under Firmware Version and can not up grade.
Ant thoughts?

Thanks

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
After returning my Captivate back to stock (as per above Build 1012) when trying to update the OS I get "unregistered" under Firmware Version and can not up grade.
Ant thoughts?

Thanks

I got the same thing when I did it. Thought I was the only one lol.

You can flash the KB1 file in Odin. Just do it without the .pit file.

KB1 can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=963005

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Use the same method as you used to flash to stock, except replace the JH2 .tar file with the file I linked to
(I think you have to take the .md5 off the file name. It should just end in .tar). Don't use the .pit file.

jorleycom

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Use the same method as you used to flash to stock, except replace the JH2 .tar file with the file I linked to
(I think you have to take the .md5 off the file name. It should just end in .tar). Don't use the .pit file.
This is the file I downloaded and entered into Oden
SGH-I897_I897UCKB1_I897ATTJF6_I897UCKB1_I897UCKB1_UC_ATT.zip

Now when I try to upgrade the OS Kies tells me I have the Latest Version Date: 11/02/19

????
Thanks again

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This is the file I downloaded and entered into Oden
SGH-I897_I897UCKB1_I897ATTJF6_I897UCKB1_I897UCKB1_UC_ATT.zip

Now when I try to upgrade the OS Kies tells me I have the Latest Version Date: 11/02/19

????
Thanks again

KB1 is the latest version of Froyo for the Cappy. The date is just formatted weirdly (should be 2/9/11).

Toad858

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello and thanks for this write up. I was wondering if this JH2 file that i flash contains bootloaders? I have a 1010 build and am planning on flashing an I9000 based gingerbread rom with bootloaders. But if for some reason I want to return to stock could I use this method? Thanks for your help

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello and thanks for this write up. I was wondering if this JH2 file that i flash contains bootloaders? I have a 1010 build and am planning on flashing an I9000 based gingerbread rom with bootloaders. But if for some reason I want to return to stock could I use this method? Thanks for your help

No, it doesn't. I would get a jig (or make one), and use one-click. It'll soft brick, which you use the jig for, then flash JH2. However, I've never done this, so I can't guarantee its safe, but it should work.

If you don't want to do that, you can't wait around for the Gingerbread update to roll out, since that package will contain both bootloaders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress