[How-To] Backup and Factory Restore Samsung Captivate

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Which step for a build 1009?

Oooh, didn't know those even existed lol.

I would make sure you have the parts for a jig, just in case one click doesn't work, but if you can get into download mode by holding both volume buttons and plugging in the usb, then you should be fine.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Holy crap loraque! It worked!!!!! I guess I am not sure what "real" Odin. Is that found in xda?

If you plan on flashing clockwork and flashing a ROM again, use the directions on post 7. If you don't, then do it anyway, and then flash KB1 through the same method. Or just do it through Kies.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Holy crap loraque! It worked!!!!! I guess I am not sure what "real" Odin. Is that found in xda?

Your sentiment was pretty much what mine was, when I managed to recover my phone from what I thought was a brick. I will say magic, instead of voodoo... since voodoo has special meaning for us.

I am not positive, but pretty sure, the phones can crap out on you like that when you ODIN flash on top of a voodoo enabled kernel. Many people may have seen the blue (sometimes red) screen and just pull the battery and go again... but sometimes this happens.

Glad to hear you got it working :).

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Your sentiment was pretty much what mine was, when I managed to recover my phone from what I thought was a brick. I will say magic, instead of voodoo... since voodoo has special meaning for us.

I am not positive, but pretty sure, the phones can crap out on you like that when you ODIN flash on top of a voodoo enabled kernel. Many people may have seen the blue (sometimes red) screen and just pull the battery and go again... but sometimes this happens.

Glad to hear you got it working :).

Might be Voodoo, might be glitchy Samsung software (remember, Odin is leaked from Samsung). Or maybe I'm just bitter lol.

The Rambler

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Might be Voodoo, might be glitchy Samsung software (remember, Odin is leaked from Samsung). Or maybe I'm just bitter lol.

What ever it is, I have been able to flash it back to stock and update it to Froyo :). You guys have been great.

Thanks again!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Does this work with the Rogers version? 1102

You'd need different files for the Rogers Captivate. You could use these if you're just flashing back to flash another ROM, but if you want to go to stock, you need Rogers specific.

tubbypop

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
FAQ

Q: Why do I need this?

A: You can use this to completely remove evidence of rooting from your phone if you want to send it in for repair, or sell it. You can also use this is your phone has been infected by app-borne virus (I believe I just coined that term ;)).

Q: Will this wipe my phone of all data?

A: Yes, this will wipe your phone completely and rewrite the partitions to a stock (the way you bought it) condition.

Q: Will this wipe my SD card?

A: NO, this will not wipe any data on your SD card, only system partitions of the phone itself.

Q: Does this void my warranty?

A: No, in fact if you had a software change that would have have voided your warranty before this will bring you to a state that they will have never known an alteration was made

Q: I am currently running the latest software update, will this return me to this state?

A: No, this will bring you back to Eclair 2.1.1 Firmware build JF6. BUT you will then be able to do an official Kies update to the latest released build

Q: Will i lose any apps or data during this process?

A: You absolutely will, this is a full wipe of your system. But please refer to Post #2 where we will give you steps to take to back up your apps and data. Post #5 after you are done with the wipe and restore will give you the steps to restore the apps and data.

Q: What is Odin?

A: A Flashing program to download Kernels, firmware to Samsung mobile phones. Also used in recovering failed flashes, bricked phones or doing full system wipes and restores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preparations

1. Download and Install Samsung Drivers
Drivers

2. Go to Settings > Applications > Developement > Enable Debugging, then connect your phone to your PC, allow 2-3 minutes to configure drivers
When I go to install the Samsung drivers on my PC it says "SAMSUNG Android USB Modem Software was not installed successfully (16) There is a driver installed for the device, please uninstall it first." Does this mean I already have the drivers that I need to initiate the restore or do I need to delete what I have and use the extract files from the Megaupload website?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
When I go to install the Samsung drivers on my PC it says "SAMSUNG Android USB Modem Software was not installed successfully (16) There is a driver installed for the device, please uninstall it first." Does this mean I already have the drivers that I need to initiate the restore or do I need to delete what I have and use the extract files from the Megaupload website?

Skip that step and see if you can connect it to your computer (put it is mass storage mode, if you can transfer files, then they should be installed).

Reactions: tubbypop

sperson

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Send namecard via
Step 1. From the Home screen, touch contacts

Apps and Data
There are many apps available on the market. But i will suggest My Backup Pro if you purchase you can use this without root. It can be found in the Android Market

1) What is a "namecard"?

2) Thank you for suggesting MyBackup Pro [don't use "My Backup Pro" -- it produces unreadable adware on the Android] The difference is the space between My and Backup in the adware version.
I tried the REAL MyBackup Pro, the full price version right off, and it was slick and easy to use. I noted though that some of the data did not get backed up; to the program's credit, it listed the unsaved data along with the saved data, and distinguished between them.

Thanks again. I've set recurring backups, and I now feel more secure with the upgrade to Froyo, and with the threatened flash reset. News: the Samsung people did NOT call this morning at 11:00 am, as promised.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
1) What is a "namecard"?

I think it's an individual contact file. Don't quote me on that, I borrowed that part of the guide from someone else.

2) Thank you for suggesting MyBackup Pro [don't use "My Backup Pro" -- it produces unreadable adware on the Android] The difference is the space between My and Backup in the adware version.
I tried the REAL MyBackup Pro, the full price version right off, and it was slick and easy to use. I noted though that some of the data did not get backed up; to the program's credit, it listed the unsaved data along with the saved data, and distinguished between them.

Oy vey. Dumb knock-offs. I'll update that.

yesniyah

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Help needed please

My Phone's build number is 1008.
I was trying to flash back to 2.1 with Odin3 one click downloader.
I entered download mode fine, the phone was seen and I got 0:[COM4] in yellow for ID:COM.

When i Clicked start, last message I got was <ID:0/004>File Analysis..
After a short time, the phone lost power, battery fell out.

Now when I turn the phone on, I get the phone-!-computer symbols.
Go back into Download mode and then connect to ODIN again but it gets stuck at the <ID:0/004>File Analysis..

I left it like that all night thinking ti would take a while. 10 hrs later and it's still sitting there.

Can anyone help me please?
I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My Phone's build number is 1008.
I was trying to flash back to 2.1 with Odin3 one click downloader.
I entered download mode fine, the phone was seen and I got 0:[COM4] in yellow for ID:COM.

When i Clicked start, last message I got was <ID:0/004>File Analysis..
After a short time, the phone lost power, battery fell out.

Now when I turn the phone on, I get the phone-!-computer symbols.
Go back into Download mode and then connect to ODIN again but it gets stuck at the <ID:0/004>File Analysis..

I left it like that all night thinking ti would take a while. 10 hrs later and it's still sitting there.

Can anyone help me please?
I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you.

Try the method for 1010 builds (I think its post 7).

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The process never takes more than 5 minutes.

Make sure you are using a rear USB port. Reboot your PC and try again; I have seen where Windows USB gets into a "not working properly" state.

So long as you can get into download mode, you should be recoverable.